0 comments

Mystery

“Brendon, it’s not safe.” Hugo warned his boyfriend.

“It’s fine, Hugo. I’ve been in there before.” Brendon shrugged off Hugo’s warnings. He was always worried about Brendon.

“You’ve been in before? Brendon, you’ll be killed! There’s wolves in there.” Brendon glared at Hugo when he mentioned the Wolves.

“I work with wolves on the daily Hugo. I’m not going to die.” Hugo stared at his boyfriend as Brendon grabbed his black bag off the floor by the door and left.

As Brendon went through the woods he knew he should’ve listened to Hugo, but not for the reasons Hugo said. He’s right, these woods are dangerous, not because of the wolves though. They’re the one’s keeping it even remotely safe. Brendon knows what’s in the woods, he’s the one that put it there.

The Unicorn was a mythical species that everyone thought was friendly and caring. Everyone who met one - and lived to tell the tale - said otherwise. Brendon knew that the herd living in the woods wouldn’t hesitate to rip him to shreds should he upset or aggravate them.

As Brendon followed the tracks the herd left he felt himself being watched. Usually this would send anyone running out of the woods, not Brendon though. He needed to check the wolf population, make sure the unicorns weren’t killing them. He pulled out a small silver dagger, holding it loosely at his side as to not seem like he was ready to attack, but ready to defend.

When nothing came near him after a few moments, Brendon continued walking, keeping the dagger in his hand. He knew that sooner or later he would encounter either the wolves or the unicorns, and he rather encounter the wolves first. They recognize him as one of their own and will fight off any unicorn that tried to harm him.

Sadly, the unicorns came first. A foal approached him and he slowly stepped away from it. A foal didn’t pose much danger on it’s own, but the dam and sire where always close by.

Brendon watched as the foal continued to follow him, he knew this wasn’t unusual behavior for the speceises, but Brendon happened to prefer his organs inside his body rather than spilled out on the ground.

As the foal got closer he heard the sound of horses trotting. The foal knowing that it’s parents were coming turned away from Brendon, however; it didn’t leave him. Almost like it was trying to keep him prisoner.

As the sound of the hooves got closer the more worried Brendon became, he would surely be killed by the sire. He’s within arm’s reach of the foal!

The foal let out a whinny, catching the attention of the two unicorns that were trotting down the path. When they stopped the foal walked over to the smaller one, the dam Brendon decided. The larger of the two lowered his head and shook it. Brendon knew what he was doing. He was challenging him.

Brendon knew better than to fight a full grown Unicorn with his dagger, he only had the dagger in case he got caught in a surprise attack. He slowly placed the dagger on the ground and kicked it into the bushes off to the side. He then got down on his stomach and laid still, the Unicorn would sniff him and leave.

At least, that’s what he thought would happen.

Instead the Unicorn pawed the ground and charged Brendon. The horn pierced the top of his head, killing him instantly.

Hugo wouldn’t know what became of Brendon until the next day when he mustered the courage to entre the woods and found his boyfriends dead body. A large hole in the top of his head and various smashed bones. Hugo knew it was because of the unicorns Brendon never seemed to fear.



November 20, 2019 17:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.