1 comment

Fantasy Drama Fiction

This story contains sensitive content

John felt cheated. He asked for more time, but what he got was the ability to briefly stop time. He wanted more time to kiss his wife, to watch his son's soccer game, to embarrass his daughter by being an amazing dad to her friends, and most importantly, he wanted more time to enjoy being alive. Maybe if he had the ability to stop time when he was younger, he could have given himself more time

to think about all the mistakes, he made that got him here. Maybe then he wouldn't have gotten cancer. And maybe then, he wouldn't have to watch his family suffered because of him.

All he can do is lay in his hospital bed, waiting for the moment it is finally over. Stopping time only made these moments longer. And the silence of the room was deathly already. Every time he stops time, the world sits still. No noise. No motion. Nothing.

It was haunting to see, especially seen John is too weak to move. He might as well be frozen with time. The only thing that these powers are good for is when John's family visited. But as they stood still, John's heart sank a little. As they froze in place, they were more

lifeless than John. And he would know what lifeless looks like, he has cancer after all. No emotion. No movement. No reaction.

Was that what John will be after he dies?

His heart sank a bit more.

"I have a question." John asked his wife. Their kids were left all left and it was only Diana left to comfort her husband.

"I have an answer." Diana replied back.

"If you were given the ability to stop time, what would you do?" John asked.

Diana laughed, "That's easy. I would learn how to draw."

John was confused, "That seems random, why?"

Diana pauses for a moment as her eyes showed the hidden sadness underneath her smile, "Well, because I am not very good at drawing, so I take my time. But usually, the things I want to draw are always very fleeting and beautiful. I just want to capture it. A moment. That moment. When everything is still and perfect. And then, I draw it. Not take a picture of it. No, I want to draw it out, because that tells everyone that that is my moment. My perfect little moment in time."

John raised an eyebrow and chuckled, "You are such a weirdo."

Diana stuck her tongue out at John in a teasing manner, "And I managed to trick you into believing that that is one of my better traits. I am not the idiot who married me. I am the master manipulator that tricked a hottie into marrying this dork."

John rolled his eyes, but he couldn’t help but to smile, "If I told you, that I have the ability to stop time right now, what would you say?"

Diana pondered for a moment, before her eyes widen with joy. She rushed out of the room and return a few minutes later. She placed a large book on John's bed and pointed to it, "Lord of the Rings. You always complain you don't have time."

John burst out laughing, "You really want my last few...."

He stopped himself as he saw something besides excitement in Diana's eyes. There was desperation there. A desperation of sharing one more moment together. So, John stopped time and begin reading. He only stopped for a moment as he looks over his bedside,

to see his beautiful wife's face, staring at him with wonder as to what he is reading. It took him a day or two to finish and made time move again. After that Diana showed him with questions as John answered her with the biggest smile on his face. Diana would burst out laughing as John told her that Gandalf is just Dumbledore for Frodo. And how Samwise is the real hero of the story.

"It took breaking the laws of reality in order to make you read Lord of the Rings." Diana complained.

"That and cancer." John added.

"And cancer." Diana repeated.

They paused for a moment as the sun started to set.

Diana sighed, "I hate that I don't have enough time with you. But then again, you do. Spend the extra time and live."

John shakes his head, "How? I am only alive when I am with you and the kids. This extra time....... this isn't living. It's just making me realize how close I am to death's door."

Diana shrugged, "Then you spent that time worrying about the wrong things, my love."

Diana left and John laid there. Pondering on what she had told him.

It was about a few more days before his last visit. In that time, he stared at the ceiling. His memories flashes through his mind of everything he has every being through. He remembered all the times he laughed, cried, hurt, screamed, hugged, comforted, and

harmed. All of the choice he has made and the life he has lived. It wasn't anything too special. In fact, it was all very boring and lame. Compared to the grand adventures that the little hobbits go on, John is anything but special.

He chuckled humorlessly as he recalled a time when he wanted to become an actor but had to give up on that dream. And yet if he knew how much time he had in his life he wouldn't have put years of his efforts into following that stupid dream.......

But it was that stupid dream, did he meet Diana. And they wouldn't have kids together. And lived a happy, boring life together. He wouldn't be here if not for that stupid dream.

So, was it a waste of his time?

As John found the answer, he smiled to himself, "Thinking about this is stupid."

On the day that his wife visited, John had a widen sketching pad on his lap. Diana smiled at him, "Taking in a moment?"

John shakes his head, "No. You are."

He handed the pad to his wife, who frowned. He laughed, "These moments can't be cherished by me. Besides, I rather you capture these moments for yourself and for our kids.

I want you to remember me as more than just your husband who has cancer. I want to be remembered as the man who read Lord of the Ring in a few seconds."

Diana frowned hopelessly, "I might take a while. And I might fail. I won't have enough time to finish as well.... I won't have enough time to get better, but you do."

John shrugged, "There is never enough time. But we make time from what we are given. So don't worry about capturing all of this moment. As long as you capture my smile and warmth, then it is good enough for a lifetime of happiness. We won't always catch up with time, but we can spend the time we have being happy. Also, I can wait, I have my entire life for you to get good at drawing."

Diana burst out laughing, "Fine, my love. As long as I get to spend this time with you."

June 01, 2024 08:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

C. J. Payling
10:58 Jun 12, 2024

Hi Tommy This is a nice story. It's very human to want what's best for family and friends, and you show your understanding of this in your writing. A few technical details could be tightened through your editing process. Like the tenses (you wrote in both present and past tense) and try to keep the "ly"s to a minimum (ie "he chuckled humourlessly" could be "he chuckled without humour"). A strong story though. Enjoyable to read. Keep writing. C.J.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.