3 comments

Adventure Historical Fiction Science Fiction

  It was August 23, 1951, I was heading for 1215 Walnut Street. As I trudged through the streets of Philadelphia I thought of how I had received my position at the Electronic Controls Company. I thought about how the Company was founded. I worked at the Electronic Controls Company. The company was founded in 1946 by J. Presper Eckert and John Mauchly, my bosses. With the prospect of receiving some money, the company rented their first offices at 1215 Walnut Street in Philadelphia and began to hire employees. I was one of the first employees. We were inventing a computer design. A design that would succeed or fail. My mind threw discouraging thoughts as I headed to the office. When I arrived an office boy told me I was wanted in the main office. It was not a rare occurrence I was summoned into the office. After all, wasn't I one of the most trusted employees? 

As I entered the office Mr. Eckert and Mr. Mauchly were speaking in hushed tones. When they noticed me they immediately stopped speaking. “Welcome Mr. Perez, we would like to thank you for joining us today. Please wait a moment for Mr. Shinchon to arrive.”  

They returned to their papers and glanced at each other with glances I couldn’t understand. I couldn’t believe I was waiting for Mr. Shinchon. Mr. Shinchon was my rival, the man I hated the most. We were hired about the same time. It may be my suspicious nature, but I have never trusted him. Ever since the first day he has made it his duty to make me look clumsy at everything. At least now, I could make it appear he was late. It made me very satisfied to think I was making him look bad for once. I don’t usually like revenge, but in Mr. Shinchon’s case, revenge was necessary. 

When he arrived Mr. Mauchley spoke again, “Thank you for joining us, gentlemen. As you know, this was the week we were deciding on one of you who will be our partner in this venture. Unfortunately, because of the necessary secrecy of this venture, it is only possible for us to choose one of you.” 

When I heard this I was shocked, were they considering Shinchon for the position too? Wasn’t I the only one qualified? I supposed there would be competition, but I never expected it to be Shinchon. Suddenly, my attention was called back to the conversation.

“We have chosen our partner to be,” this was the moment I waited for. Was it me or Shinchon? “Mr. Perez,” with the last words of Mr. Mauchly, a huge flood of relief swept through me. 

I got up to leave, but then Mr. Eckert spoke up, “As Mr. Mauchly mentioned earlier, this venture is top secret. Because of this, we will be releasing you Mr. Shinchon.” I was surprised at this last statement. This was my lucky day! I was a partner and free of Mr. Shinchon or so I thought. 

My thoughts returned to the office as Mr. Shinchon slammed his fist on the table and yelled, “You’ll be sorry you did this.” With that, he stomped out of the room. After that, I felt an uneasy feeling. I sensed that the others felt uneasy after what Shinchon had done. I hoped that would be the last of him. My worrying was interrupted by Mr. Erckert, “We have received the funding and are ready to go ahead with the building of the Dora.” The office was filled with cheering and tasks were delegated. 

Over the next few months, we worked on the Dora. It was almost completed when the incident occurred. I refer to it as the incident because I am not sure what else to call it. It all started on January 4, 1951, the office was warm and festive because of the arrival of the new year. Little did I know this day would change my life. 

The day started out as usual and I arrived at the office promptly at 8:30 as was my custom. I drank my coffee while waiting for Mr. Eckert and Mr. Mauchly to arrive. When they arrived an office boy I had never seen came and told me that I was wanted downstairs to assist with the unloading of baggage. This was rather strange because we had office boys to do the menial work, but I went downstairs without delay. When I arrived the boy pointed outside and said the bags were around the corner. As I went around the corner I felt something heavy on my head and then all I remember was blackness. When I awoke my head ached and I felt something tightly tied on my wrists. Suddenly, like a flood, I remembered what had happened. I tried frantically to undo the knots, but they were tied tightly. I looked around to see where I was. I couldn’t quite make out the shapes. I saw a shape that looked like a saddle. I could barely make out the other shapes, but eventually, I came to the conclusion that I was in a deserted barn. Then I heard voices, they were coming nearer. Suddenly, the door swung open and I saw an evil grin smiling down at me. My heart filled with dread as I recognized the face. Then I fell into blackness. 

When I returned to consciousness, I was in a house. It was brighter than the barn. Then Shinchon entered, the dread returned as it had when I recognized him in the barn. He grinned and sat beside me. When he began speaking it sounded very pleasant. Well, it was pleasant for Shinchon. 

“Mr. Perez, so nice of you to join us,” sneered Shinchon. I didn’t make any reply to this comment. Seeing I wasn’t going to speak Shinchon continued, “I have been planning this since the day I was released. I have a plan that will wipe out the whole existence of the Electronic Controls Company. I will make computers fail.” 

As he paused, I decided to speak, “My don’t you want computers to succeed? Don’t you realize that computers will make this world better?”

With a bitter sneer, Shinchon replied, “If I don’t get a part in the glory no one will.” With that, he stormed out of the room. 

Later when he returned, he had the most money I had ever seen. Shinchon grinned evilly and brushed the money in my face, “This will all be yours if you help me destroy Electronic Controls Company and build the Dora to claim as my own.” I was shocked at this proposal. He waved the money again, “There are five thousand dollars here.” I thought of all the things I could buy with five thousand dollars. I could live happily for the rest of my life. All I had to do was give Shinchon the plans I worked on so carefully. Shinchon waved the money once more, “Think about it.” That was his last remark as he exited the room. 

My mind started to wonder if I should accept. I mean the purpose of the computer was to benefit the world. Did it really matter who presented it? I fell asleep thinking these thoughts and when I awoke Shinchon was sitting beside me. “Well, well, have you decided to accept my offer?” 

I remained silent. 

“You have until 12:00 to decide, otherwise you may not be in such a pleasant situation. This may influence which one you decide.” Shinchon said with an evil sneer which made me cringe. He exited the room and I once again was turning it over in my mind. I had almost decided to accept when my mind flashed back to the speech Mr. Eckert made when they opened the office. He had begun his speech by saying, “Computers will change our world. It will shape how objects are designed, what information we receive, how and where we work, and who we meet and do business with. And computing will also change our understanding of the world around us and the universe beyond. This venture is not for the gain of human status. We are building these computers for the betterment of the world.” As I remembered the speech I knew I couldn’t help Shinchon. Computers were supposed to benefit the world. I knew I couldn't help Shinchon just to help myself. I started pulling at the knots. Eventually, one of them came loose. I quickly undid the rest. Suddenly, I heard the return of footsteps. I quickly made for a window. I didn’t wait to see what Shinchon would do. I ran for my life. When I heard Shinchon approaching I hid in a cave, but the cave was very small and I became very cramped. As I waited for a chance to escape, I realized that it didn’t matter what happened to me as long as I did what was right. 

Note: Mr. Perez and Mr. Shinchon are fictional characters. The Electronic Controls Company was a real company founded on March 15, 1946, by Pres Eckert and John Mauchly. The Electronic Control Company was the first electronic computer company in the world.

February 25, 2021 20:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Izzie Q.
12:28 Mar 12, 2021

Honestly, this is amazing Amanda! Really great first story and this community is so lucky to have you :) I love your profile pic btw! do you play violin and piano?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Claire Jennings
17:37 Mar 06, 2021

I thought your story was good on the whole, but it felt a little unfinished as it the ending had been rushed. I like the mix of the factual details and the fictional characters

Reply

Amanda Dunbar
05:02 Mar 07, 2021

Thanks for your reply. I finished writing this on the Friday it was due and so I had to finish it quickly. Amanda

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.