5 comments

Drama Suspense Mystery

Noises. Aaron listened to the voices of dozens around him, a blur of conversations from inside the great chamber mixed with the distant chatter from the garden outside. The unified sounds of clicking tongues, smacking lips, and sporadic bursts of laughter created a wave of sound to tantalizing to piece apart.

There was nothing here for him, surrounded by the cream of the crop, dressed in the finest wear of society, while he sat alone by the punch bowl, pondering his circumstance. The manor's beauty, enhanced by its luxurious furnishings, intricate designs, and meticulous decorations, only amplified his sense of alienation. He envied those in the garden, perhaps finding solace from the watchful eyes and judgmental stares inside. If only he could join them, even for a moment's reprieve, but the garden was off-limits due to a private event.

“Why am I even here?” Aaron thought, recalling his desperate attempt to woo Ally, the assistant manager at Paul’s law firm, with as few credentials as possible. Instead, he became an impromptu bellboy on the day of a crucial inspection by the regional management, spending half an hour distracting the inspectors memorizing login details, navigating unfamiliar facilities, and performing tasks on the fly, while Ally resolved a potentially compromising security error. When the jig was up, Ally managed to pull it together, even if Aaron was thrown out.

This was how Aaron found himself receiving a handwritten invitation to a black-tie wedding for the firm’s CEO, Paul, and his now wife, Elena Stevens. Ally recommended him for “creating a positive and favorable reception for upper management,” despite him not being on their payroll. Aaron never read the letter, not that he needed to since the invitation was sufficient for entry. Ally took it upon herself to throw Aaron a spare set from her husband’s closet to maintain the ruse.

“Yep, Aaron…” He muttered under his breath, pouring himself a glass of punch and drank it quick. “You did a good job alright.” Deciding the event in the main chamber was too much for him, he backed out onto the balcony where he enjoyed the cool breeze blowing on his flushed face. It was quiet enough with few people around to notice someone like Aaron, who clearly stuck out with his unrefined stubble, budget digital watch, and cheap cologne. He felt like a fraud. His last job provided him an opportunity to rise up in a small company as a manager, but some internal shuffling and backhand recommendations ended up getting him kicked to avoid complications.

He shook his head, trying not to let his memory get in the way of this peaceful serenity. The wind was nice, and the night was gorgeous. Despite what bitterness he often held towards those with lavish living standards, he couldn’t deny the estate was beautiful and peaceful.

“We doing this?” A voice whispered.

“Yeah, yeah.” Another voice, this groggy, responded. “Grab the wife, lock her in the car, and...”

“Shh! Not out loud.” The first voice hissed, followed by the jangling of keys. “Take this, make sure it’s ready to go.”

“Got it.” Then they departed.

“Once everything goes down, meet me you-know-where. Stay polite until then, and nobody will notice.”

Aaron did not move, his heart pounding. He listened as the footsteps faded away behind the foliage.

“What did I just hear?” He whispered, unsure if it was real or a figment of his imagination. He repeated the conversation to himself. “Yes, yes, it is,” he decided, turning back to the party. “I have to warn everyone,” He ran back inside, and upon reentering, was overwhelmed by the sea of conversations all around him.

“…company raised profits by 2% this quarter…”

“Poor Lisa. I am sure she will…

“…goes wrong, we can handle it. We…”

“I work for Dave. He is a good friend…”

“Who is he? Do we need him removed?”

“Security will give us a good show if they do. Aha ha!”

The noise of private dialogues became distinct voices, each word clear, each subtle differentiation in tone resounded with clarity, even their subtle alterations in appearance and unique details in refinery appeared more diverse. It all flooded into him like a waterfall. Aaron felt their glares and looks, shifting from one person to the next. Trying to focus, he approached one group.

“Excuse me…” He had only begun, but they merely glanced at him, trying to ignore him.

“Please, I need to ask where Paul and Elena are.” Aaron continues, but a middle-aged woman in the group turned, moving closer to the man in front of Aaron, blocking him from the group.

“Let’s discuss this in private later, in the meantime...”

Aaron got the gist—he was unwelcome. He turned to another group. “Excuse me, it’s an emergency.” The group looked at him, annoyed, then resumed their conversation.

A man offered Aaron a glass. “Please, give this to that young woman over there and tell her it’s from Daniel. She will know what it means.”

Aaron, somewhat aloof, does as he was asked, making his way across the room and delivering the beverage.

“Thank you,” the woman said, quickly turning back to her conversation, not giving Aaron time to ask a question. “Please, send my regards to your sister. I am sure she is doing everything she can to handle the matter with utmost discretion.”

“Thank you, I am sure she will appreciate it.”

Aaron continued to search group after group, surprised by how many ways he could be politely rejected or dragged along, each interaction making him feel more foolish. Why was it so difficult? He knew these are important people, but he received no favors in his attempt to help.

“Another drink butler!”

“You need to stop, love. You are supposed to give a speech tonight.”

“…letters are not meant for outgoing mail, and he said, well they have to go somewhere, right?”

An elder butler approached Aaron, with a long face and narrow eyes. “Excuse me, sir, can I offer you a beverage?” He said with a polite and strong accent.

“N-no, thank you,” Aaron stuttered, trying to be polite. “But I d-do have a question…sir.”

The butler seemed willing to listen.

“I overheard two men in the garden talking about kidnapping the wife, Elena” Aaron said carefully, trying to sound professional “I think she is in danger.”

A few people laugh in the distance. Aaron quickly turned to look at the source, but turned back without recognizing them.

The butler stroked his clean-shaven chin thoughtfully. “This does seem urgent, sir,” he said calmly. “I believe we should bring this matter to Paul directly. Please, follow me.”

As they walked, Aaron continues to overhear more conversations around him.

“Some people just doesn’t understand what fun is anymore…”

“Do you think he knows?”

“How could he…?”

“…better not ruin tonight’s plans. I drove all the way from…”

The butler took him away from the main chamber and to the game room, where several men are surrounding a pool table.

“In short, business is booming. Randy is handling the next meeting and we’re projected to raise profit margins by three percent by next winter.”

“What kind of name is Randy?”

“I didn’t name him.”

“We’ve got company.”

The gentlemen glanced in Aaron’s direction, clearly viewing his presence as an intrusion.

“Wait here, sir,” The butler said to Aaron. Aaron complied.

The butler approached Paul, whispers in his ear, and pulls him aside. They spoke quietly for a while. Paul chuckled, then spoke sternly and sent the butler off.

Paul himself then approaches Aaron.

“I guess I have you to thank for this warning,” He patted Aaron on the shoulder.

“Yes sir, I overheard…” Aaron began but was interrupted.

“Do you know who these hooligans are?” Paul asked quickly.

“I don’t know sir, but I recognize their voices.”

“Good enough,” Paul smile. “I am going to need your help, then.”

Aaron straightened up. “Y-yes, sir.” He said, eager to get involved.

“That’s a good lad,” Paul praised. “I’m going to introduce you to some people, and if we’re lucky, you might recognize them.”

“Wait, sir!” Aaron shouted, drawing looks from the other men.

Paul signaled for him to lower his voice. “Keep it down. This is still a party. Show some manners.”

Aaron nodded. “Sir, aren’t we going to protect your wife? What if those people aren’t there?”

“They have to be,” Paul reassured him. “If they have any hope of getting close to her. As for my dear Elena, I sent the butler to check on her. She’ll be safe, as long as you can do your part.” Paul patted Aaron’s shoulder. “You can do that for me, right?”

Aaron gazed at Paul, determination flashing in his eyes. “Yes, I can, sir.”

“Good,” Paul extended a hand. “Call me, Paul,” he said.

“Aaron, sir,” he replied, shaking Paul’s hand.

Paul escorted Aaron to the main chamber and pointed out the direction in the side wing. “That’s where Elena is. My butler will make sure she is safe. For now, let’s me introduce you to some of my friends.”

True to his word, Paul introduced Aaron to several important benefactors and family friends.

“Will Kowalski!” Paul called out. A man with a white rose turned and cheered. The two hugged.

“Congratulations, Paul,” he said, shaking his friend’s hand vigorously.

“Thank you. Meet a new friend of mine. Aaron,” Paul turned to face Aaron.

Caught off guard, Aaron stumbled out a response. “Uh…h-hi,” he said, raising his hand awkwardly.

The crowd chuckled.

“Is he still a boy?” Will laughed.

“We will make him ripe as a fellow could be,” Paul said, slapping Aaron on the back, causing him to stumble forward. The group laughed again at Aaron’s humiliation. “Well, I need to show this one around. Let me know if you need another glass or two!”

Paul then lead Aaron out, giving him space to recover and helping him fix his suit. “If you want to help, I will need more than just a confident act. These people aren’t afraid to chew each other out, even someone like you, understand?”

Aaron nodded. “Yes, sir.”

“Then act like it,” Paul said, giving a light punch to Aaron’s chest, which made Aaron recoil.

When he recovered, Aaron looked away for a second. A moment was needed to breathe deeply and prepare himself to look back at Paul, a moment to prepare for his mission. Finally, looking back into Paul’s bright hazel eyes, he stood straight. “Don’t worry about me, sir. I can handle this.”

Paul give another light punch to his chest. Aaron did not move. “Good. Now, let’s go.”

As they returned to the main chamber, several more people approached Paul.

“Hey, hey! There’s the man of the hour.” Shouted a man with a bushy beard, drawing the attention of several others. A larger crowd soon formed around them

“Paul!”

“Oh my God, what took you so long?”

“Hey, Paul! Have you met my brother?”

“Mr. Stevens, we must talk.”

The crowd surrounded Paul, who expertly complimented them and slowly dispersed the group until he had a moment to breath among five others. Finally, with things settled down, Paul turned to Aaron, and introduced him.

“Everyone, I would like you to meet Aaron, a gentleman from my firm.” Paul said.

“Well, hello there!” An older man said. “A gentleman such yourself could afford to look better at one of these events. This is a wedding, you know.”

The younger man beside him looked provoked by the elder’s address. “Dad!” He whispered, his voice cracking. A sense of familiarity struck Aaron. “That’s not polite.” The way he whispered, the way his voice cracked—it was definitely him. The younger man was one of the voices he heard from the balcony.

Aaron was faced with a different problem now; all eyes were on him. Paul was giving him a look, the kind where he expected Aaron to stand up for himself. Aaron understood and rushed out a response. “Oh, well, that’s because I work hard to keep everything in order,” Aaron said quickly. “I was rushing to arrive on time…”

“On time!” The old man cracked up. “Young man, the party doesn’t start till midnight!” The crowd howled in laughter. Even Paul smiled.

“I want to introduce my friend to others. Please excuse me, Mr. Siemens. Let’s talk again when we have minute.” Paul said, raising a glass to the elder man.

Paul pulled Aaron away, but before he could call out to another group, Aaron pulled on his cuff, and stepped up to face Paul. “That boy, beside Mr. Siemens,” Aaron said. “It’s him! I heard his voice.”

Paul raised an eyebrow. “Him?” Paul asked inquisitively. “Jacob Siemens. His family are friends of ours. I don’t think…”

“I am sure of it, sir.” Aaron interrupted, confident. He knew what he heard, and he recognized the voice. He played the conversation over again in his head. The way he cracked his voice, the subtle deepness. He turned to look at Jacob, whose voice he honed in, focusing through the sea of noise of the crowd while he spoke to his father. There was no doubt about it.

Seconds later, shouting erupted, followed by a feminine shriek. A man rushed onto the punch stand, brandishing a gun.

The man shot two rounds into the ceiling. Everyone fell to their knees in freight. “Paul Stevens! We are taking your wife. Bwa ha ha-ha ha!” He then jumped off the table, ran out onto the balcony, secured a rope, and rappelled down.

Aaron stood up and ran to the edge where the rope was. The masked man had already landed on the first floor and was running to two others masked men, carrying a bound woman.

“Elena!” Aaron screamed. Adrenaline surged through him as he grabbed the rope and slid down, hardly noticing his burning fingers. He landed and sprinted towards the car. The kidnappers had begun to accelerate and Aaron lunged, barely brushing the trunk handle and landed in the grass, before the car sped off through the open gate, echoing off into the night.

Silence enveloped the parking lot, broken by distant shouts of security and Aaron’s incoherent swearing as he pounded his hot fist on the grass, sobbing. The crowd emerged, witnessing the pitiable display Aaron was in. Paul approached and kneeled beside him. He said nothing, only patted Aaron’s back.

A snicker pierced the quiet, then several more, until laughter and cheering erupted from the crowd. Applause filled the air, and even Paul’s voice boomed with joy. Aaron turned, bewildered. Why were they laughing? Did they not just see what happened?

“Son!” Paul said, still snickering. “Thank you!”

Aaron was stunned. “Wh-what? Why? Wh…” He stammered as words failed him.

“Take a look,” Paul pointed towards the balcony. Emerging from the balcony entrance was the remarkable woman of the hour, Elena Stevens. Her dress shone bright white like the stars above with fairy-like wings of silver sparkled under the evening lights.

Aaron’s jaw dropped. She was a vision, but circumstances continued to elude any understanding. I-I don’t understand,” he finally uttered.

“Of course you don’t, boy!” Paul said with a smile. “Did you not get the invitation? This was all planned. But by God, I did not plan for this! You were amazing. Next time, let me know if you want another major role. Everyone always loves an action man.”

Paul then turned the crowd. “Ladies and gentlemen, Aaron!”

The applause that followed was thunderous, but it felt hollow to Aaron. For what was done, he could not erase the turmoil inside him. He wanted to smile, acknowledge the cheers, but his heart was heavy with humiliation.

As the applause faded, Aaron’s world seemed to spin. He struggled to focus on the faces around him, the conversations blending into an indistinguishable hum of noise and a mosaic of fashion moving about.

The fireworks outside painted the sky with bursts of color as the pre-celebration had finally begun and the crowd prepared for the next stage of the party, but Aaron didn't lift his gaze. His thoughts were consumed by what had transpired, the kidnapping, the deception.

He turned and walked out those gates, the men and women who stood at the gate snickered as he walked out. Sitting in his car, he turned to look at another commotion unfolding. The frantic shouts, another car rushing out of the gates. This time the security leapt into action.

The distant shouts of the crowd becoming apparent. “Elena!” Everyone cried.

Aaron did nothing. He remained in his world. The humiliation, the fear, the confusion—they were all genuine. But so was courage in the face of danger.

But as the sirens cried out in the night sky, Aaron made a silent vow to himself: to be stronger, wiser, and never let himself be a pawn in someone else’s game again.

May 18, 2024 00:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Daniel Dundin
21:33 May 22, 2024

Fun story! And the overlapping conversations were very effective at creating a disorienting, crowded experience.

Reply

Artur Kondratyev
19:54 May 23, 2024

Thank you. I wasn't sure if it was going to be read as well as I hoped for the general audience, but I am glad that part made it through. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David Sweet
17:48 May 19, 2024

Interesting turn of events. I was wondering if at the end it was true sirens or if you were referring to the fireworks or actual Sirens. I'm assuming she was really kidnapped and that he was right all along? It was a little confusing for me at the end, but I believe I caught the irony. Good luck with your writing.

Reply

Artur Kondratyev
19:56 May 23, 2024

She was, and I thought the sirens would make an interesting double meaning between actual sirens and the overall sound the crowd produced along with the fireworks. Thank you. I hope to keep it up.

Reply

David Sweet
20:55 May 23, 2024

Please do. Best of luck to you in the future.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.