Big Dreams: A Leap of Faith

Submitted into Contest #89 in response to: Start your story with a character taking a leap of faith.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

Taking Chances, change has never been in Avery's vocabulary, but on this day April 9th 2021 Avery received the best news of her life. Avery got accepted into the New York City Ballet.

Avery's mom Suzie reads her acceptance letter:

"Miss Avery Collins it is with great pleasure and honor to formally invite you to join the New York City Ballet. We hope to see you soon"

Avery, her parents and brother are all jumping for joy accept Avery. In all the excitement Avery sneaks out of her house and goes to her favorite place the lake.

Ever since Avery was a little girl she loved the lake, the peacefulness, and the calm of the lake. It was at the lake that her love of ballet began and it is at the lake where Avery will make her decision to go or not to go to New York.

Avery is at the lake at her favorite spot. She sits down on the bench and thinks back to when her love of ballet began.

Avery was five years old when she saw her mother dancing at the lake. Avery mimicked her mothers every move even the difficult moves. Avery loved every moment of it and from that time on Avery wanted to be a ballerina just like her mother.

At present moment Avery is beyond happy she got accept to the New York City ballet, but is struggling with her decision. Avery loves to dance. It's all she ever wants to do. Dancing is her passion.

Leaving home is scary and Avery is scared to go to New York by herself.

Avery looks up at the sky and asks for a sign.

"Please give me a sign."

On the other side of the lake Avery hears music playing. She gets up, takes off her shoes and begins to dance.

Avery closes her eyes and lets the music becomes her eyes and ears. Avery's body moves like an Angel floating in the sky. She hears nothing, sees nothing, the music is all Avery needs and all she hears.

Avery doesn't even notice a crowd forming around her taking pictures and recording her every move. The crowd stays silent only smiling.

Avery continues to dance in step with the music. When she is done Avery smiles, opens her eyes and is surprise to see people watching her. The crowd stays silent watching Avery.

"How did I do?" Avery asks the crowd

The crowd explodes in cheers and applause. Avery smiles and bows. The crowd disperses. Avery goes back to sitting on the bench think about her acceptance letter.

"The crowd likes me, but what about the big city. Will they like me?" Avery says to her self

Avery has never been shy about dancing in front of a crowd. It's what she loves to do, but going somewhere new, taking chances is what scares Avery.

Being accepted to the New City Ballet is what Avery dreamed of for so long. She never believed that she was good enough to be dancing among some of the best dancers in the country and even through all of her doubts the New York City Ballet loved her dancing and wants her to join them.

"I proved it here at the lake why people think I'm a good dancer. I worked my entire life for this opportunity, it's finally here and yet I'm wondering if I am more than a good dancer."

Avery gets up from the bench , goes to walk around the lake and hears people she known all her life telling her what a good dancer she is and she's going to make everybody proud when she goes to New York.

Avery smiles at all the compliments everyone is giving her. She loves that the people she has known since she was a little girl believe in her so much. Avery wishes she can believe in herself, but she can't.

"Avery."

Avery turns around and sees her best friend.

"Hi Mia."

"OMG! Avery. You were so amazing."

"You saw me dancing?"

"The whole town did. They are all taking about you."

"Wow. I can't believe it."

"Believe it Avery. The whole town knows you're an amazing dancer."

Avery turns away from Mia and looks at the lake.

"What's wrong Avery?"

"I'm scared to go to New York. I'm scared to leave home."

Mia turns Avery towards her and hugs her and she tells Avery.

Avery you are the most amazing dancer I've ever known. The whole town believes in you, your family believes in you.

Avery smiles. Mia always knows what to say to Avery to make her feel happy and special. Those comforting words gives Avery strength to make a life changing decision.

"Thanks Mia. You always know what to say to me to make me feel happy and special."

Avery and Mia hug.

"You will do great in New York. I know it and who knows maybe I will see you in New York too."

Avery and Mia say goodbye.

Avery's mom Suzie has found Avery at the lake. Suzie wants to talk to her daughter about New York. Suzie senses Avery is not happy about New York.

"Avery there you are. I've been looking all over you."

Suzie gives Avery a hug.

Suzie sees her daughter in turmoil.

"I've been here at the lake."

"I saw the video of you dancing. You look beautiful."

Avery sits on the ground looking at her mother. She doesn't know how to tell her mother she's scared of going to New York.

"Tell me Avery."

"I'm scared to go to New York. I'm scared I'm not going to be good enough to dance in front of professionals."

Suzie puts her arm around Avery's shoulder. She tells Avery she's a beautiful dancer with so much heart. Avery begins to cry.

"Don't cry my love."

"I don't want to leave home either."

"Avery look at me. I love dancing and wished I have been a pro, but I never believed I was good enough. I don't want you to think the way I did. You deserve this and everything that comes with it. Don't be scared. I will always be with you. Follow your heart and your dreams."

Avery with tears in her eyes looks at her mother and nods.

"I love to dance. It's what makes me happy."

"Then go my love and be happy."

Avery nods.

The following week Avery spends time with her family, enjoying the lake and of course dancing. Avery dances her last show at the local theatre. She receives a standing ovation. Now it's time for Avery to take that leap of faith and follow her dreams.

AVERY IS GOING TO DANCE FOR THE New York City BALLET.

April 12, 2021 21:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.