0 comments

Friendship Middle School

Thoughts rushed through my mind like never before. School. I didn’t want to go again. Ever, ever again. “See you tonight after school” My mum called out to me as I slammed the car door shut in frustration.

“Bye,” I called out as I waved at her with a look of disgust. I knew today would be much the same as every other. People would tease me, bully me just like what had happened to others at the school I was at before because of me and my gang. As I entered the school gates again, the same thing happened. The way cleared for me to walk through. No one ever came over to me, no one wanted me as their friend. They pretended I wasn’t even there.

It was Grade 7, a new year. I knew it was going to be another great year at Silver Wood College, the school that I had been at since the day I was old enough to attend school. It had been an amazing school with my gang of friends, too many to leave behind. Together we had heaps of fun - well at the time - teasing new students that had no friends, calling them names along with this gang that I had grown up with. I had been getting in trouble a fair bit because of this, so were my friends, meetings with my teachers and my parents. All until one day after the 10th meeting with my teachers, my parents decided that it was enough. The next year I will be moving schools where there would be people unknown and there I was to change and I was not to do a repeat of what I had done. That year came to an end and it was chosen for me to go to West Lake Academy for Girls. There I was treated differently by all the girls there, no friends, they all had their groups, no one wanted to invite me into their group even when I asked them if I could join in with their fun. I was always left on my own for school projects and partners. What was wrong with me?

The first day came as I entered the classroom everyone became silent. That silent that if a pin were dropped it would be heard. All eyes fixed on me and I became nervous and shyer than I already was, all I wanted to do was run away. 

“Welcome to 8.3. You must be…. Bethany Odd.” The tall slim teacher said as she slid her glasses down to look at the class list. The classroom was filled with laughter because of my dreadful, horrid name.

“Umm… Yes, I am,” I said shyly.

“I’m Mrs Dale and will be your teacher for this year. Please take a seat next to Ella and we will introduce ourselves to each other.” Mrs Dale said to me. The girl who must have been Ella raised her hand slowly and I took the seat next to her. She had thick red hair in two long braids going over each of her shoulders. Her pale face was dotted in freckles. After two seconds flat of me sitting down, I heard the creak of her chair moving further away from me. It was as if I had a plague, it was like she had seen all of my other earlier actions. The first day came and went and then the next. I knew it was going to be a rough day like every other since I moved school and started coming here. Everything seemed as it had backfired all on me. The same thing happened each day - as soon as I entered the school gates everyone walked away from my direction, no one stayed, it was as if I had some terrible contagious disease that no one wanted to catch. At lunch and recess I sat on my own. Girls would walk past and shout out things like ‘Hey loser’, ‘Hi Miss Odd’ and 'Imagine if your last name was Odd’ and fill themselves with giggles. All these thoughts filled my head and each day I went home sad and depressed wanting to give up. I was going to tell no one. 

Days, weeks, and months moved on slowly. As slow as a wet week, cold and drizzly. I knew nothing was going to change. Nothing. There was no point. After almost a whole year of no friends I walked to class one day disappointed and sorrowful for myself. Thinking of the things I had done, wishing I had never done it. Just as I walked around the corner to walk into my classroom, there was a girl that looked like an 8th grader being bullied because of her lack of height. Now was the time to change things up. Now was the time to make friends. Now was the time to show the world what was inside me and who I actually was. I walked over to the group of girls who had bullied me. 

“STOP!” I shouted

“Who are you to tell us what to do,” a girl yelled at me as I pushed my way through.

“Look who thinks they know what they are doing,” another called across. I walked over to the girl. One that I had never seen before. Ignoring what the others had said, I helped the girl get out of the sticky situation. 

“Are you okay?” I asked her

“Umm… kind of. I’m new here, in grade 8. My name is Evelyn.” the new girl replied.

“I'm Beth, short for Bethany. I can show you the way around if you need.” I told her.

“Okay. Thanks Beth.” Evelyn said.

“Pleasure at any time.” I said with a smile growing on my face. I couldn’t believe this had really happened. My bullying had backfired one me and I had made a friend by helping someone get through it. As I went home that night my parents were surprised. They had never seen me as happy as this. There was going to be heaps to answer for. 

May 31, 2021 10:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.