0 comments

Horror Mystery Sad

I looked at the edge of the cliff, and sighed. What had led to this? The cliff was big, about a mile tall. There was no water below, only the forest, that was covered by the fog surrounding the air above it. I groaned slightly in my head, sad about this idea.

Well.. If you could call it that.

“Cmon, jump already Conner!” I frowned as my friend used a name that only my parents used. 

Ẅhats with you today Con? This was your idea! You have 100 lives left!” Right. Thats what had led to this. A game. I frowned again, trying to remember.

“Hey guys! So, look, I found this old house, opened it up, and found a video game!” I shouted to my friends, suddenly being thrown into my memories. I felt weird. I looked down at my hands and saw that they were smoky gray and translucent. Not normal at all. My friend, Jake, grabbed the small game from my hands, holding it up in the air above me. Being the short friend sucked. Old me tried to grab at it, laughing. 

“ What is this game anyways?” He asked, stopping the teasing and giving it back, laughing a little still. 

¨ I dunno, it’s for that old video game system, the Nintendo switch.¨ I had answered, still interested in the game. The realization hit me like a wrecking ball. 

It was that game. 

The game that had messed up my whole life in two short seconds.

My brain rushed back to the cliff I was standing at, being closer to the edge then before. 

“ Conner, you know from what we found out that this jump is the only way to get out of here. You said that we should jump off the cliff. The cliff is also the only thing we heard of that can knock out two lives at once!” Jake said, gently touching my shoulder. I frowned, and took another step closer to the edge. I had to get out of this. I took one last steadying breath, and jumped. The air around me was harsh, and awesome. I felt immense pain out of nowhere, and realized I had hit the ground. I smelled blood and iron as I died, smiling a little.

Suddenly, I woke up in a bed, blinding white walls surrounding me. There was a nurse by me, checking stuff of on her little clipboard.

"Oh. Your awake." She said in a monotone voice, walking out of the room. I looked around, trying to take in my surroundings. I saw a sign on the door, and I could barely make out the words as I read them.

"Test subject #001, Attempted suicide jumper, no reaction to treatment" A white light flashed through my vision, and I saw nothing and everything at once.

¨ Look! Its a game I found"

"What do you mean, Graveyard cliff?"

"C'mon guys! Lets do it!"

"No way, I can walk another step."

"Once we get out of here, we'll be able to get home!!"

I blinked my eyes open as the memories continued rushing through my head. I realized where I was. Testing lab #3 , northwest district. We had been captured. I stood up out of the bed, rushing to find something, anything, to cover myself with. I got lucky. I ran to the closet door I saw, and opened it. I saw a bunch of adventures equipment, the kind you work for years to get. There was a not on the closest set.

"Hi there :D Make sure you choose your favorite clothes adventurer! Come down to the dining hall once you wake up! :)" What in the world....- I thought I was at testing lab 3, why is there clothes, and a seemingly dining hall?! I frowned, ignoring my instincts for once, putting on the gear, and opened the door with the horrifying note on it. I had been bracing myself for a cold, dark dungeon, and instead got an, admittedly refreshing, cheery looking hallway. I looked both ways outside the door before stepping out, still being wary of traps.

"Hey there." I heard a voice similar to a growl say behind me. I quickly turned, and saw a tall guy standing there, inspecting his nails. I did a quick scan in my brain, and noticed that he had a silver moon mark on his cheek. WEREWOLF! My brain shouted as I stepped back a little.

"Hey, kid, listen, I don't wanna hurtcha. Ignore the fact that I'm a werewolf if ya will." His voice rumbled a little, and I took a nervous gulp of air.

"What's your name little fella?" He asked, looking at me in the eye.

"Uh, um- " I tumbled over my words as I tried to remember.

"Heck. Forget about it. " I think I did forget.

"Anyways, my name is Dave. If you want to call me by my wolf form name, its still Dave." I nodded, starting to feel a little less wary of the tall werewolf. He stood up from his leaning position against the wall, and reached out his hand. I realized that I had sat down on the ground. I shook my head at his offer of help, and stood up myself, wobbling a bit. He huffed.

" You got the best adventuring gear in the business little bud." I made no response as I turned from Dave, following the signs to the dining hall.

"Ey!" He shouted behind me, running to catch up. I slowed down unwillingly, and he caught his breath for a moment before talking again.

"Whats your number?" I paused, shocked.

"My what?" I said, the frown on my face deepening.

"Dear lord, your test subject number you dummy!" He said, slapping his face sarcastically.

"Oh. 001." I responded, not really wanting to talk. He gaped at me a little.

"001?!" He yelped, fear pulsing into his gaze. I looked at him, wondering why he had such a crazy reaction.

"Sorry man, but- Uh, i gotta go." He said, fear shaking his voice as he ran away, going crazy fast. I looked at he wall by me, and saw a poster.

"001, the prisoner killer. Watch out for this insane guy."

April 15, 2021 18:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.