"TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL"

Submitted into Contest #264 in response to: End your story with someone saying “I do.”... view prompt

27 comments

Fantasy Romance

There lived a woman named Elara in the city's bustling heart, where skyscrapers cast long shadows over narrow alleys, and the clamor of life never seemed to cease. She was a trained doctor, but her true calling was to those society had forgotten. Elara had once held a prestigious position at a renowned hospital, a life of comfort and recognition. Yet, the sight of the homeless shivering in the cold, the hungry scavenging for food, and the lost wandering without hope had tugged at her soul until she could no longer ignore it. Her selflessness was a beacon of hope in a world of despair.

She had always felt a deep restlessness—a pull toward something more meaningful. Leaving behind the bright lights and accolades, she dedicated herself to running a free clinic on the city's outskirts. Here, she treated those in desperate need, fed the hungry, and found work for those who had been cast aside. Her days were long and filled with challenges that often seemed insurmountable, but Elara's spirit was indomitable. The clinic became a beacon of hope, a sanctuary for the broken and the weary. Yet, despite the countless lives she touched, Elara lived alone.

Despite the bustling city and the constant stream of people she helped, there were nights when Elara felt a deep, gnawing loneliness. Once a place of purpose and hope, the clinic felt like a cage at night. She had chosen this life, she reminded herself, but the sacrifices it demanded were more than she had anticipated. Little did she know, she was never truly alone.

Unseen and unnoticed, an angel named Cael watched over Elara. He was drawn to her selflessness and kindness in a way he couldn't fully understand. As an angel, Cael had observed humanity for centuries, fulfilling his duty to guide and protect without interference. But Elara was different. When he first saw her tending to a sick child, her brow furrowed with concern; something within him shifted. He returned to her repeatedly, marveling at how she gave everything she had to those with nothing.

What began as fascination grew into something deeper, something Cael knew he should not feel: love. He was bound by the rules of his kind—rules that forbade angels from interfering in the lives of mortals beyond what was necessary. Love, especially, was forbidden. But Cael found himself bending the rules just a little, unable to resist the pull of his heart towards Elara.

Elara, for her part, felt a strange comfort in these moments. It was as if an unseen force was watching over her, offering solace when she needed it most. It was a warmth that filled her heart during the darkest times, a presence she could never quite name.

One cold winter night, as snow fell gently outside her clinic, Elara was busy treating a young boy with a high fever. The boy's mother, ragged and thin, watched with tear-filled eyes as Elara worked, her hands steady, her voice soothing. The fever broke just before dawn, and the mother collapsed into tears of gratitude. Exhausted but smiling, Elara reassured the woman that her son would be fine.

Elara stepped outside to get some air as the mother and child left. The street was quiet, and the snow muffled the city's usual noise. She wrapped her coat tighter around herself and looked up at the sky, letting the snowflakes melt on her face. She thought of the life she had left behind—the prestige, the security—and wondered, not for the first time if she had made the right choice.

And that's when she saw him.

As Elara stepped outside, a figure stood across the street, partially obscured by the falling snow. There was something ethereal about him, something that made Elara's heart skip a beat. He seemed to glow, ever so slightly, as if the moonlight itself had chosen to wrap him in its embrace.

Their eyes met, and the world seemed to stand still for a moment. Elara felt a pull toward him, a connection she couldn't explain. The man stepped forward, crossing the street towards her, and Elara's breath caught in her throat.

Her heart quickened a mix of curiosity and fear washing over her. As the man drew closer, she could see him more clearly. His face was pale, almost luminous in the dim light, and his lips curved into a smile—a smile that sent a chill down her spine.

"Good evening, Elara," the man said, his voice smooth and unnervingly calm.

"H-how do you know my name?" Elara stammered, taking an involuntary step back.

The man's smile widened, though it did nothing to warm his cold, piercing eyes. "Oh, I know many things about you. I've been waiting for this moment for quite some time."

Elara's breath caught in her throat, the word echoing in her mind like a dark omen. "Who are you?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

The man tilted his head slightly as if amused by her question. "People call me so many names," he said, his voice carrying an otherworldly calm. "The Grim Reaper, the Pale Rider, the Harvester of Souls... But you may know me best as Death."

Elara's breath caught in her throat, the word echoing in her mind like a dark omen. "Death?" she repeated, her voice trembling. "Are you here to... take me?"

Death nodded slowly, almost regretfully. "I'm afraid so. Your time has come, Elara. You've lived a good life and helped many people, but every life has its end." Cael knew what he had to do. He had to sacrifice his immortality to save the woman he loved.

Elara felt her knees weaken, her heart pounding in her chest. "But... I'm not ready. I have so much more to do, so many people to help—"

"Everyone says that," Death interrupted gently, his smile never faltering. "But the truth is, time waits for no one. Not even for someone as kind and selfless as you."

Elara stared at him, tears welling in her eyes. She wanted to argue, to plead, but she knew it would be in vain. Death was inevitable, and now he had come for her.

But just as she was about to speak, another figure appeared out of the snow, moving swiftly towards them. Elara turned her head, and her heart skipped a beat when she saw him—a man with golden hair and bright, piercing eyes, his presence radiating warmth and light.

"Stop!" the man called out, his voice urgent. You can't take her."

Death raised an eyebrow, his smile fading slightly as he regarded the newcomer. "Ah, Cael. I was wondering when you would show up."

Elara looked between the two men, her mind reeling. "Who are you? How do you know Death? What's going on?"

Cael reached Elara's side, placing himself between her and Death, his expression tense. "My name is Cael," he said, his gaze never leaving hers. "I've been watching over you long, Elara."

"Watching over me?" she repeated, confused. "Are you... are you with the city? A social worker, maybe?"

Cael smiled, a gentle, knowing smile that made Elara's heartache. "No, Elara. I'm something... different."

As he spoke, Cael reached out and touched her hand. When their skin met, a flood of warmth and light-filled Elara, and she knew. She didn't understand how, but she knew.

"You're an angel," she whispered, awe and disbelief mixing in her voice.

Cael nodded. "Yes. I've been sent to guide you and help you with your work. But along the way, I've found something I never expected."

Elara's mind raced, trying to process the impossible truth before her. "Why are you telling me this? Why now?"

"Because," Cael said, his voice trembling slightly, "I need you to understand what I'm about to do."

Elara's eyes widened in fear. "Is there anything you can do? Can you beat the Death?"

"No," Cael answered gently. "Death is here to take you. But I can't let that happen."

"Why?" Elara asked, her voice shaking.

"Because I love you," Cael confessed, the words spilling out in a rush. "I've loved you from the moment I first saw you. And I would give anything to save you."

"Cael, you know the rules. You're an angel—you cannot interfere with the natural order." Death's voice was deep, his tone laced with amusement.

"I know the rules," Cael said, his voice firm. "But I also know that there are exceptions, ways to change the course of fate."

Death crossed his arms, looking genuinely curious. "And what do you propose, Cael? I'm always interested in hearing new ideas."

Cael turned to Elara, his eyes softening as he looked at her. "Elara, I've watched over you for a long time. I've seen your kindness, your strength, and your compassion. I've seen you give everything to help others, and in doing so, you've touched my heart in a way I never thought possible."

Elara stared at him, her heart pounding in her chest. "Cael... what are you saying?"

"I'm saying that I love you," Cael said in his emotion-filled voice. "I've loved you from the moment I first saw you, and I would do anything to save you."

Elara's breath caught in her throat, her mind struggling to process his words. "But... you're an angel. How can you—"

"I'm willing to give up my immortality," Cael interrupted, his voice unwavering. "If it means I can be with you, I will choose to become human, to live a mortal life by your side."

Death chuckled softly, shaking his head. "Ah, love. It's always love, isn't it? The one thing that makes even the divine forget themselves. Are you sure that she is worthy of your immortality? After all, she is a human? And their hearts change too often."

"Jesus gave his life for humanity," Cail's voice sounded determined.

He looked at Cael with a mixture of amusement and respect. "Very well, Cael. If you are willing to give up your immortality to become human, then I will spare Elara's life. But there is a condition."

"What condition?" Cael asked, his gaze unwavering.

"She must agree to trade your immortality for her life," Death said simply. "Only then will her fate be changed."

Cael nodded without hesitation. "I accept."

Elara stared at him, the weight of his words crashing over her. "You would give up everything for me?"

"Yes," Cael said without hesitation. "Because a life with you, however short, is worth more to me than an eternity without you."

Tears streamed down Elara's cheeks as she stepped closer to him. "Cael, are you sure? You don't even know what it means to be human, to feel pain, to grow old—"

"I know," Cael said, his eyes shining unearthly. "But I also know that love is the greatest gift we can experience, and I want to share that with you."

Elara searched his face, looking for any hint of doubt, but found none. Only love, pure and deep, reflected in his gaze. She knew then that this was real, that he meant every word.

"Then ask me," she whispered, her voice trembling.

Cael took her hands in his, his heart pounding in his chest—a sensation he was only beginning to understand. "Elara, do you accept the trade? My immortality for your life?"

Elara paused, feeling the weight of her decision. Her mind flashed to the clinic, the people who depended on her, and her chosen life. But as she looked into Cael's eyes, she saw a future Elara had never dared to imagine—a future where she wasn't alone, loved, and cherished.

"Yes," she said softly, tears of joy mixing with the snowflakes on her cheeks. "I do."

August 17, 2024 20:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

27 comments

Martin Ross
14:45 Aug 29, 2024

Very evocative tale that captures the essence of classic storytelling style in a contemporary milieu! Great work!

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
15:57 Aug 29, 2024

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Belladona Vulpa
12:57 Sep 02, 2024

Beautiful story, I enjoyed reading it!

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
13:10 Sep 02, 2024

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Stogsdill
19:56 Aug 28, 2024

Happiness all around! Death didn't win. Fantasy isn't my style, but I liked this one. Reminded me of Once on this Island, about a man and woman from two worlds who face Death.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
21:06 Aug 28, 2024

I'm glad you like it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KA James
19:04 Aug 25, 2024

The interactions and style of the devil kind of reminiscent of the Twilight Zone episode, think it was called 'A Pitch for the Ages', but you provide a straight up deal for love instead of a deal with a twist in it. The dark and lonely setting comes across very well and fits, and the snow seems to add just the right touch.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
19:10 Aug 25, 2024

Thanks for liking. I'm glad you like it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:22 Aug 25, 2024

Really nice writing and story Darvico. Love the concept. You know I like the unusual scenarios:) really enjoyed this.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
14:29 Aug 25, 2024

I always try to write outside the box. Really appreciate that you guys love my unusual stories.

Reply

14:34 Aug 25, 2024

Same! Very happy to have found some readers for my crazy stories lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
02:40 Aug 25, 2024

A lovely story with perfect flow.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
02:42 Aug 25, 2024

Thank you, Carol.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
02:38 Aug 25, 2024

Lovely story, engaging and well written. It reminds me a bit of the movie "City of Angels," but with a different twist. I also love your unexpected response to the prompt.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
02:42 Aug 25, 2024

Thank you, Karen. I'm glad that you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kim Olson
13:50 Aug 24, 2024

Truly beautiful story. Thank you for sharing.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
15:44 Aug 24, 2024

U welcome. Thank you for comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
18:36 Aug 21, 2024

Lovely love story. Just curious. Is there a reason most of your characters' names start with E?

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
19:20 Aug 21, 2024

Not really. My older daughter is Elena, so maybe that has something to do with it. So many beautiful names are listed with the letter E. Thanks for liking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
07:24 Aug 21, 2024

What a great story! Had a strong emotional impact. Wonderful.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
08:57 Aug 21, 2024

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
00:06 Aug 21, 2024

These 'I do's' are taking such unexpected turns.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
04:40 Aug 21, 2024

I do agree.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
17:21 Aug 20, 2024

I loved this so much. They got their happily ever after! 💕

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
17:25 Aug 20, 2024

Thank you. I'm glad you like it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
23:51 Aug 17, 2024

Beautiful story! Love it! A wonderful concept and skillfully written. Fits the prompt so well too.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
05:45 Aug 18, 2024

Thank you, Kristi.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.