0 comments

General

It was disgustingly hot today. A day where you cannot stop sweating and everyone sits in their houses with the air conditioning on. Of course today was the day my AC stopped working. It had been sputtering lately, but I figured it was just me hearing things. Imagine my despair when it stalled in one hundred fifteen degree weather. So I started doing what anyone else would do in this situation, laying on the porch wailing while gnats fought each other to try to get into my nose and eyes.

As I sneezed out ten of those annoying little bugs for the fourth time, I decided to get up and do something about my problem. I whipped out my phone, praying it was not overheated, and, seeing that it was not too hot, dialed the handyman.

“Hey, Gerald,” I grimaced as the bugs dive-bombed my eyes, “Could you come over to fix my air real quick? I’m dying. I have twenty dollars left from my last paycheck if you can fix it.” My question was met with a long, deep laugh.

“Quinn, it’s too hot to come over right now especially since you have no means of cooling down your house. Drink some lemonade, go get some ice cream, and hope by the time you’re back it’s working. I have no interest in working in this weather, especially for only twenty dollars.” Gerald chuckled as I hung up. Grumbling about how hot it was, I picked myself up and started walking to the convenience store with a giant cloud of gnats right behind me. I frowned at how perseverant these bugs were as I swatted away tons, only for them to come back with more. Eventually, I just gave up and decided I’d be getting bug spray too. The walk to the store typically is not long, but with the bugs, the heat, and the sweaty people greeting me on the street, it felt like forever.

Finally, I arrived and stepped into the coolness of the convenience store. Browsing through the aisles, I finally found what I was looking for. Cookies and cream ice cream. Snatching it off the shelf, I walked over to get some lemonade and bug spray, but, right as I grabbed my lemonade, I tripped on something and went crashing to the floor. The bottle shattered in my hand and I winced in pain as a shard cut my hand. I quickly looked at the cut. Luckily, it was not very deep. I grimaced as one thought made its way to the front of my mind. Today is not my day. I threw a bit of money towards the guy at the checkout, pointed to the mess I made, and left quickly after he had given me my receipt. The ice cream tub’s temperature was a welcome contrast to the heat outside. I held it up to my forehead and sighed at the pleasant sensation. Ice cream is the solution to everything.

“’Ey, Quinn!” Someone shouted. Well, maybe not everything, I thought. Sneakers thudded on concrete as the person caught up to me. I frowned as the boy grabbed my arm to slow me.

“I told you never to touch me.” I snarled at the boy. He smirked slightly as I craned my neck to glare at him.

“Grammy heard your house is too hot. Was wonderin’ if you’d wanna come by and chat. She hasn’t seen ya in forever.” The boy said, running his hand through his hair.

“There’s a good reason we haven’t chatted in a while.” I said. The boy looked puzzled at that statement. Rolling my eyes, I started to walk away.

“Did ya have a fallout with Granny? Was she rude to ya?” He asked, walking alongside me.

“No, Trevor.”

“Were ya mean to Granny?” He gasped as he said this.

“No, Trevor.” I was growing more annoyed by the second. As I sped up my pace, he walked a little faster to keep up.

“Then why won’t ya come over?” Trevor frowned slightly as I whipped around to look him in the eye.

“Because I don’t want to sit around listening to you yammer as your granny chuckles at your stupid stories!” I hissed. Trevor’s eyes pooled with tears and he left without another word. He was tall and tough looking, but I was always able to upset him. It just came naturally to me. He would find me and try to talk, I would say something to make him cry, he would leave, and then he would be back the next day as if nothing had happened. It was the circle of life, but I did feel bad this time. Trevor was only asking me to come over to get me out of the heat and he looked really hurt when he left. I frowned slightly, but shook my head and continued on. The gnats had mostly disappeared, but one was set on bothering me. So persistent, I grinned, just like Trevor. I immediately felt bad. I had just left the boy in tears and here I was making fun of him. Turning around, I ran down the street towards the direction Trevor had left in. I hoped that he had not already left. It would take forever to walk to his house. Rounding the corner I called out his name, but got no response. Just as I was about to give up and turn back, I heard a sad voice.

“What?” That was definitely Trevor. I turned towards the voice and found him frowning at me. He wiped away a single tear and glared softly at me.

“I wanted to tell you I’m sorry…” I whispered, but he did not seem to hear me. Before I could say it louder, he stopped me.

“I heard what ya said. That was the first time ya apologized to meh.” Trevor’s glare dropped and a small smile found its way to his face. I smiled back.

“Well maybe I should do it more. Maybe you’d like to hear some more apologies over some ice cream? I can’t finish this tub by myself before it melts.”

“Sure.”

August 04, 2020 00:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.