Good Old Rascal

Submitted into Contest #120 in response to: Start your story with the line ‘Back in my day…’... view prompt

4 comments

Sad Creative Nonfiction Inspirational

Back in my day I didn't had much of best friends than I used to nowadays. I was always shy as a kid and my family were the ones close enough to be my best friends. Yet one had always placed a special part of my heart next to my Papa, of course. One of them was a yellow lab who was the bestest friend any boy could for and his name was Rascal.

   Rascal was a very loyal dog and he was very much of a good boy even though he would often get himself into trouble sometimes but that's a given for any pet. He was a beautiful yellow lab with a tiny white dash of line on his forehead. His fur was the softest fur than any of the other canines around the block. I was given Rascal when I was just a baby, but my parents back then couldn't afford him so my Nana and Papa took good care of him considering we often visit them a lot.

Back then, I used to go over Nana and Papa's house every weekend and I would spend time with my best friend Rascal after a long week of school and home. He would always greet me by the front door with his sloppy kisses and I would give him the biggest of hugs in return. I gave that pup the biggest hugs as I would give to anyone who I love the most. Rascal was a year older than me and we were completely inseparable. He would always lay by my side while I sleep or call upon him. We would cuddle there on the bed until the next morning to have breakfast and our morning wrestles. We of course played fetched as any boy and dog would do and I would often be on all fours acting like a dog so I was Rascal's level. Those weekends were the best days of my life. Not only do I get time to spend time my extended family, but I also get to spend it all with my best friend in the whole wide world. 

   As time went on, Rascal was getting older and as he grew older, he was also getting sick. I believe he had liver problems. One day after school when I was just nine years old, my father said he had to talk to me. I could tell by his sadden face that he had some bad news. I placed myself on his lap and asked him curiously: "Dad, what's going on?"

   My dad tried to come up with how he was going to say it judging by the his face expressions. He takes a deep breath and said: "Rascal has passed away..."

   Automatically water went out from my eyes and I literally cried over a river as it all warmed up my face while my dad comforts me there on the seat. I asked him under my breaking voice: "How did he die?"

   My dad replied calmly: "He was getting old my dear." 

   I responded while still sobbing: "Just why? Why did he had to go? He was my best friend!"  

   "I'm sorry honey but dogs don't live that long as we do," my dad said while tearing up himself. I still continued to cry on my dad's lap as he continues to comfort me.

   Later that same day, my dad, mom, baby brother and I went to the house; the same house where my dog and I shared our adventures and time together. At the living room, my Nana, Papa, and aunt were there greeting us with their loving yet sad embrace as they were heartbroken as much as I was. Yet everyone in the room knew who was suffering this lost the most and that person was me. I was told from my dad earlier that day that Rascal passed away in his sleep and he slept down in the basement night prior. 

   Slowly walked my way from the living room, pass the kitchen and turned to the right were the stairs were. I stood there by myself as my heart broke even more. There I saw my best friend from the top of those stairs. He looked so peaceful there while laying down on his right side. I whispered ever so softly: "My Rascal..." yet my mouths were the only muscles I could move. I couldn't budge forward nor take a step down. Somehow I couldn't bring myself downstairs to say one last goodbye. Instead, all my body could ever do now was run back to everyone there in the living room and cry even more. 

   Eventually my family got rid of the body from the basement and we gave Rascal a nice little funeral shortly afterwards. I made a little speak though I hardly remember how it went for I was such a mess. But from what I remembered is that I told my dead dog Rascal there that I will miss him and that he was always a good boy no matter what. The only thing I wish I did was take those steps downstairs to say my farewell and gave him one last hug. 

   For the longest time I wanted to become a writer and Rascal was always there to help with my creativity along with my imagination. I've always loved dogs yet Rascal remains there deep in my heart. So when I wrote my first novel: "The Blacksmith's Nephew", I wanted my main character to have a yellow lab who was just as good as my own. All of this in loving memory and honor to Rascal in some form. That particular boy and dog are named: Terrance and Scamp.

   Rascal, you're still missed and loved to this day. I'm sorry I didn't have the strength to give you that one last hug but know that you are still part of my heart as I continue to grow old myself. I know you're up there in doggy heaven and are watching over me as you always have done in the past. Thank you for always being there by my side. You were truly the best dog any boy could ask for. Your cuddle buddy and best human friend: Sean Sorce.

November 18, 2021 00:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Graham Kinross
00:13 Jul 16, 2022

The first sentence is a little awkward. “Back in my day I didn't had much of best friends than I used to nowadays.” you could say ‘back in the day I didn’t have as many friends as I do now.’ “bestest friend any boy could for” any boy could ask for? “His fur was the softest fur than any of the other canines around the block.” here you could say ‘His fur was softer than all of the other canines on the block’ or ‘his fur was the softest of all the canines on the block.’ “At the living room,” should be ‘in the living room.’ Cute story Sean. ...

Reply

Sean Sorce
03:36 Jul 16, 2022

Thank you Graham for all your feedback. This was my second short story I've made on this site. Labradors are truly the best. I currently have two cats. A tuxedo cat named Rogue and a black cat named Midnight. Both are five years old but they still act like kittens.

Reply

Graham Kinross
07:57 Jul 16, 2022

It’s nice that they’re still playful. I had a black cat when I was small who was like a big sister to me and a big striped boy who was like my little brother. It’s strange that people get obsessed with the idea that you’re a dog or a cat person. I like both.

Reply

Sean Sorce
22:29 Jul 16, 2022

Oh obviously. Cats and dogs are both amazing creatures. Both with great personality traits.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.