the Christmas when it STOPPED

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write about a character who’s stuck in an elevator when the power goes out.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Drama Holiday

It was Christmas dinner at my house when the TOPIC came up. I dreaded this moment for a while since it happened....... Grandma said "So, how are you? I know you must've been scared." and I was thinking "Why did you have to bring that up?" so I said "What are talking about? My testing? I did pretty good on testing, and I was only nervous." She chuckled and said "Good, but I'm talking about the elevator." I stared at the turkey thinking about what I should say. "Oh, I'm okay." Grandpa nods slowly witch usually means: Ah.. I see, now tell me the truth. So I started talking....

"About 2 weeks ago I was heading over to the Science Center, you know my class trip? Anyway we got there and everyone including me was thinking I need to see everything in this whole 3 story building! " Papa as sweet as he is says "3 stories?!?! Ha! and you where scared..." I gave him a look like:"Yeah right!" Now I thought and then continued with my story..."The class 'queen' as I call her Amanda, she was all like 'Let's go up! I mean who cares the snow never bothered anyone.' of course the only nice and logical person, Oscar, wanted to wait a bit and maybe check out the next exhibit on the floor we were on but still Amanda didn't want to be here so I think the next floor was an excuse so....well I said 'Hey! That's just an excuse to finish this field trip so you don't have to learn!' all that happened was the teachers debating where we should go so we all took a seat." By now everyone had moved to the Christmas tree for carols and presents by the fireplace. But when I stopped talking my big brother Jack said "So what happened? Did you go up or down?!?!" and mom yelled "Jack! Why would you think they got put in danger! They could've just stayed on that floor." and then I chimed in "Well, Mom we took the elevator remember? That was the whole idea on how i had to start telling a story." she nods with a sad face thinking of one of her kids being harmed. So I started again "Well Jack, we went up not thinking of the danger." grandma whispered "My word them teachers don't think? I mean teach kids to think." and Mom said "Ma, I think everyone heard you." Anyway, "Then it just stopped like we where at our floor when the lights went out. Of course Amanda yells in everyone's ears like she was alone calls 'I can't see!' when Oscar turns on his flashlight. So everyone says 'You blind kid!' and she scoffed like: whatever."

Now I stared at Ma, Jack, Pa, Grandma, and Grandpa who seemed like the where going to throw questions at me, so to avoid this I started again. "So we..." then I got interrupted by everyone in the family I couldn't tell what any of them where saying, so i waited maybe 30 minutes until all questions where asked and then they expected me to answer them. I was so confused that I just kept talking and maybe they'd think I was just answering questions, "So we waited and waited while Amanda went on and on about how this would increase her popularity and how if she didn't check her status or post how she would loose followers and other stuff I stopped paying attention a LONG while ago. And then 5 hours later when power was back she tried getting off but we weren't at our floor so the elevator shaft could be seen, it was so dark as musty with a haunted feeling." And the Jack asks "So did you feel dead in the darkness?" and mom started to cry she mumbles "I don't want my baby's to die." We all comfort her until she falls asleep. I walked to my room hoping they wouldn't notice cause a hated subject we call a TOPIC and this is my first ever TOPIC and I don't want to have to end up embarrassed cause of Amanda. In the morning I was planning on opening presents BUT the story, the TOPIC came up again. "Basically that's it." I said but Grandpa did the nod again, so I said "Fine, we dropped like 21 ft. down cause the power went out again Amanda screamed and said 'It was Oscar' to the teacher and on face.page said it was me, and then told her BFMF (Best Friend Minion Forever) that it was her crush David so he would sound extra cute and lame for her BFMF wouldn't try stealing him a.k.a. future 'king' of the grade." Now I was hungry and wanted breakfast "Mom I'm hungry." she sighed and said "Muffins are in the cabinet under the glass dome, and fresh orange juice was squeezed this morning. If you want Pancakes you'll need to eat the leftover ones, and milk will be here in 10 minutes cause the delivery man is running late." my response "Okay, and why's the man late?"

Mom says "Don't change the subject and I don't know." I grabbed a muffin and sat back down. "At the bottom the Rescue team made sure we where all okay while Amanda bragged about some things that weren't true. I got out relieved I was okay and feeling a little weird 'cause that was nerve racking but I'm okay, Amanda's more popular, and the teachers are confused." Now my family looks confused. "Wow..." Everyone said in sync. And so Grandma's question answered and it took like 1 day! If or hmm...when people find out about Amanda then I'm gonna have a GOOD laugh.

My story is complete but presents haven't been opened....

"Present time!!!" Mom calls after 5 minutes lunch we all run in even Grandma and Grandpa! I loved my presents from them but once we were quote in quote "done" Jack asks "How come I don't got no present from you?" I said "So a day of my time and a TOPIC from me isn't enough?" and he looked down like: right, sorry just thought I'd get something from you. And so I gave him a hug that counts as a present, right?

"So with with a good story told and presents in sight, happy holiday's to all and to all a great day!" I said and then we got up and hugged goodbye 'cause Jack, Mom, Dad, and I had to go just to get home in time for school to start again after winter break.

I love my family and I hope they don't make me explain another TOPIC over the phone when they realize my muffin only had a bite in it....

THE END!!!

(Shhh... no one say anything about my muffin)

September 11, 2020 00:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.