The Night of the Witches

Submitted into Contest #65 in response to: Write about a group of witches meeting up on Halloween night.... view prompt

2 comments

Thriller Suspense Holiday

It was a dark and spooky night. The wolves were howling and the fog was rolling in. I had been walking on the moist grass ready to climb over the brick wall. The leaves crunched under my feet as I started climbing. I gazed over the brick wall and gasped when I saw what was there. There were ten eyes staring back at me with the most unusual look. Let me tell you how this all started.

 It was Halloween night, just like any other year. But this year would be extremely different. My best friend Addilyn and I were going around to houses in our neighborhood collecting candy. This year I was a bunny and she was a kangaroo. My itchy costume rubbed against me as we walked to the last few houses. We arrived at the doorstep of the next house. "Trick or Treat!" I exclaimed holding out my candy bag. The lady who lived in this house had a very interesting history. Her house was the only house that stayed strong after every natural disaster we have ever had. You name it; hurricane, tornadoes, and even blizzards. Not a single scratch on her house. There was this weird aura surrounding the house and an eerie feeling of someone watching us. I shrugged the feeling off, as she tossed candy into our bags. Addilyn and I peered into our bags and looked at what candy she gave us. It was a black ball, small and hard, sitting evenly on the top of our bags. Addilyn and I were having a candy competition, to see who got the most candy by the end of the night so we were always comparing our amounts with one another. It was time for Addilyn to go home; I hugged her and watched her walk back home. I decided to go back home as well. I walked under the full moon along the worn-out road. I stared at my candy bag as I walked trying to estimate how many candies I had gotten. A black raven sat on a stone in front of me cawing. I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked behind and gasped. It was the old lady in the house that I had just visited. She said, "Follow me young one. It is now your turn." She began to pull me towards her. My candy spilled out and I tried to run. But there was a force pushing me back to her; I didn't know what to do. She pulled out a shiny jetpack. 'A jetpack?' I thought in my mind. She extended her arm out and I had no choice but to take it. We went higher and higher into the night sky. The trees swayed in the breeze while I was helplessly flying away with a random old lady. I was shocked. What was she doing!?!? As I opened my mouth to talk, no sound came out. I tried to wave down below for help. "Don't try anything. You won't be able to leave," she said. I was so scared but found it pretty cool that I was flying in the air. She landed herself down on the ground and told me to wait by a hedge of trees. 'Now is my chance!' I thought in my mind. I took a few soft steps careful not to slip on top of the wet grass. There was a brick wall in front of me. I was determined to escape so I decided to climb it. I placed my foot onto a gap in the old wall, trying not to fall. I stuck my head over the wall and gasped when I saw what was there. Five witches staring back at me with a creepy look in their deep brown eyes. "Welcome," one of them said. I jumped to the ground and stared at them. I didn't know how to respond. They came closer to me. I took a step back. "We won't hurt you, you know," a different one exclaimed. "Who are you?" I asked. I watched them give each other knowing looks. "We are witches," they said. "AAAAAA!!" I screamed, looking for a way to run. "Don't eat me! I'll leave immediately!!" I said nervously. They chuckled and said, "Oh, darling, we don't eat humans. Everyone assumes the worst of us witches. They think we ride on brooms, all have black cats, big hats, and are very mean. But that is simply not true." A different one said, " Do you seriously think that we like big hats? As a matter of fact, we don't even use brooms anymore, we use jetpacks. And trust me, black cats are nothing but trouble." "And the worst assumption of all is that we are mean people," said the old lady who had given me candy previously. I was shocked, how in the world had I ended up here? I thought about those assumptions and decided that those were actually what most people thought about witches. "Why are you here?" I asked them. "We are enjoying Halloween just like the rest of you. We love pranking the kids you know," she said with a wink. I honestly did not know what to do. "Would you like a ride around town?" one of them said. "Sure...?" I said nervously. "Well hop on then!" She exclaimed. They attached a jetpack on me and we flew into the sky. While we were flying, one of them said to me, "And here is your candy bag that you dropped earlier." She handed it to me and I was astonished. All my candy was in there and not even a single tear on the bag! "Thank you but how did you get it?" I asked her. "Magic.... Just kidding!" She said laughing. They dropped me back at my house and waved goodbye. Tonight had been a very interesting night with some very interesting new friends. As I snuggled under my bed covers, eating candy. I knew that I would remember this night for the rest of my life. 

October 30, 2020 20:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Roland Aucoin
23:05 Nov 05, 2020

Good 1st story, Sk Sk. (Is this a 'pen name'?). Straightforward, expressive as a child would see and feel. My only feedback is on the ending. As you didn't categorize it as a 'children's story', I felt it was rather simple. Good for a child, but left me expecting more. Still, well written. :)

Reply

Sk Sk
14:56 Nov 06, 2020

Thank you for reading my story and giving feedback! I did intend it to be a children's story so I left it quite simple. I was also in a rush so I didn't have time to create the ending I wanted. But thank you! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.