The Young Ghost

Submitted into Contest #65 in response to: Write about someone’s first Halloween as a ghost.... view prompt

4 comments

Holiday Kids Urban Fantasy

The first year. 

It has been the first year Cassie had died in the car crash and she was only nine years old when it happened. 

Cassie has also been alone for the past year trying to find her parents. Eventually, she has given up and decided to go back home. 

Somehow she knew how to go there alone. It was almost like the house was meant for her to live in for the rest of her internity. Kids often told each other that Cassie's house was where her ghost was and that the house was haunted. While what they said wasn't wrong, Cassie felt offended that someone would say something like that about her home. 

People would go inside every day, considering the door was unlocked, and trash the place. This was especially true for teenagers. Cassie thought it would be a good idea to scare the children based on what the elders have told her. It has worked for the younger children but for the teens, this has only brought more. 

The elders suggested to Cassie that she should not do anything to the teenagers. Cassie thought it was a stupid idea but in the end, she decided to listen to them. She was surprised that this would work considering. 

Fast forward half a year and Halloween comes up. She was excited to get candy and dress up, but she was also scared that someone would ruin the house she was trying to protect all year. Outside the door, she could hear the teenagers talking about the urban legends about her. All lies. Every single one of those things the teenagers said was all false. She couldn't even bring herself to even say anything about the rumor's to the elders. 

All she can do was cry for a little. When she got herself back together, she asked an elder if they can help her protect what she loved. Luckily, he loved scaring people and knew how much others liked to be scared. She ended up being ecstatic and went to get her things for Halloween but Cassie was disappointed about the lack of costumes that ghosts had.

Someone else has comforted her by telling her that no one was going to see her anyways. She got her bucket and went with a group of kids around her age. They were all a group of princesses. When all the kids said "Trick-or-Treat!" The person at the door gave them a small candy each. She then closed the door on Cassie. She thought that she would just go to another door and ask someone else. There was no use, no one was willing to open the door for her.

She then remembered that there was an old lady who said she could see ghosts. Her and her friends that she was joking but she was ready to believe anything at this point. She went to a house that looked worse than hers and went inside. 

"Hello?" She cried. 

"Is anyone there," the old lady asked. "I'm sorry I don't have my glasses to see you. By what you sound, you could very much be a ghost."

Cassie was surprised that she knew the difference. Everyone thought that the old woman couldn't recognize people and that she was dead.

"If I remember you correctly, you must be Cassie. It was very unfortunate what happened to you." The woman fixed her glasses. 

"How did you know it was me?" Cassie asked with a very mumbled tone. It was almost like she was going to cry on the spot. 

"Your friends dared you if I remembered correctly. Would you like to have tea with me, dear?" 

They went inside and talked for a little. Cassie Learned a lot about the old lady and that her name was also Casandra. By the end of their tea session, the old lady gave her something that she wouldn't forget.

"I hope you find your parents someday Cassie."

This was truly a Halloween that she would never forget.

Fast forward five years and she sees a figure in the woods. This very figure wouldn't be so surprising but she almost recognized it. After she saw Casandra, Cassie was given a small bag of candy and a compass. 

"Think of the person you wish to see most and the compass will guide you to them,"

Cassie still hasn't eaten the full bag of candy for hopes to see the old woman again. In three years Cassie has learned to use a compass and spent the other two finding the people she loved most.

When she came closer to the figures she almost cried.

"M-mom? Dad?" Cassie asked. Her mom recognized her first and her eyes welled up.

"Cassandra?..."

"Yeah, it's me, mom..."

They hugged each other and cried in the other arms. When her dad asked about how she was able to find them, Cassie told her about the old woman who lived down the street from them.

"Baby, I thought she was crazy."

"Crazy enough to bring me back to you guys." 

Cassie felt like crying again but she wiped her tears and thought about the old woman who helped her out five years ago.

When they used the compass to find her again, Around three years later, she wasn't found in her house. Cassie felt like she had used the Casandria to find her parents. She was about to leave the house but a ghost emerged from the ground. It was Casandra.

"You were able to find your parents, I'm so proud of you," She hugged Cassie. "I bet you want to tell me more about them, is that correct?"

Cassie laughed and she introduces each person. Later on, she introduced her parents to the elders, both of Cassie's parents were surprised that they lived near so many ghosts.

When they were done, They went back to their house. Cassie looked sad and ashamed of what the house has become. There were mildew, mould and everything you can think of inside.

"I tried to preserve the house as best as I can, but in the past five years it has become a nightmare, I'm sorry I tried the best I could."

"We're not upset that you haven't been able to keep the place clean, you are a ghost after all" Cassie's dad said "We are honestly more impressed that you were able to find this place when you first died."

If you came into this particular house with all the ghosts, you can hear a laugh from this particular girl. If it weren't for that Halloween Cassie wouldn't have been able to live happily.

October 29, 2020 19:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Nandana Prem
13:20 Nov 05, 2020

Wow it was a really nice sweet story. I actually agree with the previous comment that the sentences should be little concised. Also, i did feel that middle part of the strory got a teensy bit here and there. But overall, i really loved your story and the whole halloween setting . Please keep up the really good work.👍👍

Reply

Big Brain
21:16 Nov 05, 2020

Thank you! I really liked your story as well

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Neppi A
03:51 Nov 05, 2020

A very thoughtful story. I liked how you've mentioned the fact that, the more Cassie tried to scare away the teens, the more they came. Overall it was a short and sweet read! I have a writing tip for your future stories. 1) Concise sentences. So instead of, 'It has been the first year Cassie had died in the car crash and she was only nine years old when it happened.' Try constructing the same sentence without elaborating a situation unnecessarily. As in here in the above sentence, you don't have to say "when it happened" be...

Reply

Big Brain
21:14 Nov 05, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.