Be Who You Want To Be

Written in response to: Write about someone grappling with an insecurity.... view prompt

38 comments

Inspirational Fiction Drama

Kaylee had always struggled with an insecurity of her being overweight. Her parents didn’t approve of her, and to be honest, she wasn’t sure if anyone approved of her.

She’d been dealing with it her whole life. One time, a kid slipped a note into her locker, and when she went to open the note, a drawing slipped out. It was of a hippopotamus.

At first, Kaylee thought nothing of it. The hippo was kind of cute actually. She didn’t find out until she was older, that the hippo had a whole other meaning behind it. Kids, and even adults like her parents, thought she was fat.

Her parents especially. Why couldn’t they just see past her body to who she really was? She was done with people telling her she β€œneeds to lose weight” or β€œtry a diet” or β€œyou could become skinny”. She was done! And she had a plan for proving all those people wrong.

She was going to enter the talent show.Β 

There was a talent show coming up in Los Angeles, California. She didn’t bother asking her parents about it first, because she knew what they would say.

Especially if she told them what she was going to perform in the talent show. She was going to dance AND sing.

Her father had always been fond of her singing actually. That was one thing that made him a better father. That at least he supported her for one of the many things she did. He had always come to her choir concerts for school, and seemed to enjoy each and every one of them. Why else would he keep coming back? Her mother, on the other hand, was not so fond of it. She thought that Kaylee should just stick with the signing. Kaylee was glad that her mom could approve of her singing, but hurt, and mad that she couldn’t approve of her dancing.

Once, Kaylee had a dance recital and her mom had to come watch her. Her dad was out of town on a work trip. Kaylee was kind of glad that her mom had no choice but to come and watch her, but the dance part didn’t go so well.

Kaylee started to dance to the classical music and follow the choreography that went along with their dance classes ballerina recital, when their dance coach, Coach May, raised her hands and told everyone to stop.

She glared daggers at Kaylee and her eyes narrowed on her. β€œThink you could try and lose some weight? You’ve ruined my choreography with those flabby arms and chunky legs.”

Kaylee sat on the ground and cried, in front of everyone. Some Mom’s pulled their kids out of dance, and some kids decided that they wanted to be pulled out because they didn’t want to dance with the fat kid.

Well, Kaylee was going to show all the haters that they were wrong. She has pure talent, and it doesn’t matter your size, or what you look like. You don’t have to be skinny as a stick, and look like a model to fit in. You can be whatever you want.

Kaylee took a deep breath in her nose and let it out her mouth. She shook out all the bad vibes and feelings and walked up to the stand where a tiny Asian lady was standing, checking everyone in for the talent show.

β€œHi, I’m Kaylee RenΓ©, checking in for singing and dancing.” Kaylee told the woman.

The woman was taken aback, and stared at Kaylee for a moment or so. She probably didn’t think Kaylee was taking this seriously. News alert, she was!

β€œY-you are going to s-sing and d-dance? Both?” The woman stammered.Β 

β€œYes,” Kaylee said confidently. β€œYou have a problem with that?”

The woman looked down at her papers where she fumbled for her clipboard. β€œWhat did you say your name was again?” She asked.

β€œKaylee RenΓ©,” Kaylee restated.

She scanned her papers until she found my name. There was a twenty dollar fee to actually get into the competition. She found her name on the list and asked for cash or credit.

Kaylee handed her twenty dollars, something she had earned on her own because she knew Mom or Dad would pay for her to do something like this.

The Asian lady nodded to Kaylee. β€œYou may head backstage. Your number is 67, please stand by when Jerry the Juggler goes on stage, because you are performing after him.”

Kaylee nodded and waited in line. Jerry the Juggler was in front of me and he was practicing his juggling skills. He took a peek at Kaylee, and scoffed.

β€œGot a problem?” She asked him.

He scoffed again. β€œWhat are you doing in this competition anyway?” He asked.Β 

β€œDancing and singing. But it's really none of your business is it?” Kaylee didn’t mean for her temper to rise like that, but she was just done, with the people who couldn't accept her for who she was.

Jerry turned around in line and kept to himself. Eventually, he reached the front of the line and Kaylee was up next.

There are three judges for the competition. One was the brutal, Mrs. Chang, who starred in multiple moves that made her a billionaire, and multiple T.V. shows that have aired in 20 different languages all over the world. She was known for knocking people out of competitions she judged, fast. She did it for the drama, but sometimes it scared Kaylee.

The second was Mr. Roman, who was actually very nice. He is a comedian in multiple shows, and once, Kaylee got to see him perform live at a park in town. He was known for being a softie who loves everyone.

The last, was Mr. Tang. He could be quite secretive. He’s a man of not many words, so you normally can’t tell what he’s thinking. That’s what makes him such a great actor in all the movies he stars in.

As soon as Jerry walks off stage, Kaylee walks on with no fear. She stands as the spotlight shines down on her, with her head facing the ground.

Her music cues, and she starts to sing along with it, doing high scales and vibratos. It was an upbeat song, so she started to dance with it, hitting almost every single one of the fast tempo beats.

Suddenly, her music stops and she looks up to see that Mrs. Chang has pressed a button that makes everything stop. She’s seen enough.

β€œSorry,” She looks down at her clipboard and finds my name. β€œMrs. RenΓ©, but if you lost more weight you'd be top of my list. You’re good, but not good enough if you eventually want to be the winner of this world wide talent show.”

Kaylee is mad at Mrs. Chang but do my best not to show it, and nod at her.

Mr. Roman looks taken aback. β€œSorry, but I don’t agree with Mrs. Chang. I think you did amazing, and I hope to see you win this thing. I think you have what it takes. Great job!”

Kaylee smiles at Mr. Roman and waits for Mr. Tang to start speaking. As usual, his face is blank, unreadable.

He sighs. β€œI agree with Mr. Roman, but also agree with Mrs. Chang. If you could put off just a little weight, I guarantee you’d do amazing in this industry of talents. But you're too big. Sorry, it’s going to be a no for me.”

Kaylee nods, feeling shame, knowing I’ve just embarrassed myself to all of the people watching this show from home, and in the room.

β€œThank you.” Kaylee says before leaving the stage.

She leaves with confidence though. Not defeat, or crying like some of the other contestants. She killed her audition and she knew it. She hopes everyone watching from home and in person that they can be whoever they want to be, and chase their dreams, shoot for the stars. She hopes she at least inspired people tonight.

And that’s all that matters. Tonight, Kaylee showed that you can be who you want to be. No matter where you’re from or what you look like.


October 09, 2021 03:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

38 comments

Nicole Of 2022
18:58 Jun 04, 2022

One of the most beautiful stories I've read on Reedsy. :) Great job Bella

Reply

Thank you, Nikki! That means so much! -Bella

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Akshara P
16:45 Jan 01, 2022

Wow! This story was so sweet and encouraging! I loved the ending you chose. :)

Reply

Thanks you, Akshara! That means a ton! Happy new year! :D -Bella

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Creed .
21:44 Dec 17, 2021

The lie is the grubs.

Reply

Hi, thanks for reading the bio! The lie is actually NOT the grubs! I ate them at a festival in Thailand, and they were surprisingly good! They taste like french fries! I really recommend them, haha. thanks though! -Bella

Reply

Creed .
14:52 Dec 23, 2021

Aw, dang it, I thought it might have been the moon thing, but I decided on the grubs. Was it the moon thing?

Reply

haha! It is the moon thing! I would NOT pay to go to the moon right now. I think it'd be weird and I don't like that isolated feeling. Good try! I'll feature you in my bio!!

Reply

Creed .
01:04 Dec 24, 2021

I thought it might have been! Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Palak Shah
16:19 Dec 11, 2021

Heyy Bella, I love the story, it is beautifully written and it captured my heart. Well done. Could you please read my latest story if possible? :)) Thanks :))

Reply

Heyy Palak! thank you so much!! ofc I will read your story! -Bella

Reply

Palak Shah
21:13 Dec 11, 2021

Thanks :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Pahani Wijeratne
10:27 Nov 30, 2021

Hey there, Bella! How are you doing? :D It’s been a while since I talked with you. First of all, love this story!! It’s absolutely amazing 🀩🀩 This story is super realistic and honestly it’s so relatable to a lot of people. I love how you portrayed our judgemental society and it’s sad to realise that this is how our world works today. What I really like about Kaylee is that even though she’s confident about herself; she also has times where she feels down and hurt by what people say about her weight (which makes it even more realistic!). The...

Reply

Hey Pahani!! I'm doing great, if you exclude all the homework I have (ugh!). It has been a while! How are ya? Thank you so so much! I wasn't that sure about this story when I published it, but the Reedsy community seem to enjoy it so YAY! I'm glad you liked the ending! I really loved writing that line too :D Thanks! I'm glad, and I'll keep ya posted! ;D -😊- Bella

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
03:13 Nov 15, 2021

https://awards.storymirror.com/program/a34cda60-d779-4a08-97c3-061fa2b8f801/english/author/13djd0wt/story Please click on this link and CLAP for me so that I can win the AUTHOR OF THE WEEK AWARD!!!!!!!!!! Thank you

Reply

I just clapped for you πŸ‘!! Your story was really great. Hope you win!

Reply

Dhwani Jain
04:22 Nov 16, 2021

Thank you so much, Bella, please ask everyone else around you to clap for me too

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lion Warrior
23:38 Nov 09, 2021

Bella, I'm quite new to the Reedsy Community, and I was really excited to come on here and read some of the amazing stories I've heard about. I'm still working on my writing skills, and have not published a book to this site yet, but your stories have inspired me to. I absolutely loved this one in particular. Keep it up, and I'll be back for more. :) Lion Warrior

Reply

Show 0 replies
Esther :)
18:45 Nov 09, 2021

Wow. This story was so sweet and encouraging. You go Kaylee!

Reply

Esther :)
00:10 Nov 10, 2021

Anytime! Please tell me when you publish a new story! :)

Reply

Definitely!! I'll keep ya posted! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Keya J.
10:41 Nov 06, 2021

Wow! A brilliant story with a deep meaning. I loved the ending though, being unstoppable is all that lasts. It's sad this problem is being faced by a lot of people nowadays but you highlighted it beautifully. Great story Bella, well written.

Reply

Hey, Keya!! Haven't talked to you in a while! Thank you so much! I am glad you enjoyed this story. It is sad how so many people are facing this problem, and I though the prompt was perfect for a little story like this. -Bella

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mele Kikora
19:19 Oct 16, 2021

Wow, Bella! I'm new to the Reedsy community, and was just wowed by your stories on here. You are an amazing writer and I'm hoping to see you grow. Keep up the good work!! -Mele

Reply

Show 0 replies
Francis Daisy
00:31 Oct 12, 2021

I love this. The whole premise is beautiful. I hate society and all the pressure it brings on people. Especially females. Especially as the mother of daughters. I love your story. It is perfectly perfect. ❀️

Reply

Aww, thanks Francis! So glad you enjoyed this! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Annalisa D.
15:00 Oct 11, 2021

I enjoyed reading your story. It was sad and I felt for Kaylee and wanted her to succeed. I liked how it ended. Even though she doesn't win, she still gains confidence and has shown a lot of courage and that's an important message too. Sometimes when there is the big, happy, everything turns around end it doesn't feel real or inspiring because people don't believe it. I think you've done something good here by having it be a realistic inspiration. I think that will connect with people struggling with this. I did notice some small edit thin...

Reply

Hi, Annalisa, Thanks for taking the time to leave such a very long, meaningful comment!! And thanks for the suggestions. I'll get to work on those. :D Thanks again! -Bella

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zelda C. Thorne
07:12 Oct 09, 2021

Hi Bella, I thought this story was pretty good. I liked the ending you chose. One critique. The whole story is in 3rd person and you suddenly switch to 1st near the end, here -β€œThank you.” I say before leaving the stage." Maybe that was on purpose (in which case, I'm sorry) but generally, you should stick to the same tense throughout. Nice story with a good message. Keep writing!

Reply

Hi, Rachel!! Thank you! So when I'm writing in third person, sometimes I accidentally switch to second person because I'm so used to normally writing in that POV. I'll go back and change that now. Thanks for the critique. Thanks for taking the time to leave such a helpful, friendly message!! -Bella

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
18:23 May 26, 2022

Hey! Where are you? Why has Reedsy been so boring lately? (copy-pasting this to a lot of people as I'm BoReD)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
17:09 Apr 22, 2022

The Dream DJ Podcast, now available!!! Join the community of Dream DJ listeners now!!! https://anchor.fm/the-dream-dj/episodes/The-Dream-DJ-Podcast---Trailer-e1hhb8f

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
10:35 Apr 09, 2022

How are you doing?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lily Rama
15:17 Feb 13, 2022

Omg! I loved this story. You are such a good writer! Definitely keep writing! -Lily Rama

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:56 Feb 06, 2022

I loved this story! I felt myself rooting for Kaylee, hoping she would have her chance to shine. It's a shame people are so brainwashed that they think only stick thin people have talent. If they lived even 100 or 200 years ago, fat people were the cat's meow. Talent is talent is talent. I think Kayla is brave and wonderful. Love the ending. Very positive. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
12:49 Nov 15, 2021

Hello all! https://wp.me/pd3y1A-fD Please check out my latest post, THE VIRUS, YOU AND ME, a podcast. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did writing it! Dhwani Jain Dream DJ {https://djdhwanijain.wordpress.com/}

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.