Sampaguita

Submitted into Contest #86 in response to: Write a story where flowers play a central role.... view prompt

1 comment

Fiction LGBTQ+ Romance

You’re the symbol of fidelity, purity, devotion and divine hope.

I was feeling different today and I feel like I need to breathe fresh air, if the air is still fresh, and do some brisk walking. Next month, GCQ is planning to implement again by our Government because of high volume case of virus. My planned visit to Baguio, to celebrate Flower Festival with my few friends and if possible with my love, did not go ahead. I sighed of the thought. I suddenly question myself. How long does this virus last?

I use my electronic bike and went to park. The wind is still a bit chilly. It’s the second week of February. Not yet hot in a tropical country that used to humidity. I can still feel the cold winter season of other country which is caused by the surge of cold northeast monsoon winds or what we know as Amihan. While driving, I’m thinking if it is right coming back in our country and left my beautiful jasmine with issues going on. I shake my head a bit and focus on driving.

While at park, I look for a clean grassy ground area to lay down and feel the atmosphere while eyes close. I suddenly smelled a familiar scent. Sensually-sweet yet exotic scent.

You are considered as strength, dedication and love.

“Ale! Ale! Bili ka na.”

Looking one eyed open at the kids, I get up and sit. They offered a bunch of small, white, necklaced flower.

“Ah! Sampaguita!”

I knew it!

The kids, which was happened as siblings, left with wide smile after I bought all the necklaced aromatic Sampaguita. Staring, wondering where to put these flowers. Half smiling, unsure of what I did. I bite my cheek inside. I am not a Catholic so I don’t have statues of Saints in our house to hang the flowers with. While thinking, I put it near my nose and inhaled it’s royal with rich warmness and distinct sweet, heady fragrance, which is its unique feature, that fills the air at the park. Very feminine, like my jasmine. The smell of nutmeg undertones while fully blossomed.

Laying down again, I remember my old folks (which are now dead by the way), that Sampaguita is good for relaxation and stress-relief.

Right! That’s it!

I will stuff the flowers in a piece of cloth bag and put it on bed beside me, like my grandmother always did. Hoping that this might helps me sleep sound and fast tonight.

With a joyful heart, I decided to drive around near park. Stuff the Sampaguita at the front basket while wearing two necklace of this pure white, dainty, star-shaped, five-petals blossoms around my neck so I can smell the scent of it. But I'm still missing my jasmine.

You are my happiness and the sign of my new beginning.

I should be taking care of my jasmine but instead I left and that’s being selfish. What if my fellows forgot to greet my jasmine every morning? What if my jasmine is alone and lonely in our home? What if my jasmine died?

Heading in a near hawk center, a place selling different kind of cuisine . There are lots of flower pots displayed in every stall. You can really feel spring time is near. Though we don’t have spring season, we still celebrate it. With all the displayed flowers, the Sampaguita - our country’s National Flower, still stand out because of it’s simplicity. Like the innocence of a girl, a reverence to a relationship and humble being with humility.

I'm being poet again.

Suddenly, I rub my thumb on one of the waxy flowers hanging on my neck, remembering how my jasmine is same much as Sampaguita. Well, literally, Sampaguita is in the same family as the common jasmine.

Speaking of family. Are we?

Walking continuously. My attention was caught by a crowd in the corner of the place. There are tarpaulin showing different flavors of ice cream. Fresh fruits, nuts, chili … chili? Malunggay? Sampaguita? Really?

Still in awe with my mouth open. A short, middle aged woman came outside with bowls of ice cream in a tray. Even in plain sight, their ice cream is different among others. The flavors are exotic so it looks different. How? Is that edible? Well, I know it’s edible. But I mean, an ice cream?

You can still feel the cool breeze, but their ice cream attracts many buyers. I can feel myself wanting to taste the Sampaguita ice cream but I don’t know why. Why the hesitation?

When suddenly, a warm hand touched my shoulder that almost startled me.

“Oops! Sorry. Just wanted to ask if you like to try our artisanal ice cream?”

Staring at the owner of a warm and soft hand. I was greeted by a tall, young woman with…

“It’s blue. I know.” She read my thought.

“Oh. I was supposed to say ocean eyes because it’s not perfectly blue.”

Gosh! Triss. Are you trying to make a conversation.

My eyes changed direction. I swallow big, and found myself looking back at the ocean orbs. Our eyes met and we both smiled.

Sacredness, gracefulness, modest. Is what you portray.

She offered me a sit, not far from their store. We started talking a lot. The young woman explained why they chose this business and how they started it. They call it Artisan ice cream which obviously, derived from artisan maker. Great skill plus great ingredients equals great ice cream. That’s what I understand.

I told her what caught my attention are the exotic flavors specially Sampaguita.

“Jasminum Sambac,” she paused, studying my facial expression so I look down like a shy little girl. “Why Sampaguita?”

I knew that she’s going to ask me that. No answer came out from my mouth and I saw her shrug.

“Do you know that it’s a natural aphrodisiac,” she smirked.

My eyes widen and cough a little. I heard her laugh. After calming herself, she cleared her throat and told me other benefits of the lovely flower. Surprisingly, the flower that I thought poisonous contains anti-cancerous agent and natural remedy for snoring. I also learned that it eases stress, depression, cough and cold.

“I thought it is poisonous,” asking with curiosity.

And from her, I learned that there are family of Jasmine that is poisonous but specifically, not the Sampaguita.

“So… who’s the girl?” she suddenly asked with a teasing smile.

My eyebrows furrowed, “How…?”

I was cut by a call from anonymous number. I excused myself to answer the call.

“Hello?”

“Baby, where are you?”

My heart beats faster. That voice. My jasmine. But why? How?

M-mahal ko? W-where are you?” I stuttered knowing that she’s near because of the phone number she’s using.

“Your auntie’s house.”

My heart is jumping with joy. My jasmine, my beautiful jasmine is here.

“I’m coming home, Jas. I’m coming home.”

March 26, 2021 19:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Threese Belivett
10:30 Apr 17, 2021

Thank you for the people who liked my story of SAMPAGUITA. It's really our National Flower, and because I am proud to introduce this tiny flower but gigantic in every aspect. I associate it to a romantic situation. I know not all like a bent story but everytime I write, it ends to this. Maybe it's what my heart is longing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.