2 comments

Fantasy

One Moment in Time

Suzanne Marsh

After a long day of antiquing in Bar Harbor, Maine I finally found a small antique shop that

I had never noticed before. It was a bit odd, the proprietress was dressed as if she were a Gibson girl. She welcomed me to her shop with a voice that could shatter glass. She asked if perhaps I would like to see a mirror that she had. She stated that the mirror was found washed up on shore. She had no clue as to where may have come from. I snatched it up immediately. Heading toward home, I began to wonder about this particular find. I decided that I would place on my dresser. It would be used for checking the back of my hair after I styled it in the morning. As it turned out this was no ordinary mirror.

Several years after my trip to Bar Harbor, a very peculiar thing happened, very peculiar. The mirror gave me a glimpse of the owner. She could be my twin I thought. She was dressed in the fashion of the day. The Gibson hair style, the long pink dress. How crazy was this? Suddenly the mirror began to swirl as if by magic. I felt myself being transported to another era. This was the 2020, the COVID19 pandemic was raging here in the United States. I found myself on a luxury liner, it reminded me of movie picture I had seen; “Titanic”. Oh no this was insane, how could I be on Titanic, it sank one hundred and eight years ago today April 15th. As I walked out on the promenade deck I noticed a heavy set woman, with a hug gap in her teeth, she came over and introduced herself as Mrs. Margaret Brown. She was a very pleasant, take charge type of person. I then walked back to the cabin indicated on my ticket E865.

Was this really happening, how could I be here on Titanic, how did I get here, after all I am not Alice Through The Looking Glass, at least I sort of hope I am. I knew what was going to happen tomorrow, Titanic would hit an iceberg and sink. She was touted as being unsinkable. I saw J.J. Astor and his wife Madeline Force Astor as I walked by on the deck. I thought perhaps I could approach the Astors' and tell them what I knew. No, that was not the best idea, after all who was I? I had no idea whose cabin I was about to occupy. I walked into luxury. This cabin had a beautiful canopy bed, with silk sheets and silk comforter. Then I noticed the hand held mirror I had purchased from that woman in Bar Harbor. The question remained; was this mirror some sort of magical item? I don't believe in such things so what was I doing on board a doomed ocean liner? I had no idea if I would escape the fate of so many people but I had to do something. I can't change history, but perhaps I could alter a tiny bit.

I was informed by a steward, that I would be seated at the Captain's table. Perfect, I thought. I could warn Captain Smith to stop the ship before she hit the berg. The problem with that idea was Captain Smith was making this voyage and then planned to retire. How could I possibly make him understand. I was in a quandary, after all I was twenty years old and it was the year 2020 when I awoke this morning. I quickly looked into the wardrobe closet. There was a beautiful lavender and lace gown, with straight lines done in the Edwardian style, a huge hat with pink flowers and an ermine

stole. I rang for the lady's maid. I needed help with my hair and dressing. Those dresses were not made for comfort especially with a corset. She began to pile my long chestnut hair onto the top of head in a Gibson girl type style. My lady's appeared very familiar, then I realized, much to my chagrin; that was the woman who sold me that mirror. I could hear the band playing ragtime out on deck. It was still fairly warm.

I hoped against hope that the weather would remain warm but I knew that it became very cold when Titanic got closer to the icebergs. I was scared, surely if the mirror brought me here the mirror would put me back in my own era. I somehow had to convince someone, anyone that Titanic would sink within a few hours. I remembered reading A Night to Remember. I decided that my first point of contact should be with Captain EJ Smith. In the movies he always seemed like someone's grandfather. I sat down at the Captain's table, across from sat JJ and Madeline Force Astor, next to me Margaret Brown, the Captain Smith and on his left J. Bruce Ismay. I felt flattered to find myself among the most elite of their time. Mr. Thomas Andrews rounded out the table companions. He was quite a handsome man. Captain EJ Smith, was a very distinguished looking man and likeable. JJ and Madeline Astor were very much preoccupied with themselves. Margaret Brown, was rowdy but the life of the table. J. Bruce Ismay, was a suitable tyrant sitting at the table. Everything was his way or no way. That would prove the undoing of Titanic.

After dinner, I spoke to Captain EJ Smith:

“Captain it was a pleasure sitting at your table. There is something I would like to discuss with

you immediately.”

Captain Smith motioned me to follow him. We sat in a small alcove, I twisted a menu as I nervously began:

“Captain, in several hours actually Titanic will hit an iceberg. By 2am April 15th, 1912 she

will go down by the bow. Please, stop before ten.”

The captain seeing the earnestness in my eyes, patted my hand:

“My dear young woman, Titanic is unsinkable, didn't you read about that before you

booked passage. There is no possible way she could sink. If that is all I must return

to my table.”

He must return to his table, well perhaps Mr. Andrews would listen. He appeared interested

in anything concerning Titanic. I waited until I was sure he had finished speaking to the Captain. I looked at the watch around my neck. I had only a few moments before Titanic would collide with the iceberg:

“Mr. Andrews, could I please have a moment of your time?”

He turned around and smiled:

“Mr. Andrews in less than ten minutes Titanic is going to hit an ice berg. She will sink by

2am tomorrow morning. Please don't question me as to how I know this, but please

trust me it will happen.”

He nodded, then turned to go. He pivoted on his heel and turned back around:

“do not be afraid young lady, she is a good solid ship. She won't sink.”

I headed back to my stateroom, sick at heart that I could do absolutely nothing to dissuade anyone. My lady's maid appeared a few moments later:

“Miss, are you all right, you look as if you are about to cry.”

I wiped my tears:

“I tried, I honestly tried to tell Captain Smith and Mr. Andrews Titanic is going to hit a...”

The alarms began to ring. Bells sounded, maids and stewards began scurrying to their posts. I was to late. My maid appeared several minutes later with two life belts in hand. She handed me one. Had me dressed in my warmest coat and hat with gloves. She ushered me out into the fracas. I ran back into the stateroom and grabbed my silver hand mirror. I once again returned on deck.

I gazed into the mirror, suddenly I found myself back in the year 2020. Perhaps it was just being self isolated or maybe it actually happened just that way.

April 19, 2020 20:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

21:28 Apr 30, 2020

A very intriguing story! I loved it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
08:20 Aug 20, 2021

Woah, well written and nicely plotted. Keep on the good work.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.