0 comments

Crime Thriller Sad

TW: blood, gore, murder

“And they live happily ever after” I close the book I’m reading then I looked at my sister who currently stopping her eyes to close, I chuckled.

 

“ The End.” I whisper when she finally close her eyes and sleep. I slowly get up to her bed and I make sure that her blanket will not fall onto the floor.

 

I come out of her bedroom and carefully close her door not wanting to disturb her sleep. I look at the clock and it’s already nine pm and I have a work at ten pm. I hurriedly fix myself in my bedroom and make sure I’m presentable when I come out of my room and went to the kitchen to prepare her breakfast for tomorrow so when I come home tomorrow I just heat it and ready before she woke up.

 

 

When I make sure that everything is prepared and I make sure that all outlets is fine, I get my house key and looked at my parents’ picture and kiss it before I went out and lock the door and the gate.

 

Our house is located a little far from the other houses so I walk until I reached the bus station and I did not wait for the bus to arrive because the bus is also waiting for the passengers, there are only a few passengers because it’s already late. I pick a bus seat near at the bus door because it’s only ten minutes away to my work place when I take a bus.

 

My mom died three years ago, she was kidnapped together with my 8 years old sister at that time, my mom killed, but they manage to save my sister, but since that day everything changed. Then after a year my father died, he also killed. Our life is full of tragic since the kidnapping, and I can only do the best for my little sister.

 

When I saw the signage of the next bus station I stand up and ready to get off the bus. I immediately get off and I feel the cold air of the night. I look at my watch and it’s already 9:48pm, I’m still not late, I hurriedly walk towards my work place which is located at the next corner of the road. I entered at the backdoor then I saw the manager checking the kitchen.

 

“Good evening Mr. Billy” I greeted him like I always do.

 

“Good evening, fix yourself, you will assigned inside the kitchen tonight”

 

“Okay sir” I walk towards the locker room for us workers, I put my bag in my assigned locker and lock it and went inside to do my job.

 

“Michelle, clean the take out the trash now, we need to double time because we have many customers tonight compared to our usual night” the head chef told me while still chopping the ingredients. I took out the trash and replace the bin bags, I also map the floor and wipe the dirty parts of the kitchen, making sure that the food will not touch by any bacteria.

 

It’s already four am and I just finished washing the dishes. I’m seating inside the locker room and resting a bit, at 4:30 am, I need to help the chefs in taking care the incoming ingredients, the new and fresh ingredients will deliver at 4:30 in the morning. Jen one of the waitresses is also seating or more like lying down in the long plastic chair, while using her phone.

 

“Another murder case happened last week” she said, probably talking to me, but her eyes are still in her phone. I close my eyes.

“They still don’t find who’s the murderer” I don’t want to hear it, I just want to rest.

 

“Michelle you should ask Mr. Billy if he can let you work at morning for your own safety” she suggested, I open my eyes and look at her

“I can’t. I also have my work at day” she sighs.

 

“You should be extra careful then, we can’t make sure our safety nowadays” she takes a stand, probably preparing to do work again.

 

“You too, you should also be careful, you don’t have company to your house” she just nodded at me.

 

I stand up and did a little stretch before leaving the room, but I heard my phone rings and I was immediately nervous, there is one person who will call me at this hour, my sister. My hands are starting to tremble while getting my phone, and when I saw whose calling I answered the call and hurriedly putting my things inside the bag.

 

“Kyline” I prayed hard just my innocent Kyline answer me.

 

“ Michelle!” and my knees weaken when I heard my sister’s voice, she called my name with glee but it’s life less.

 

“You’re awake Kyline, why?” I walk out of the room and I saw the chefs and the Mr. Billy the manager, I also hear them called me, but I ignored them and went out the establishment. I need to go home now!.

 

“I had a nightmare, but the moment I woke up I’m feeling fine” I run towards the bus station, but I can’t see any bus or cars, sh*t! not now, please please.

 

“I’m going home sweetie, wait for me okay?” I reach the bus station and walk back and forth in the waiting shed, where’s the bus?!.

 

“Okay, but I’m hungry! I need to go out to get food” I’m already sweating bullets even it’s cold outside, my body is already trembling

 

“No! don’t go outside baby, just stay there and—and look in the refrigerator I prepared meals for tomorrow, but you can heat it and eat” F*UCK where’s the bus?. I can’t run at this hour it’s too dangerous that can cause me more time before I reach my house, and I can’t afford that.

 

“But it’s for tomorrow, I will just buy food outside, I’ll be back before you can go home, bye”

 

“No Kyline!” but she hung up the phone.

 

I’m ready to run, because I have no choice, but I see a bus coming, and I raise my hand to make them stop even they should really stop, because it’s a bus stop.

 

I hurriedly enter the bus and swipe my card to pay and lucky the driver did not wait and drive off the bus.

When the bus stop at the bus stop near at my house the moment the door open I hurriedly run.

 

“CAREFUL!” I ignore the bus driver words and still running, I reach the gate of my house and hurriedly get my keys, but before I put the key to the padlock, I curse inside my head, because it’s open, she went outside!.

 

I took a deep breath to calm myself, and I slowly open the door and I gasped at the scene in front of me.

 

“You’re here!” I hold tight to doorknob because my knees weaken again, I slowly close the door and lock it.

 

 

FLASHBACK

 

 

I’m finding the gate padlock key when I heard a scream coming inside the house, I hurriedly unlock the gate and open it and I went to the front door and open it and I saw my sister hugging her knees while crying hard, I walk towards her and kneel and approach her.

 

“What happened? Kyline, what happened?” I shake her shoulder and I tried to lift her head to look at me. She looked at me, but still crying, then I just noticed the blood on her face, shocked was visible on my face.

 

“I—I don’t know I don’t know!” she was trembling so I hug her, I looked at the surrounding, there must be a thief in here.

 

“Where’s father, Kyline? He must protect you” I rubbed her back while reaching my phone inside my pocket.

 

“I don’t know! I just have a nightmare, but when I woke up, I’m already here and I saw the blood” she sobbing hard. I called the police and they immediately went in the house, Kyline don’t want anyone touching her, she only wants me hugging her like she’s sure that I will protect her.

 

“Ma’am, we saw something in the kitchen, but—“ the police officer looks at my sister and look at me.

 

“What, sir? Did you find our father? There’s blood on the floor, he might hurt while protecting my sister ” he gestures me to follow him.

 

“I suggest that she shouldn’t follow us” I’m confused, but I chose to listen to him and convince my sister to stay in the living room and I will come back after I looked at the kitchen.

 

I follow the officer, but I almost vomit the moment when they open the kitchen door and I inhaled the smell. I cover my nose and walk inside. I stilled at the scene. The blood is scattered on the floor, there are knife and utensils. I saw meat, but that’s the first time I saw that kind of form of meat.

 

I already have a conclusion in mind, but I don’t want to entertain it.

 

“We never touch anything at the moment” the officer talks while I just stilled there and wanted to cry.

 

“We followed the blood and we’re very sorry, but it traced us to your fathers’ room” then my knees buckled.

 

“Your sister kidnapped a year ago and saw a crime, your mother was killed in front of her, I suggest to take her to a doctor” He help me to stand up and walk towards the living room, where my sister is seated on the sofa. I saw her hugging the sofa pillow and look everyone with her innocent eyes, while the blood on her clothes.

 

I took her to the doctor, and some professionals talk to me since that was a crime of nine years old, but it was settled. She was diagnosed with dissociative identity disorder or DID or most commonly split disorder. From that day I need to work hard day and night just to have money for her medication and our other stuff.

Her real self is still innocent, like an angel, but her other personality is a murderer like a demon. We move to the new house and start a new life after almost a year of medication, and the doctor said she was already okay.

 

But a month ago, the murder case rate raised, and the victim were always a drunken person who slept at the street or a beggar who sleep at the street and I discover why when she called me at dawn and she said she woke up because of nightmare and she’s hungry, the nightmares are the triggered and the moment she woke up she mirrored what the kidnappers did. The body was still on the street, but some body parts are gone.

 

END OF FLASHBACK

 

“I went outside to buy food, but I saw that on the street, so I cooked it” she was seated at the dining table and ready to put that thing at her plate. Blood is still stained at her shirt.

 

“Seat down already! Taste this and tell me if I already improve my cooking skills” she still talking while I’m slowly seating at the dinning.

 

She put that thing at the plate in front of me, but I just looking at her.

 

“Please wake up now” I whisper and praying that she will wake up from this nightmare.

June 27, 2021 11:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.