2 comments

Horror Thriller Romance

This time of year is always the busiest here in Garry’s Super Shop. I was forced to get this job after I dropped out of high school. My dad made sure to hold me accountable for my actions. He told me, “Son, you need to learn the responsibility of being an adult and you are going to learn it the hard way.” Sure, dad. Whatever. Being a cashier is way easier than struggling through school. Half the time I wasn’t even showing up, just pretending like I was going to school, then go hang out somewhere for the day. 

I’ve met somebody while working this dead end job too. Her name is Sam, she works the closing shift, so I see her for a few hours before I go home for the day. She’s amazing and she actually understands me in a way that no one else really ever has. Sam and I have shared my last break and her first break together since I started back in the spring. We talk all the time, even when I leave for the day, she makes sure to text me when she has the chance and then we occasionally meet up for a movie when she gets off. We’re not officially an item yet, I haven’t really had the courage to ask her, plus I’m scared it would ruin what we have. 

Tonight, Sam and I have decided to catch a new movie at the local theater. It’s called, “Santa’s Slay 3.” It’s supposed to be three times the blood and gore. Who knows? We both like the stupid horror movies they put out now a days because they all suck but they’re also fun to watch. I’m picking Sam up from Garry’s Super Shop at 9 P.M. on the dot. I might ask her to be my girlfriend tonight. What’s a more perfect time to get into a relationship than right before Christmas? The worst she could say is No. Right?

I pull up just in time to see Sam locking up the doors to the store. She must have brought extra clothes to work with her, because she looks amazing. Her black hair falls over her shoulders and lays flat against her pale skin. Her slim body looks fantastic in that dark red dress. It matches perfectly with her black combat boots. Goth girl of my dreams keeps popping into my head while I watch her walk towards my car. I hop out and open the door for her. 

“What’s the occasion stranger?” She says.

“The occasion? Well I mean, we’re about to watch Santa murder the world for a third time tonight.” I say. 

God she’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.

“What was that?” She asks as I enter the car.

“What?” I look confused.

“Oh, nothing. I just thought I heard you say something else. Sorry.” She looks down.

We’re at the theater, luckily I’ve purchased the movie tickets ahead of time and can just use the app to pick them up. Saves time and effort, plus gives us more time to get snacks! We step out of the car and a very cold gust of wind hits me. Luckily I’m wearing a coat- wait! Sam isn’t wearing a coat!? 

“Hey, take my coat. You must be freezing wearing nothing but that dress.”

She looks confused. 

“Oh, yeah, right. Thank you, my good sir! You have blessed me with warmth.” She says.

We enter the building and are met with that recognizable butter filled air. Our first stop is to print our tickets from the kiosk and then head for the concession stand. Large popcorn, two medium sodas and a king size candy bar to split. Done. Time to head to our seats. When we get to the top row, which is definitely the best position in the theater, I’ll hear no arguments about it. We sit down, Sam is definitely acting strange tonight. Something seems to be on her mind.

“Hey, is everything okay, Sam?” I ask.

She looks up at me. She nods and smiles. It’s definitely slightly forced.

“We can go if you want?”

“Are you kidding? We NEED to see how Santa murders the entire world in one night for the third time in the last three years.” She chuckles and takes a piece of popcorn from the bucket.

The lights dim, the previews for upcoming movies begin. This coming summer there’s some more superhero movies coming out, a new space style movie. The basics that come out every year. Nothing too exciting or crazy but definitely more opportunities to spend time with Sam. The movie begins. I look over to Sam, she still looks worried, this may be my shot. I reach over and hold her hand. My heart is beating like crazy. Her hand squeezes mine. It’s happening! 

“Yeah, it’s happening. Weirdo.” Sam chuckles.

“What?” I ask.

“You said it’s happening and you got all excited. You’re cute!” She smiles.

Maybe I did say that out loud. Oh well, we’re holding hands! Her skin is so soft, her hand is freezing though. Poor thing should have bundled up more. It’s okay. I’ll turn the heater on full blast when we get back to the car. 

Santa throws a strand of Christmas tree lights around a street light and pulls someone’s head off with it. How he did that, who knows. It looks cool though. Sam rests her head on my shoulder. My heart beats faster. This is so awesome. It’s all I’ve wanted for so long. She’s perfect in every way. I look over at Sam who looks comfy. I give her a quick kiss on the lips. Oh god, was that okay? Was it too quick? Too much? Oh god.

“It was definitely okay. Come here.” She says.

She kisses my lips, my cheek and then my neck. She stays there kissing my neck for just a moment. Suddenly there’s a sharp poke, then warmth. Is she…is she sucking on my neck? Oh god, a hickey? That’s fine. It will be a reminder of how I…how…whoa, I’m getting lightheaded. What’s happening? It’s fine. This is my moment, I’ve kissed Sam, made it official…god…what’s…? 

I wake up to a mostly empty theater, people getting up and leaving. Sam is still laying on me. 

“Oh hey, you’re awake! You fell asleep during the movie, I felt bad for you cause you seemed so peaceful so I just let you sleep.” Sam says.

“Oh, well hey, did we actually?” 

“Kiss?” She asks. “Yes we did, my good sir. I hope to do it again sometime.” 

“That’s a deal.” I smile and stand up.

I immediately fall back into the chair. Whoa, that’s weird. I’m really light headed. 

“You okay?” Sam asks.

“Yeah, absolutely. Just a little light headed. I think I’m low on iron or something. No worries.”

We head back out to the car. I start it up and we begin our drive home. 

“Thomas?” Sam says.

“Yeah?” I ask.

“I need to tell you something, and I want you to promise me, you won’t freak out.”

“Okay, I promise.”

“There’s going to be….changes…in your life, things that will make more sense if you hang out with me, I mean you don’t really have a choice now-“

“What? Changes? I don’t have a choice but to hang out with you? What are you talking about?” 

“You’re kind of my…familiar now.” 

“What does that mean? A familiar?”

“I’m a vampire, Thomas. I drank from you because I wanted you to be with me forever. I knew that if I told you before I did it, you’d think I was crazy. You definitely feel something right? Like maybe something that feels like you’re more loyal to me, maybe a bit hungry?” 

Yeah, she’s right. I do feel those things. Like I’d do anything for her. I also feel really hungry. It’s like a painful hunger. 

“It’s painful because you need to drink or it will kill you.” She says.

“Wait, how did you-?”

“I’ve been reading your mind. I’ve been able to do that this whole time.” She smirks. “I know how you feel about me, believe me Thomas. I feel the same way about you.”

“Whoa, this is a lot to process. Vampires are real, you’re a vampire and you like me!? This feels like a dream.” My stomach growls. “God I’m hungry. It hurts so bad.” SNIKT! “What the?”

Fangs appear in my mouth. That’s so crazy! It’s all real. 

“Thomas? We should pull over so you can feed.” Sam says.

“What? Like…like kill someone?”

“You don’t necessarily need to kill them. Just drink enough from the to feed yourself but not too much to empty them. It’s hard to get the hang of at first.”

I pull the car over in a gas station stall. I watch the people in the parking lot.

“There.” Sam points.

There’s a man leaning up against the wall on the side of the gas station, in the dark. How convenient for me.

I step out of the vehicle and approach the man. Sam is directly behind me. “You need to go for the vein on his neck, not the jugular. If you go for the jugular? Well, it won’t be pretty.” She says.

“Uhhh, okay. Alright. I’ll try.

“What do you want?” The man says.

“A snack, I guess?” I reply.

I grab the man’s neck and attempt to sink my fangs in hard and fast. I can feel the blood hit my lips. Wait, that’s a lot of blood. Oh shit. 

Without a moment to spare, the man’s throat explodes in this meaty, bloody puff. 

Sam is laughing as she’s covered in blood. She has never looked more beautiful than she does right now. I grab Sam, I pull her close, and I kiss her. 

“I love you, Sam, my Vampire Queen.” I say.

“I love you too, Thomas.”

November 20, 2022 20:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Colleen Ireland
10:49 Jul 04, 2023

I was not expecting the story twist at all, nicely done!

Reply

Brendan Sanders
15:17 Jul 04, 2023

Thank you so much for reading! I appreciate it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.