0 comments

Horror LGBTQ+ People of Color

The blazing sun reflected off the murky lake. Red and oranges covered the sky, painting it. It burned uncomfortable against her thighs as cool air danced on her skin. A shiver made its way up her spine as she breathed in the fresh air. Beside her, she could feel her friend shiver from the air as well. 

She looked away from the scene and turned to her friend, who was covered by the golden light. It covered part of her dark skin in shadow while lighting the other parts of it up. A smile graced her cheeks as she relived the years she had spent with the girl by her side.

She had been the first to be told when her friend had come out. And was there whenever she got her soft heartbroken. She was there to kill every spider and insect that came in Arya’s path. 

It was weird that such a scared person would enjoy coming out to the middle of the forest. Currently, the two girls sit at the shore of the lake, their bare feet barely touching the water.

“So,” Arya broke the silence “Why did you call a surprise camping trip?” The Latina woman moved her head away from the sun to give her friend the attention she deserved.

The slightly chubby Korean girl looked down and fiddled with the sleeves of her sweatshirt. Her usually squared shoulders caved in and hid her from Arya’s view. It had taken a long time for The taller to get the nerve to speak about the obvious issues bothering her friend, she was usually so outspoken about them. She didn’t have to push often.

“You know you can tell me anything, right?” She asked Vi hesitantly, unsure as to how to reassure her. She was met with a small nod from Vi.

Vi took in a shaky breath and lifted her head. Upon making eye contact with a worried Arya, tears started falling from her eyes. Arya’s hands hovered for a second, before resting calmly on the other girls shaking shoulders. She rubbed Vi’s arms soothingly, trying to stop her panic.

“I’m pregnant.” Vi eventually choked out, Arya’s rubbing stopped in shock. “It’s Dan’s.” Sobs still shook the girl's frame.

“Oh, Vi.” Arya fully hugs the girl, trying to offer any comfort she could. Vi, once she had ripped the bandaid off, couldn't stop trying to explain her situation to her best friend. 

“He accused me of cheating, and broke up with me, and refused to help me. Not that I want that jerks help anyway, but I don’t know how I’m going to raise them. I’m not qualified to be a mother!” She was babbling and shaking harder. Arya pulled back from their hug to look her in the eyes.

“Vi! You're not alone, I’m going to be there every step of the way, I’ll help however I can.” She assured her friend. A little Vi running around would be too cute to miss, and the woman would finally let her caring side take hold instead of trying to be strong all the time.

“But you hate kids, and you just got in a relationship, won’t she be jealous?” Vi said miserably. Arya was already shaking her head, ready to once again reassure her panicked friend when a noise sounded from the treeline behind them.

They both froze staring off into the shadowed woods trying to focus their ears to figure out what made the noise. They both realized, with extreme relief, that day had overcome the night during their talk.  Arya was just about to announce the sound as a woodland creature, but a footstep in the leaves sounded in the silent air. Vi stood from her sitting position and wiped her eyes. Arya tried to grab her hand and pull her back, but she was already out of reach. 

Vi made a shushing motion and approached the noise. As she neared the treeline she glanced back to the petrified Arya and smiled reassuringly. Arya was viciously shaking her head, begging Vi to come back. Vi looked forward and entered the treeline, and walked out of sight.

Arya’s whole body was tense as she waited for any sight of Vi. Why was the pregnant lady walking into the obvious death trap? But, after not even a minute of waiting, Vi’s scream echoed through the still night. Arya shot up, already on the way to help her friend, when she blinked and looked up to the glowing sunset sky.

She looked over and found Vi, holding in her panic trying to muster the courage to inform her best friend of her pregnancy. Arya wiped around to the now illuminated woods and found nothing but trees. Vi was looking at her strangely, but Arya took her hand and pulled her to a standing position. 

Arya was given a chance to save them, she was going to take it. She walked through the path that would lead them to Vi’s car. Looking this way and that for any movements, Vi stayed silent behind her. The Korean girl looked around for anything suspicious, saving the questions for after they were safe. 

The night had overturned again and Anya could see the turn to where the car could be up ahead. Her heart was pounding in her chest and she looked at the smaller figure beside her. Vi’s usually sunny face was pulled down in concentration. Her breathing was quiet and her steps deliberate as she listened for what could be freaking Arya out so much. 

Birds chirped high up their trees as the top of the car roof came into sight. The pair breathed a sigh of relief before jogging in that direction. When they parted to go to their respective sides of the car, Arya heard footsteps heading to her friend.

She spun around just in time to see a medium-sized figure in a mask reach for where she knew her friend was. The Latina’s breath stopped and she ran to help.

When she got over to the side, Vi was knocked out and slumped against the truck. Her knuckles looked raw and the killer looked rumpled as a little blood could be spotted under his nose. The pride she felt soon was replaced by fear as the killer walked closer to her friend.

She picked up a branch and dashed forward as the killer took out a knife. She hit his hand and the knife went tumbling out. She spun around and hit the man in the face. 

He stumbled back then pushed her out of the way to walk toward the unconscious girl leaning against the car. Arya fell a few feet away and realized she couldn’t get there before him. 

“Why are you only going after her? Am I not good enough for you to murder? This is a little homophobic. Why don’t you come toward me instead?” She pleaded as pushed herself off the ground. 

She knew she was too late when she heard Vi scream. She opened her eyes and saw the sky soaked in reds and oranges once again.

--

They ran.

Every time he came they ran.

No matter how much Arya rushed Vi away from the lake, no matter where they went, he always found them.

He would always go after Vi. Whenever Arya intervened, he pushed her away and set his sights on Vi once more. 

Again and again and again. 

Arya was tired. She was getting tired of the once pretty sunrise in the distance, tired of the delicate rays of the sun reflecting off of them, reflecting off the blood on her hands.

And once again she looks up to find those bleeding colors painted across the sky and her friends' troubled expression. But, she had to keep going. Vi would do the same and more for her in a heartbeat. 

She once again took Vi’s hand and led her through the woods. The soft light from the sunrise was dimly shadowing the various leaves and branches, making her paranoid eyes swivel every which way even though she knew exactly where the killer would show up.

She easily evaded the heavy footsteps and led her friend through the forest.  

They ran for hours. He was always near the car, so Arya had decided long ago to bypass the vehicle and search for help on the main road. The main road was nearly 17 miles south of the little lake. But it would take much more time to cross the distance, they had to double back and sneak through most of the path.

Midday passed fairly quickly, and from the rapid shadowing of the sky, it was getting dangerously close tonight. The pretty purples and pinks of sunset reflected their bruised knees and sweaty faces. They were both exhausted and had barely said any words to one another in fear of the killer hearing them. But they stayed close to each other, unwilling to get separated. They had made it this far together and they were both determined to make sure the other got out of this alive. 

Before Arya knew it, the sky was pitch black, the full moon casting an eerie glow to the trees. 

They came up to another area where the forest met the lake, they took a small rest to regain some energy. They were almost there. Arya could imagine the sound of zooming cars. She could do it this time, they were going to make it. 

But once again, heavy footsteps echoed from the treeline of the forest. They both quickly hid behind a bush just on the edge of the beach. 

Arya's fist clenched and she felt anger rise in her. She shouldn't have gotten hopeful, and she shouldn't have urged them to rest. This was her fault, she couldn't even protect her friend. 

Arya didn’t know she was crying until she felt a teardrop hit her hand. Vi was concerned and carefully made her way towards the crying girl. She wiped the tears from her cheeks and mouthed a question.

“Are you okay?” Arya nodded, lip wobbling in her attempt to stop her tears.

“I can’t save you.” She mouthed back, holding in the sob that was swelling in her throat. Vi shook her head vigorously from side to side.

“You’ve kept me alive this far, we’re going to make it. I’m sure.” Vi smiled at Arya, gently hugging her.

But she went stiff, and they realized too late that they weren’t alone. Vi, with a gnarly stab wound in the back, flopped down to the ground. Arya screamed louder than Vi did, her anger causing her to fly at the killer. 

She was on the sticky sand, blood dripping from her abdomen when she realized she had been stabbed. Vi had curled up by her, trying to breathe through her own pain. 

And as her arms grew cold and her head foggy, and as Vi went limp by her side she looked to her friend’s tear-streaked face before looking to the dark sky above.

“I’m going to save you.” She whispered as she watched the moon reflecting off the lake. The water was starting to turn different shades of red and orange in the moonlight.

November 21, 2020 00:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.