1 comment

Adventure

“Today’s the day I change. I am going to make things happen and not just react to things.” Tim repeated the words to himself as he entered the clearing and took a moment to catch his breath.

“This is a crazy situation” The thought began to splinter through Tim’s mind as he prepared to sprint through the forest. He was doing his best to keep pace with the Captain.

They were deep in the forests of the country of Emfuenko on the run from a secluded group of tribal villagers who Captain Sassou managed to offend, as he has become accustomed to doing.

“Onward Sir Mentelek, we have attained that which we have come for. The hour for pomposity has alluded us. We must traverse this mystical terrain to meet with our vessel!” Exclaimed Captain Sassou as he zigzagged his way through the lush foliage. 

To Tim, he seemed surprisingly graceful and light on his feet. Tim was hopeful as he watched the Captain somehow manage to avoid spears and darts launched at him from the angry host. Although the villagers were relentless with the barrage of projectiles they hurled in the Captain’s direction, they just seemed to fall like a pitter patter of raindrops just out of reach of his long gait as he swerved to and fro through the forest.    

Captain Sassou was the man Tim had been following and teamed up with for the greater part of a seven-month period. During that time Tim has learned very little about his companion. A tall man, he stood a towering six feet five inches and had a physical frame of an athlete. Tim often wondered what sports he might have played in his youth. Sassou spoke boldly and a little strange to Tim. His choice of words reminded Tim of an actor that he saw in a play his parents had taken him to once. He used very “proper Speak” that seemed a bit old fashioned to Tim but it was also somewhat interesting to the boy as well. Sassou had Tim’s respect. Tim felt like this day he would make the Captain respect him and stop treating him like a little kid. 

It was mid-day. The air was moist and thick with humidity. Tim felt the heaviness of the atmosphere as he labored to run through the thick plant life and keep up with the Captain. The heat was intense and he could feel his energy draining with each step. He did not know how much longer he would be able to continue. 

Emfuenko is located near the Equatorial plane and enjoys a climate with a consistent, year-round temperature of seventy-five degrees Fahrenheit and there was the humidity. Eighty-five percent humidity on this particular afternoon. The kind of humid condition that made it very uncomfortable in the shade and caused you to sweat just from breathing. This sweltering humidity coupled with the thick trees and plants, made running for their lives a very difficult task.

Tim was impressed however at the Captain's ability to overcome the intense humidity and thick terrain to draw the attention of most of the villagers' attack while at the same time avoiding contact. Watching him was encouraging. Tim focused on the Captain and then his instincts and adrenalin kicked in and began to take over. At that moment, Tim realized his opportunity had arrived. He was going to step up and get Captain Sassou to see him as an equal and to just a side kick.

“Mr. Johnson, I mean Captain Sassou...I think we should go this way to get back to the vessel,” Tim shouted, pointing in the direction of the ship the two arrived in as the Captain began to veer off course.

Sassou’s present path was leading southwest, deeper into the forest. Sassou managed to start heading west instead of southeast towards their vessel docked on the shores near the Le Congo River as if he had a sudden lapse in judgement. Luckily, Tim or Sir Mentelek as Sassou had dubbed him, had become quite the expert tracker and he was well aware of where the ship was located.

"Ah yes, of course Sir Mentelek. Onward my dear fellow, I will follow your lead." Sassou replied as he corrected his course.

To Tim’s surprise, Captain Sassou slowed his pace to align himself with Tim and began to follow the boy southeast towards the river’s edge. Tim was confident in his sense of direction, and felt he could take the lead. Although he was a short, 13 year-old kid in a place far away from anything familiar, he knew he had to use his skills to help get them back to their ship. As they inched toward the target, the mother of all questions came to Tim’s attention. 

“How in the world will we escape from these villagers once we get to the boat? Tim thought. 

He knew it would take some time to get the vessel up and running and the villagers were quickly approaching.

“Captain” Tim called out, “What is the plan for when we get to the vessel, won’t the soldiers just follow us aboard?” 

“Ah Sir Mentelek, you pose the most interesting questions. No need to fret over such worrisome and trivial items, I have accounted for every detail. Once we make it to the Coriander (the name of the Captain's vessel, named after his favorite spice), our escape will be made manifest and the troubles of this day will be but a sweet memory to reminisce upon over a warm cup of tea,” Sassou stated with a bold exuberance.

Tim heard the Captain say what he said and still was not quite sure why Sassou believed just getting to the Coriander first would be enough to ensure an escape but, at this point it seemed the only viable option. Tim pushed down the anxious feelings that were building up inside and decided to just move on. The two continued to push their way through the dense forest as the soldiers continued to give chase and were slowly making up ground with each passing moment. At this rate, it would only be a matter of time before the two explorers would be overtaken! In fact, no sooner than it would take you to envision this advancing army in your mind as you read these words did the two adventurers find themselves surrounded before they could make it to shore and board their vessel, the Coriander.

Tim frantically eyed the circle of soldiers that had surrounded the two and could feel his heart pounding in his chest. The nervousness was now causing Tim to shake and sweat profusely. He glanced over at Captain Sassou and he seemed cool as a fan without a care in the world. So much so, the Captain began humming. Tim did not have the wherewithal to identify the tune because his attention was suddenly diverted when the leader of the villagers pushed his way through the crowd of soldiers encircling the two. By this time the army had now completely cut off their escape route to the Coriander. 

The leader was a small man, no more than four and a half feet tall with rough, brilliant umber colored skin. His face was dressed with a short, yet curly, white beard sprinkled with black hairs throughout. Tim regarded this man and noticed his movements were bold and powerful. In such a small frame was a protracted confidence that was undeniable. Tim swore the ground shook a little with each step the man took. The man may have been small in stature but his aura and the way he carried himself was larger than life. This man did not smile, mostly scowled. It was very clear to Tim the leader was not pleased by the presence of the two foreigners.

“Though it may appear as if matters have gone array, worry not Sir Mentelek, for I claim dominion over the troublesome tide facing us. I will begin to reason with the head of the adversarial camp,” Captain Sassou whispered reassuringly to his young apprentice who was clearly unnerved by their current predicament.

The leader began to shout in a strange language that Tim had never heard before. It was clear this man garnered great respect amongst his people for when he spoke everyone stopped and silently listened to every word. Sassou appeared amused by what the leader was saying. Up until this point, the leader's words were directed at the soldiers encircling the two outsiders as if he was giving a speech of sorts. Then the leader turned to Sassou and addressed him directly. Sassou responded in what sounded like the same language the leader was using. Tim was surprised, amazed and terrified all at the same time. After a long exchange between Sassou and the leader, the two men began to laugh, and Tim began to feel a sense of relief. 

"Maybe Captain Sassou had really thought of everything this time," thought Tim. 

He was now beginning to smile after listening to the infectious laughter of his mentor and the leader. He began to play out possible scenarios in his mind of what the two men were speaking. He imagined Sassou explaining to the leader how this was just a misunderstanding in the witty yet amusing fashion only the great Captain Sassou could.

 “You really did account for everything Captain didn’t you?” said Tim grinning with a sense of pride as the men continued to laugh.

“Not exactly my dear boy,” replied Sassou while continuing the laugh session, “you see, the leader agreed to give us a quick death because we were able to make it farther than anyone else who has attempted to acquire their sacred Jerboa Stone which is in fact the same treasure we have acquired. This, I'm afraid, was not part of the plan,” Sassou stated, this time not so confident and sure of himself.

Tim began to feel terrified all over again. The anxious feeling from earlier in the escape could no longer be pushed aside and Tim was now in full panic-mode. 

“Stop it Tim, you need to calm your thoughts. The Captain is going need me in order to get back to the ship.” Tim thought to himself.

“Fret not my boy. After all, I am Captain Sassou. I have managed to find a way out of jams far stickier than this one, there is nothing to worry about. We will make it to the Coriander and have time to enjoy a sensible supper.” Sassou stated with a renewed sense of confidence and assurance.

As the soldiers had begun to bound the two explorers and carry them back to their village, deeper in the forest and further away from the Coriander, Tim began to think of ways to escape.

A short time later, they arrived at the village. News of their capture must have reached the village before their arrival because the rest of the tribe began to sing and dance as if to begin some sort of tribal festival. The soldiers carried the captives to the center of the village and placed them on a makeshift stage that the villages created in what seemed like a matter of minutes from several tree branches and thick leaves. By this time, the precious Jerboa Stone had been confiscated and rested safely in the hands of the tribal leader. The leader climbed up on the stage and a hush came over the crowd as he began to address them. Again, he started to speak in the foreign tongue.

“Captain, what is he saying?” Tim whispered to Sassou, assuming he would be able to play translator.

“The evil thieves, <oh, that would be us> have been captured. They gave us a great chase but now will have to answer for their crimes,” Sassou translated.

“Can you ask the leader exactly how we will answer for this crime?” Tim asked his partner.

When the leader finished his speech, Sassou began to speak in the foreign language again and, soon after he started speaking, Sassou and the leader began to laugh again just as before. Tim had a very bad feeling that things were about to take a turn for the worse.

“Well Sir Mentelek, I have good news and bad news,” Sassou said in a solemn voice.

“Give me the bad news first Captain, I can take it” Tim replied attempting to sound brave.

“Well, the bad news is we are to answer for our crimes by being purified by fire. Essentially set on fire my boy,” Sassou said with a grin and a wink, which lead Tim to believe the good news would be something spectacular.

“Well what is the good news Captain?” Tim asked eagerly.

“The good news is, the leader has agreed to poison us first, so we don’t have to endure the excruciating pain from the heat of the fire. Quite humane of him considering...” Sassou responded. 

Sassou’s comment was delivered as if he believed this option was good news. Tim failed to see any good in it though. All Tim could see was the end.

“I can’t believe it, Tim thought to himself, “I am far too young to die! Wait, now I can’t change the decision I made. I chose to join Captain Sassou and this is my fate.”

Just then Tim noticed his bounds seem to be a little loose.

“Being small for my age is finally going to paying off. The guards did a poor job tying me up.” Tim thought.

It was time for action. Tim noticed the soldiers were rather occupied at the moment with preparation for the purification ceremony and they were not looking at the two captives on stage. Tim used this opportunity to work his hands free and untie himself.

 Once free, Tim went over to Sassou and unbound him as well.

“You truly are an amazing travel companion my boy,” Sassou said to Tim.

Tim could hardly believe it, the Captain’s praise made him feel great. He was feeling like they could accomplish anything.

“Now that we are free, I can put my backup plan into action.” Whispered Sassou.

“What is the plan?” Tim asked.

“It’s simple my boy, I’m going to grab the stone and then we run!” stated Sassou bluntly.

“That’s it?” asked Tim.

“That’s it. I find that the simplest plans tend to work the best.” Sassou replied seemingly pleased with his response.

With that, Sassou jumped off stage like a nimble cat into the crowd of villagers and snatched the stone right out of the hands of the leader, who was also very distracted by all of the purification preparation.

“I got it!” yelled Sassou triumphantly.

With that, the two began to run like they had never run before back towards the Coriander. The element of surprise gave Sassou and Mentelek a slight advantage. The leader must have come to the same conclusion as he gave out a yell that even Tim, being unfamiliar with the language, could clearly understand. The villagers were upset and coming for them. Sassou and Tim began to run even faster. This time Sassou took the lead.

“Follow me my boy, it won’t be much longer now,” Sassou stated as he turned his head back to give his apprentice a sly wink.

Tim followed Sassou through the forest as the angry soldiers again gave chase. They were much louder and sounded angrier this time. This time fear was not part of Tim’s mental makeup. He felt empowered and just knew working as team would get them to safety.

“Sir Mentelek, 30 yards from our current position lie a series of elaborate traps that will ensure our escape. You must do exactly as I tell you in order for things to go smoothly,” Sassou said confidently.

Tim was ready to put his complete trust in Sassou to lead them away from the army and to the safety of the Coriander; so much so, it did not occur to question how or when Sassou was able to set the traps of which he spoke. As they approached the specified location, Sassou began to shout out a series of instructions:

“Jump….duck...follow me to the left…...now to the right….now drop on your bottom and follow me!”

The two explorers performed the series of maneuvers, ducking and dodging the booby traps in quite amazing fashion ending with the two falling down to their bottoms, in a seated position, just as they reached the edge of a small embankment and began to slide their way down to the Le Congo River. Meanwhile, their pursuers were met with a series of booby traps consisting of a hidden ten-foot-long by ten foot wide by ten foot deep pit and trap nets, activated by trip wire and pressure release mechanism designed to release a wooden log to swing high from in the trees down on those that applied the pressure, just to name a few. Sure enough, the villagers were no longer a problem for Captain Sassou and Sir Mentelek as they made it to the riverbank and climbed aboard the Coriander. Once the two were safely aboard, they made the proper preparations to begin the journey home.

“Well my boy, we made it and I must say I was impressed by your efforts today. I had no idea you had so much spunk. We’ll need that for our next destination.” Said Sassou.

A short time later, the two began to sail southwesterly towards the Ocarian sea in the direction of their base of operation. As they sailed home Tim felt as if he was a new person and was eager to see what he was capable of doing on the next adventure.


November 01, 2021 18:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Amanda Lieser
22:31 Nov 10, 2021

Hi Tab, I really liked this story because I thought it was a great capture of a classic adventure. I loved how you developed your two characters and included details like the information about climate in your description of the setting. This is a story my husband would have devoured as a boy! You did a great job of establishing a conflict and I certainly was intrigued at the end. Thank you for writing this story and I look forward to your comment on my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.