Flower Aura

Submitted into Contest #86 in response to: Write a story where flowers play a central role.... view prompt

0 comments

Coming of Age People of Color

            Flower Aura

       When words are not enough

Flowers celebrate love, comfort in sorrow, congratulations on achievements and friendships. Flower messages have varied over the centuries. Not only do they appear beautiful and appealing to the eyes, they play an important role in our daily life.

“When spring comes, forsythias bloom first. And when the forsythias start to wither, magnolias bloom. Then when the magnolias wither, cherry blossoms bloom. By the time the cherry blossoms wither and drop the lilacs are in full bloom. And when the lilacs wither, acacia flowers bloom. Then the mountain breeze carries the aroma of the flowers.”

~ Cha Eun-seok

 Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol ( k-drama )   

Have you ever noticed how fond people in K-drama world are of the language of flowers ? Particularly when they are buying a bouquet for a proposal, they’d often ask the florist to help them select flowers with the most appropriate meaning. Here are some of the meanings mentioned in K-Dramas we’ve come across. 

Aconitum /Wolf’s bane = Misanthropy and Death

Flower lover Jung Saet-byul asks a group of youngsters that just stole goods from the convenient store she works at in Backstreet Rookie, the meaning of Wolf’s Bane, better known as Aconitum, letting them know that this is what future looks like: ‘Misanthropy and Death’. She presents a bouquet of these to a hospitalized man who had accused her boss of selling expired food. The meaning she implied with those flowers was ‘Don’t upset me’.

Anemone = Betrayal and Helpless love, Loneliness

“Isn't it pretty? This flower’s called an anemone,” Lee Se-joo tells his mother, as he shows her a photo when visiting her in the hospital in The Great Seducer. “It means many things,”he continues and thinks back to when Choi Soo-ji talked about this flower at her hideout, with the same words that he repeats to his mother: “Betrayal. Helpless love. Empty love. Thanks for being there for me. I will give you my everything. Even if you don’t love me, I still love you. It has so many meanings and every one of them is sad. This is my flower from now on. Remember that.”

Baby’s breath = Pure eternal love

Trust the sweet Kim Geum to gift Seon Ok-nam the kind of flowers that are as gentle and delicate as his heart and soul, on their first date in Mama Fairy and the Woodcutter. That, and the fact that 700 stalks of roses would have been pretty expensive; but we’re sure Ok-nam, appreciated the gesture all the same. While the characters did not particularly delve into it, some of what it represents perfectly encapsulates how Geummie feels about his Fairy: “Everlasting and undying love, pureness and freedom, reconnecting with lost loves”--now found again, never to be let go in this life.

Buckwheat Flower = Lover

“Lover” is what Kim Shin answers when asked by Ji Eun-tak in The Goblin about what buckwheat flowers mean. Shin offers her these buckwheat flowers when Eun-tak first calls him. 

Cherry Blossom = Catching a falling cherry blossom makes your first love come true

Park Kyung-sun also clearly fell for Kim Hae-il’s physical features at first sight and she did not hesitate in her attraction. While bickering in The Fiery Priest, they also got close and finally became partners in crime. Does the splendid cherry blossoms at the tail end of the show, foreshadow a blossoming of a love-line between the two.

In short: If two people walk or sit under cherry blossoms at the beginning of the show, they will eventually end up together.

Freesia = New Beginning

“Did you know that freesias mean ‘a new start’?” Oh Tae-yang asks Cha Sun-hee in Good Witch, when he proposes to her with these flowers -- only to be rejected directly.

Purple Hyacinth = Sorry 

Yoon Yoo-jung says sorry to Cha Woo-Hyun with a box containing apples and a bouquet of purple Hyacinth in episode 4 of Fluttering Warning. 

Lily of the Valley = Return to Happiness

When Han Deuk-gu tags along to Kim Bo-ra’s brother’s grave, he sees that it is surrounded by the lily of the valley in episode 2 of The Snow Queen. “Do you know the meaning of this flower?” he asks Bo-ra. Then, he answers his own question: “You will surely find happiness.” A little later Bo-ra asks him again about the flower’s meaning, and after hearing it she retorts with: “That’s an impressive phrase.”

Rosa Multiflora = Longing for family

In episode 1 of When I Was The Most Beautiful, Oh Ye-ji comes to what looks like her former neighbourhood. While watching her mother pass by her without recognizing her and being absorbed in talking with her other daughter, Ye-ji starts to sing, slowly, with a broken, longing voice as she remembers the times spent together with her mother.

“On my mom’s way to work 

There are white wild roses

The white petals of wild roses

Tastes very good.

When I got hungry

I gently picked one

And ate it.

Maaa, maaa

I called you out and ate the rose.”

Red & White Rose = Making up 

“I heard that it means that you want to make up [after a fight] if you give red and white roses together,”says a sincere Han Jae-hyun to Yoon Ji-soo in episode 14 of When My Love Blooms. 

White Tulip = Forgiveness

In episode 15 of Backstreet rookie, Saet Byul brings De-hyun’s father a bouquet of white tulips for his wife, as a way to seek her forgiveness.

Last few words

Flowers are one of the beautiful blessings from nature that is the most important of flowers in our life. According to Research, blossoms have a healing effect on people who receive them as a gift and who keep them in their homes. It’s natural beauty and enchanting fragrance surely delight you special ones immensely and also add a love-filled statement to your occasions.

According to my thoughts, By only this way I can prove that flowers really plays a center role in our life. 

When words are not enough to express what you feel, flowers could make it.

March 26, 2021 17:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.