0 comments

LGBTQ+ Romance Urban Fantasy

Eliza sat on the train, trying her best to finish a letter to a friend in London. She had been trying to finish it for a few days now, and the noise on the crowded train was not helping. She had tried blocking out the noise with her headphones, but they hadn't done much. But, the dull to the noise was still appreciated. Logically, she knew that her stop was coming up soon and she should just put the letter in her satchel and finish it later, but she felt a sense of obligation to finish it now, not tomorrow.

She was about two thirds of the way done when her phone went off.

"Ugh! Who is it now!?" She groaned, putting the letter in its envelope and slipping it in her bag before grabbing her phone. She turned on her phone and looked at the notification.

~Sunny~

Where are you, I've been trying to get your attention for like 10 minutes

Eliza almost kicked herself for forgetting why she was even on this stupid train. She looked at her wrist to see a few questions messily scribbled along it. She frowned and drew a small heart beside one of the questions.

*Arty*

Almost there, sorry got distracted

At that moment, the train stopped and the announcement echoed through the speakers, "Stop 13. Stop 13."

Eliza stood up from her seat and started toward the opening doors. She walked off the train and onto the platform looking from side to side. Suddenly, she felt a pairs of arms wrap around her from behind. To say she elbowed the person softly on the ribs, would be a complete understatement.

She turned around to see the person, then tried, and failed, to not laugh at her soulmate, Aria's, pained expression, "You could have just told me you were there."

"Aw, but that wouldn't have been as fun." She whined, pouting.

"You want to get hurt?!" Eliza asked, exasperated.

"I mean it's not normally that bad, and you look so cute when you're confused." She realized how creepy that could sound, right? Right?

"You realize that sounds weird right?" She ever-so-politely informed her

"Eh." Oh, so she just doesn't care. Great.

"Ok! Surprise time!" She announced grabbing Eliza's hand and pulling her in the direction of the exit

" Ummm...What?" Eliza asked confused, as far as she knew they were just going to hang out at Aria's house.

"You thought I'd have you come here for no reason? No! Of course not!" Did she just answer for her? Nevermind, doesn't matter.

"I mean, it sounds like something you'd do." The commentary didn't seem to go over great with her, though.

"That hurts."

"Ok."

"So am I staying over tonight or am I going home tonight?" Eliza asked, getting her phone out to text her housemate.

"You're staying with me, idiot." Aria answer, glancing at her momentarily.

She let Aria pull her away and out of the crowds. Sometimes, she questions why she doesn't just live with her girlfriend. She lives in such a pretty town, with cobblestone streets, gardens, streams, flowers, and other plants. Did she forget the fairy lights hung over the lanterns on the streets or the fact that it's right beside a beach and forest. She already spent like half her time here anyway.

Anyway, she had kind of zoned out for a second, only coming back to reality because she felt Aria stop. Aria looked at her and laughed pulling a blindfold into view.

"You okay with being blindfolded for a bit?" Aria looked at her with a small crooked smile.

All Eliza could think to do was nod and let the taller girl tie the fabric around her eyes. A thought suddenly appeared in her head so she voiced it, "Please don't run me into stuff. I've heard it doesn't feel too good."

"Oh please, I would never." Aria said, right before veering her left suddenly, yeah right.

She couldn't really tell where they were going other than in the direction of the forest. Well, she could also be wrong. She was just guessing based on the fact that the sound of leaves crunching beneath her and Aria's feet. She also heard the quiet humming of her girlfriend and the animals. She could feel the soft breeze blow lightly against her arms, stomach, and legs as she walk. As refreshing as the breeze was though Eliza hoped there would be some blankets.

After a good ten or twelve minutes of walking blindly, she felt Aria stop, "We're here!"

The blindfold was torn from her eyes showing her the scene before her. In front of her were an assortment of patches of green, rock, and water. There was a picnic blanket and basket on one of the patches of green, along with quite a few blankets. If you looked straight forward you would see a glistening waterfall that looked as if it was made of crystals. Surprisingly, the sound of the water wasn't that loud either, more or less relaxing. The water was crystal clear, so much so she just wanted to jump in the water, but prompted not to since she was not wearing a bathing-suit, only clothes. It had gotten pretty late, in fact it was a round nine already, so an added bonus was seeing the water reflect the moon and stars in the water.

Eliza was dragged from her thoughts by someone pulling her softly towards the set up. She couldn't place it but there was a small sense of deja vu this was giving off to her, but she didn't really question it much as she walked with her girlfriend.

Soft giggling took her attention next as she looked at Ari, "Look familiar?"

She nodded her head, not sure what to say.

"Good, that was the point. Do you recognize it?"

This time Eliza shook her head, a memory nagging her for some reason.

Light laughter filled the air as Aria looked down at Eliza slightly, "It looks like the first painting you ever made of us. Y'know the one where we're both dancing on water, waterfall in the background, picnic on the rocks."

The image quickly flashed through her mind before she looked up smiling.

"Do you like it?"

Eliza jumped up slightly to tackle her in a hug and looked her in the eyes giddy, "..It's perfect."

The night went amazingly. The two just talked, ate, and laughed for the first half, but then were cuddling and laughing covered in blankets in the second half due to the cold of the wind picking up. Eliza had gotten comfortable and was half asleep, wishing life would stay like this forever. She felt the lull of sleep fall over her as she looked at the scenery one last time before closing her eyes and welcoming sleep.

April 20, 2021 11:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.