0 comments

Funny

Title: The Unbreakable Resolve

Karen was determined to not have her day spoiled. She had woken up early, feeling rested and energized, and was looking forward to a productive day at work. She had planned out her schedule meticulously, and had made a to-do list that she was determined to complete by the end of the day. Karen had even set a reminder on her phone to take breaks every two hours, to avoid feeling overwhelmed or stressed.

As she got ready for work, Karen felt a sense of excitement building up inside her. She felt like she was in control of her life, and that nothing could stand in her way. Karen had always been a determined person, and she believed that with enough focus and hard work, anything was possible.

As she stepped out of her apartment, Karen noticed that the sky was overcast, and there was a light drizzle in the air. She shrugged it off, knowing that she had an umbrella in her bag, and that the rain wouldn't stop her from having a good day.

However, as she walked towards the bus stop, Karen realized that the rain was starting to come down harder. The wind had picked up, and her umbrella was struggling to stay upright. Karen could feel her hair getting wet, and her shoes were starting to soak through.

"Just my luck," Karen muttered to herself. "Of course it would rain on the one day I have important meetings to attend."

Despite the rain, Karen managed to catch her bus on time, and found a seat towards the back. She was relieved to be out of the rain, but she could feel her clothes sticking to her skin, and she knew that she would be uncomfortable for the rest of the day.

Karen took a deep breath, and tried to focus on the positive. She had arrived at work early, which meant that she could grab a cup of coffee and get settled in before her first meeting. She knew that her colleagues would be impressed by her punctuality, and she felt a surge of confidence.

As she walked towards the coffee machine, Karen noticed that there was a long line of people waiting to use it. She checked her watch, and realized that she didn't have enough time to wait in line and still make it to her meeting on time.

Karen felt her patience slipping away. She had planned her morning so carefully, and now everything was going wrong. She could feel her frustration building up, and she was on the verge of tears.

Just then, she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around, expecting to see a colleague, but instead, she saw a stranger. He was tall, with curly hair and a kind smile.

"Excuse me," he said. "I couldn't help but notice that you look upset. Is everything okay?"

Karen was taken aback by the stranger's kindness. She hesitated for a moment, but then decided to open up to him. She told him about her plans for the day, and how everything seemed to be going wrong.

The stranger listened patiently, and then offered her a solution. He told her that there was a coffee shop just a few blocks away, and that she could grab a cup of coffee there instead.

Karen was hesitant at first, but then she realized that the stranger was right. She didn't have to let a long line and a broken coffee machine ruin her day. She thanked the stranger, and headed out towards the coffee shop.

As she walked, Karen felt a sense of gratitude towards the stranger. She had been so focused on her own problems, that she had forgotten that there were kind people in the world who were willing to help others. She felt a renewed sense of determination, and knew that she could tackle any challenge. As Karen walked into the coffee shop, she felt a wave of relief wash over her. The warm, cozy atmosphere of the shop was a welcome change from the cold, rainy morning outside. She ordered a latte and a croissant, and found a seat by the window.

As she sipped her coffee and nibbled on her croissant, Karen felt her mood start to lift. She watched as people walked by outside, holding their umbrellas and rushing to get to their destinations. She realized that everyone was dealing with their own struggles, and that it was up to each individual to decide how they reacted to them.

Karen felt a renewed sense of resolve. She knew that she had an important day ahead of her, and that she couldn't let a few setbacks ruin it for her. She finished her coffee, and headed back to work, feeling more focused and determined than ever.

Karen's first meeting of the day was with her boss, Mr. Johnson. She had been preparing for this meeting for weeks, and was determined to make a good impression. She had rehearsed her presentation countless times, and had even made notes on how to handle any potential objections or questions.

As Karen walked into Mr. Johnson's office, she noticed that he seemed distracted. He was looking at his computer screen, and didn't seem to notice her at first.

"Good morning, Mr. Johnson," Karen said, trying to break the silence.

Mr. Johnson looked up, and smiled when he saw Karen.

"Good morning, Karen," he said. "Sorry for the delay. I've been dealing with a crisis this morning, and it's been taking up a lot of my time."

Karen felt a wave of panic wash over her. She had been preparing for this meeting for weeks, and now it seemed like it was going to be postponed.

However, Karen reminded herself of her earlier resolve. She took a deep breath, and asked Mr. Johnson if he would like to reschedule the meeting for another time.

Mr. Johnson looked surprised, but then nodded.

"That's very considerate of you, Karen," he said. "But I think we can still have our meeting today. Let's get started."

Karen was relieved, and felt a renewed sense of confidence. She launched into her presentation, and was pleased to see that Mr. Johnson was engaged and interested.

As the meeting drew to a close, Karen felt a sense of accomplishment wash over her. She had successfully navigated a difficult morning, and had still managed to make a good impression on her boss.

Karen spent the rest of the day tackling her to-do list with renewed energy and focus. She took breaks every two hours, just as she had planned, and was careful to stay hydrated and well-fed.

As the day drew to a close, Karen felt a sense of satisfaction. She had accomplished everything she had set out to do, despite the setbacks she had faced earlier in the day. She realized that sometimes, life throws unexpected challenges at us, and it's up to us to decide how we react to them.

Karen walked out of her office building, feeling a sense of pride and accomplishment. She had proven to herself that she was capable of overcoming obstacles, and that she was unbreakable in her resolve. She smiled as she stepped out into the still-rainy evening, knowing that no matter what challenges lay ahead, she was ready to face them head-on.

March 09, 2023 05:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.