Prophecy of the Sea

Submitted into Contest #83 in response to: Write a fantasy story about water gods or spirits.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Teens & Young Adult

While growing up my mother always used to tell me a tale about a water spirit who had to fulfill a prophecy. The story went something like this: Long ago a small fraction of Moon fell into the Pacific Ocean. At the bottom of that ocean layed a body of a young noble girl that drowned in ship wreck years ago and the moon rock touched her. From this collision the dead girl was reborn in a form of a water spirit named Mira. She grew up in the seas and oceans roaming the world’s waters. Mira was immortal and for years she went from sea to sea blessing the waters and watching over the people at seas. The spirit, however, knew that her purpose was bigger than that. She had to complete the prophecy foreseen long before Mira was even born. One day when the spirit turns thousand years old she must step her foot on land roaming the Earth till she find her soulmate – a human lad. They then will fall in love, have twins – brother and sister and the lovers will have to separate. The daughter will take the form of her mother – she will too be the spirit of water and with her mother she’ll be destined to go back to the seas. The son will take the form of the human and will grow up with his father not knowing about his real origin, but only till they both turn eighteen. The day after their eighteenth birthday a boy will embrace his real powers and the girl will finally be able to step on land. The children will then obtain powers as forceful as gods being able to manipulate water for their uses. And finally the day will come when the twins will be reunited once more after their birth. Jointly they will finally bring the water kingdom and the human lands together, spreading peace and saving humanity from inevitably coming universal flood that should be the downfall of humanity.

I used to love that story and wanted to be just like Mira as I am too a water spirit myself, but for me it always seemed more like a curse than a prophecy. I didn’t want to accept the fact that Mira and her husband couldn’t raise their children together and had to be separated only because some prophecy said so. It also bothered me that Mira’s children were forced to grow up not knowing about each other’s existence, both of their parents and their full story since I myself knew how it felt not to know your whole family. Though, I couldn’t complain, because even if I didn’t knew who my father was, many spirits don’t have parent at all as they’re created just like Mira. Yet, I still thought that this tale had its flaws. Well, I guess now I know why I felt like that.

Up until yesterday I was just a simple water spirit. Of course, as a spirit I had the power to bless the water and lead fishes to port cities so that people wouldn’t starve, but that was it. For the past eighteen years my mother and I lived all over the world, well, or all over the oceans, swimming from port to port, but yesterday changed everything. It was my eighteenth birthday and my mother decided that it was time for me to see her kingdom. At first I thought that by her kingdom she meant that she would show me the lands she originated from, except I was wrong. She took me to Atlantis and turns out it is actually her kingdom, like as my mother is a ruler of it. Nevertheless, it wasn’t the only new thing I found out then.

After we got to Atlantis my mother once more reminded me about the story of Mira. As I know now it wasn’t just some tale that my mother liked. It was a legend and a real one in fact. Mother knew that since I turned eighteen it was time for her to reveal the truth. And so she did.

Mira was, no she still, is my mother and I’m the twin daughter from the prophecy. I was shocked to finally learn the truth and at fist didn’t want to believe her. However, deep down I knew mother was telling the truth. I knew because I felt my powers becoming stronger with each passing minute. It was my eighteenth birthday and the prophecy was once more happening.

Now, even though only a day had passed since I learned the truth, everything seems so obvious. No wonder why all those years of my existence my mother repeated the legend to me. No wonder I would see her observing people at coasts deep in her thought. She was missing my father and brother that had been ripped apart of her just after his birth. And yet, even if it all seems so obvious now it couldn’t have been then. My mother is a smart spirit and she made sure I didn’t know the truth until it was the right time.

In that thousand years she spend roaming the waters before stepping on land my mother found her asylum in Atlantis – a once great civilization’s city that was submerged by waves of Mediterranean Sea. Atlantis was located just besides the shore of the largest Greece’s island Crete. My mother chose to form her kingdom there gathering hundreds of spirits and other water creatures there. Atlantis began thriving once more, gracing Greek people with marine treasures and protection from my mother. The Greek began offering my mother contributions as thanking gifts and worshiping her for the blessing she gives to their waters. The Greek called her sea spirit Hali as an alternative for her real name Mira. This was the reason why all these years I couldn’t add two together. When my mother left Atlantis to go on human lands she went all the way to Australia so that her past life couldn’t reach her. She knew very well that years would pass till she would finally be able to come back home or the prophecy mightn’t be completed. Thus, after mother gave birth to me and my brother it was also her choice to live by the name Hali and only go back to Atlantis on my eighteenth birthday.

Though, back to the present. Today’s finally the day I’m able to set my foot on land and find my other half of the family. I’m actually only minutes away from doing it. Mother accompanied me all the way to Australian shores and I promised her to find my brother. She then told me the name of my father and the address of the place that he lived in. After that my mother gave me some human money collected from seas and left me at the Sydney’s coast.

And so my journey begins. As I’m emerging from the deep Pacific Ocean to the Sydney’s beach, I can feel the sun’s warmth. For the very first time I’m taking a step on the surface without water surrounding me and it feels weird, but in a good kind of way. My feet are heavy and my long flowy navy blue and white dress is tangling around my legs. Yet, even if it feels different I’m definitely liking being on land. As I get used to the heaviness of my body I decide to walk for a bit to a less crowded spot on the beach before using my water manipulating powers to dry off my clothes because a long way ahead of me is awaiting.

After hours of walking around Sydney and asking people for directions I’m finally standing in front of the house my father and brother lives in. As I stand here I can feel the nervousness becoming more vivid each second. Finally, though, I force myself to ring the doorbell.

A one very long and nerve wracking minute had passed before the doors in front of me opened. Behind them stood a beautiful young woman and at that moment all sorts of emotions began running through me - confusion, shock, anger, resentment. Maybe my father doesn’t even remember my mother and wants nothing to do with me, maybe he married again. Yet I couldn’t blame him as it was not his choice to leave me and my mother, so after all those feeling my common sense returned.

“G’day, dear, how can I help ya?” a woman asked looking at me with the same confusion I had.

“Um, I’m sorry to bother you, but does Muraco Osbourne live here?” I inquired without much confidence.

“Sorry, my dear, he doesn’t live here anymore. I bought this house from him a few years ago”

“Oh,” I wasn’t quite sure what to do now, but thought it was worth a shot trying to ask her one more question. “Well, maybe you know where he lives now?”

“I’m not so sure,” the woman thought for a bit. “Though, I reckon Muraco said he was moving to Melbourne with his son”

“Thank you! You’ve just helped me a lot,” happiness began filling me from inside. The woman gave me a lead at least where to find my father. “Oh, but one more thing, how could I get to Melbourne?”

“So you’re not from here,” she thought aloud. “There’s a bus station a few kilos from here in that direction” a woman showed with her hand.

“Thank you, once more.”

“No wucka’s, dear” she smiled as I walked away.

After a day long trip with a bus I eventually reached Melbourne. However, that did not lessen my worries. Now I had no clue where to begin my search. A moment later I thought to myself - a walk to a beach could do no harm. And mother did mention that my father always loved the beaches, so maybe serendipity will bring us together.

As I reached the beach and was walking along the shoreline enjoying the warmth of the sun an unexpected thing happened.

“Careful!” I head a bawl and the next thing I knew I was lying on the sand with a boy about my age on top of me. He must’ve lost control of his surfboard since it was lying right besides us.

“I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to bump into ya,” a boy quickly apologized clearly embarrassed about this situation. “Did I hurt ya?”

“Don’t worry about me, I’m fine,” I answered without a hesitation and hastily put my palm to my scratched elbow so that my water powers would heal it. “Though, are you alright yourself?” I asked to distract him from what I was doing.

“Yeah, I’m okay,” the boy ran his hand through his hair. “But really I am sorry. The wave was too big for me to stop my board before crushing into ya. Let me somehow make it up to ya.” He then thought for a bit before uttering once more “I’m Kano, by the way.”

“Well, nice to meet you Kano, I’m Anahita and I’m afraid I’ll have to decline your offer to make it up for me as I’m actually on kind of a mission right now.”

“Fair dinkum? Well maybe I can help you somehow,” he didn’t get lost from my answer. “Tell me, what’s this mission of yours?” a boy smiled.

“I’m looking for someone-” I started replying and suddenly before I could even finish my sentence I saw one more boy running towards us.

“Mate, I was looking for you everywhere,” the boy shouted to Kano and then his gaze went straight to me. “Whoa, Kano, you know ya two look so much alike it’s like I can see you but in a girl’s body.” I didn’t know who the boy was, but after those words I realized it myself. We did look alike. Kano had the same bright aquamarine eyes, pale-ish skin and ash blonde hair. Even his facial features were very similar to mine. It was actually like I was looking at my reflection in a form of a boy.

“And I’m sorry one again. Don’t mind Jean, he always says everything that comes to his mind,” Keno said before throwing a glare at the boy, whose name as I understood was Jean. “So ya were saying you’re looking for someone?”

“Yeah, I’m looking for Muraco Osbourne. Maybe you know him by any chance?” I inquired with hope. Forthwith both of the boys’ faces went in a state of shock.

“Wait, why are you looking for my dad?” Kano puzzled confused. And then it hit me. Kano is my twin brother that’s why we both look so much alike. Fate really has a funny way of finding its course. My searched were over as by serendipity I did find exactly who I was looking for. At that moment I was overwhelmed by joyous emotions and didn’t notice myself how I hugged still confused Kano. He was my brother and I wanted the moment to last.

Afterwards I explained everything to Kano and he took me to see our father. It was also one of the happiest moments of my life. I was reunited with my family and found out that father never forgot me or my mother. He was just as delighted to meet me as I was to meet him. Moreover, from that moment I accidently met Kano in the beach we became inseparable. We spend weeks getting to know each other and finally fully embracing out powers. Hence, I guess now the only thing left to do is wait for the flood.

March 05, 2021 10:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.