14 comments

Historical Fiction Romance

1819  

London 

   “I think a chignon will be good for tonight, don’t you think, Bridget?” Priscilla looked at her lady’s maid as she said this. 

“Yes, Ms. Priscilla, most lovely on you,” Bridget said as she began working with Priscilla's hair. 

“The Duke’s Ball will be divine; everyone will be there. Maybe I’ll find a suitor tonight. Priscilla then laughed in the most unladylike way.  

Mother would chastise Priscilla if she had heard her laugh that way. A woman of high stature wasn’t supposed to act untoward at any time.  

Priscilla looked into her mirror and said, “Shall I wear the silk dress embellished with gold? Or will it be too much?”  

“That dress would be perfect for the occasion, Ms. Priscilla,” Bridget said. 

Going into the closet, Bridget pulled out the dress. It was made of white silk and had short, puffed sleeves and ruffled borders. Bridget assisted Priscilla in donning her gown.  

“I believe you need one more touch. It would announce, “I’m Lady Priscilla Hemmington,” Bridget said as she pulled out a white and silver tiara. 

 The tiara was a cherished family heirloom gifted to Priscilla by her mother. 

“You look beautiful. You’ll be the belle of the Duke’s Ball.” Bridget said. 

Priscilla was an admired woman in London society. Priscilla was the daughter of a wealthy earl. She seemed to possess a keen knowledge of everything and everyone. She was a confidante. The Duke’s Ball would have a high attendance. Priscilla would need to keep her eyes and ears open for this ball. Priscilla would get something out of this night, possibly even find a suitor for herself. 

 *** 

 On the carriage ride to the mayor’s house, Priscilla could only think about potential suitors. 

“Right, Priscilla?” Mother asked. 

Priscilla hadn’t heard anything Mother said. 

“Priscilla, did you hear me?” Mother asked. 

Edward said, “Priscilla’s pondering how she can disrupt the Duke’s Ball.” 

“I am not, thank you,” Priscilla retorted, glaring at her brother.  

“What were you thinking about?” Father asked.  

It was unusual for her father to attend balls, with the Duke’s Ball being the exception. 

“I was contemplating if someone important will be at the ball tonight,” Priscilla said. 

The remainder of the carriage ride was quiet. Priscilla had her thoughts to occupy herself.  

*** 

    The Duke’s Ball did not disappoint. Duke Hackney had pulled out all the fineries; the house had a garden theme, and people wore various colors and styles. Priscilla glanced around the room. She spotted Gertrude Vincent. Priscilla tried to turn away before she was spotted.  

“Priscilla!” Gertrude called, waving her hand to her.  

Gertrude always talked in a loud manner. Priscilla knew that Gertrude was interested in her brother, Edward.  

“Gertrude, how nice to see you,” Priscilla said.  

Then came the inevitable question, “Where’s your brother, Priscilla?”  

Priscilla said, “Henry is in the card room, I believe.”  

“I was talking about Edward, Priscilla.”   

“I don’t know, Gertrude. If you’ll excuse me, I need a refreshment. I’m feeling rather parched.” 

 Moving towards the refreshment table, Priscilla grabbed a glass of lemonade. 

She observed the couples dancing across the ballroom. Nothing was exciting to see except a man in all black walking towards the back of the ballroom. Priscilla had never seen him before. She took a mental note of this mysterious man. 

*** 

        Tom Worthington looked around the crowded room. Where was Brenson O’Reignen? 

Tom knew he was here. The mission was becoming one of his longest.  

“Hackney, are you certain you want to do this?” Tom asked. 

Hackney responded, “Yes.” 

"Someone could get hurt on this, Brenson could be armed." Tom said

"How many more people will get hurt if we don't do this?" Hackney asked.

Tom knew he meant that as a rhetorical question.

Casting another glance around the room, he hoped they weren’t making a mistake. 

“I want you to talk to Lady Priscilla Hemmington. She can help us. She’s wearing a white and gold dress,” Hackney said.”  

Tom went to search for Lady Priscilla Hemmington. Hoping she would be of help to them. 

*** 

     Priscilla continued to observe the dancers and refrained from dancing herself.  

“Will you give me the honor of having this dance?”  

Priscilla glanced at the man. He was a handsome gentleman; one she had never seen before.   

She said, “I will.” 

Grabbing her hand, he led her to the ballroom floor, and a waltz began 

“I was wondering if you witnessed or heard anything this evening,” The man said. 

Priscilla was used to being asked questions like this. Men usually danced with her to ascertain if a woman liked them. 

“I did see a strange man dressed in all black,” She paused. 

“He was sneaking towards the back of the ballroom. That was earlier.” 

The man looked around the room. 

As they danced around the ballroom, Priscilla enjoyed herself. 

“Lady Priscilla, tell me about yourself.” 

Priscilla said, “I presume you know; I’m very knowledgeable.” 

“I wonder how you became so knowledgeable.” 

“It started when I was young; I read many books. As I got older, I heard and saw things most people didn’t see. I suppose it was because I remembered things well. People began coming to me to ask questions. I became known as Lady Priscilla The-Know-It-All." 

“That is quite fascinating.” He stated. 

“I suppose, but for me, it’s just a way of life.” 

He looked as if he was pondering what she said when the music stopped. 

“The duke is about to speak, I must go.” 

He proceeded to walk away. 

“Wait!” She called, and he turned around. 

“What’s your name.” 

“Tom Worthington.” He then walked away. 

Everyone moved towards the large staircase. 

The duke said, “The music will begin again soon, but I would like to also say. 

I thank everyone for coming tonight. It’s a joyous evening, and I hope everyone is having a good time. Thank you.” 

The same man in all black appeared. He was wielding a dagger in one hand. 

Priscilla yelled as hard as she could, “Duke! Behind you!” 

The duke turned around and saw the man with the dagger. 

Then Tom appeared and the duke and Tom wrestled the knife away from the man. 

Two constables showed up, and one said, “Brenson O’Reignen, you’ll be coming with us.” 

They led Brenson away. 

*** 

 Later that night, the duke said, “I must thank you, Lady Priscilla, you just saved my life.” 

Tom said, “I told you this would be dangerous.” 

“I was glad to be of service,” Priscilla said. 

The duke shook her hand and walked away. 

“I enjoyed our dance, Lady Priscilla. I hope we will do it again sometime.” Tom said. 

Priscilla nodded her head. “I hope so as well.” 

*** 

 When Priscilla was in her bedroom that night, she recounted the events of the night. The night could have been a lot worse if it wasn't for her. She found more than she could have imagined from this night.

June 09, 2024 02:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

Kathleen March
12:07 Jun 29, 2024

Clearly you are comfortable with historical settings. I do have a couple of observations, though. Did you mean ‘embodied with gold’ or ‘embellished’? Would priscilla actually say this or would she say ‘trimmed’? ‘Ascertain if women liked them’ - could it also be ‘if a woman’ or even ‘if she’ liked them’? And Tom says ‘I told you this would be dangerous’ yet he didn’t, not in the story. Would that help the narrative flow? Nice tempo to the writing!

Reply

15:16 Jun 29, 2024

I think the 'embodied' part was auto-corrected, and I meant to say embellished. If a woman probably makes more sense than if women. I'll fix the errors. Thank you for giving your observations.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beverly Goldberg
05:07 Jun 15, 2024

Wonderful pictures of Regency life among the Ton--and Lady Priscilla, a woman strong for that period. I love her. And the twists and turns handled so well. I'm now going to read your other submission.

Reply

15:52 Jun 15, 2024

I'm glad that you enjoyed my story. This is probably my favorite genre of writing. I think I'm more comfortable writing historical than anything else.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
03:18 Jun 10, 2024

Hey lady. What a fun story. Full of intrigue and possibly a budding alliance. I was wondering about the sentence: The Duke's ball didn't fail to disappoint. Maybe one too many negatives?

Reply

20:03 Jun 10, 2024

I agree, and it was supposed to say, "The Duke's Ball did not disappoint."🤦‍♀️

Reply

Trudy Jas
20:21 Jun 10, 2024

Not too late to correct. :-)

Reply

20:25 Jun 10, 2024

That's true.

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:02 Jun 11, 2024

In the future, I think I'll call you 'The Editor', because you seem to be some kind of mistake magnet.

Reply

Trudy Jas
20:11 Jun 11, 2024

LOL I've been called worse. But if you'd rather I don't, I'll stop.

Reply

20:23 Jun 11, 2024

You should keep pointing out my errors, I actually enjoy reading comments about my mistakes.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
01:38 Jun 10, 2024

Taking a chance on a dance. Nice footwork.

Reply

02:20 Jun 10, 2024

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.