Contest #102 winner 🏆

262 comments

Romance Sad Friendship

I saw a tree and thought of you, or rather, thought of the way you see trees. I remembered when we walked through the Ramble in Central Park, a wild place in the center of a place wilder still, resplendent and emerald in the early summer sun. You stopped suddenly when you saw it. I remember how you cocked your head in appreciation, a tendril of hair escaped from behind your ear. You brushed it back with an unconscious hand.

“There it is,” you said, with such earnest excitement that I couldn’t help but feel I was missing something exceptional. I was, as it turns out. 

You stepped over the little metal fence and wandered into the thicket, leaving me to clamber after you, much as I’d always done. You stopped in front of a tree, a tree among many others, seemingly just the same. But it wasn’t, not to you.

“Look at the way the branches duck and curl and reach around those of the other trees,” you said to me. Or maybe it wasn’t to me at all. “The way they’ve grown in such seemingly random chaos in pursuit of the sun.” You patted it approvingly and laughed a little when you saw I was standing behind you. “What do you think?” 

You’d brought me to see your favorite tree in Central Park, the type of thing I’d never even thought to have. You were always collecting favorites, or at least you did then, of strange little things. Your favorite brick on the facade of your old W 83rd street apartment building, the one to the right of the door, covered in lichen. Your favorite letter of the alphabet, g, but only in lowercase, and only in Times New Roman. Your favorite aisle in the local drug store, the one with the greeting cards. 

I looked at your tree, not really sure what I thought, having never thought much of a singular tree before. I made some dumb joke about seeing the forest from the trees. 

You shook your head and said, “I think it should be the other way around.” You were never one for the bigger picture, I never one for the details. You lived in the details, in the small things. You held them close and made them part of you. 

I wonder why that tree was your favorite. I’ve thought about that a lot recently. Did you see yourself in the knotted boughs, in the anarchic nest of twigs and leaves? Maybe you felt that you’d contorted yourself around others, twisting around the shade they cast, growing in strange ways in pursuit of the sun. Which was I, then, the shade or the sun? 

That day was perfect. I didn’t know it at the time, but it was. Your hand in my hand, your laugh in my ears, the air fresh and green and full of promise. I was one of your favorites that day, a piece in your kaleidoscopic collection of things and places and moments. What an honor that was. The shade came for us eventually, the darkness, but not that day. That day, the sun shimmered all around us, chasing off the shadows. 

I don’t remember exactly when the clouds rolled in and stole you from me. Only that they did. ‘Stole’ is the wrong word, I suppose, a selfish word, a cowardly word. I let them take you, didn’t I? I watched as your world grew smaller, when your discarded favorites littered the street and were carried off by the wind. I was afraid. Afraid you’d throw me away like the others, so I left. 

You’re gone now. I’m sitting on a bench, your bench. Or is it mine? I bought the little metal plaque and chose the words for you. “A place to rest, a place to grow, bending always toward the sun.” I made sure to include a g, lower case, the font is Times New Roman. I think you would’ve liked it. I guess the bench is for me, really. The things we do in the name of others when they’re gone are never really for them, are they? 

Strange the pieces we pluck from someone’s life to define it once it's done. And you had so many pieces. I can’t help but think the mosaic I’ve crafted is woefully incomplete. How many favorites did you have that you never thought to say aloud? How many have I just forgotten? What were the shadows you hid that made you a gnarled thing, twisted and contorted. 

I don’t want to think about that, about those dark things that ushered you away, leaving the world empty and barren. You always liked Greek mythology, not in a pretentious way. You read Ovid on the subway. Okay, maybe it was a bit pretentious, but I liked it. You taught me about Persephone and then made me Demeter. Did I get that right? 

I’ve thought only of those dark things for a while, but I’m trying to push them aside. I’m trying to think of that day in the Ramble where we did just that. God, your eyes were so bright, your smile so wide. I got sunburned, but not badly. “It will turn into a tan,” you said, with a dismissive wave of your hand, a gesture that seemed to hold all the wisdom in the world. It’s hard to describe how light I felt in that moment as the sun flirted with the horizon and the grass felt cool between my bare toes. You cupped my reddening face and laughed. You kissed me. I would live in that moment if I could. I’d hold it in my mind and let it grow and grow until it consumed me forever, became my everything. But I can’t.

I should tell you, the tree I saw today is nothing like your favorite. It’s not in the Ramble surrounded by its kind, fighting below the canopy for discarded rays. It stands alone on a brown, frost covered lawn. It’s tall and straight and uncomplicated. It’s branches are bare, reaching mournfully to a blank gray sky. It’s not dead, but dormant, waiting for the sun to chase off the shadows. I guess it’s my favorite tree in Central Park, at least for now. 

I’ve started my own collection, you see. It was hard, at first, for me to notice the details, the small things that make up the big things. I’ve made a practice of it, a ritual. It helps me be close to you, or at least it feels that way. My favorite chair in that coffee shop on Broadway, in the corner where the light filters through the colorful glass bottles on the window sill and you can hear the scream of the milk steamer. My favorite street corner, bathed in the smell of garlic and butter from the Italian restaurant, where the old man plays the violin on his stoop. My favorite subway station, the one where the walls are decorated in colorful mosaics depicting places beautiful and far away. I wish I could show them to you. Maybe you noticed them when you were here.

I’m sorry. I think you know that. I hope you do. I’m sorry I ran away when you retreated. I should’ve gone after you. I thought I had lost you already then, but I didn’t know what lost was, not really. I’m sorry we couldn’t live forever in our park, on that day, in that magic we didn’t notice until it had gone. I notice it now, when it comes. In my favorites and in yours. I hold them close and make them part of me, just as you did.

It’s quiet here, on the bench. It’s getting dark. I think I see the shadowy things that carried you away. I understand, now, why you wanted to escape. I want to go with them too, sometimes. Would they bring me to you? I won’t go with them, at least not yet. I think things will feel better in the spring, when you return to me, like Persephone. Did I get that right? Anyway, I want to see your tree again, as it was that day, shimmering in its sequin foliage, bending and yearning, growing. Yes, I think things will feel better in the spring, as they always do in the sun.

July 14, 2021 02:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

262 comments

Pippin Took
18:49 Jul 23, 2021

I really enjoyed this story. Often my eyes glaze over when I read the winning stories, but not this time. Well done!

Reply

Shane Ransom
19:20 Jul 25, 2021

Thank you Pippin! I'm so glad you found it engaging.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Andrea Magee
17:08 Jul 23, 2021

Very very good story....I felt it as if it were mine.....great job!

Reply

Shane Ransom
19:20 Jul 25, 2021

Thank you, Andrea!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Caroline Jenner
17:00 Jul 23, 2021

Really great story. Loved the small g in Times New Roman and the fact you climbed over a fence to reach the favourite tree which suggests a sense of breaking the rules … just a little bit.

Reply

Shane Ransom
19:20 Jul 25, 2021

Thank you, Caroline!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Turner
16:46 Jul 23, 2021

Captivating Shane! I felt your joy, bewilderment, your pain, and loss. Thank you for sharing.

Reply

Shane Ransom
19:22 Jul 25, 2021

Thank you so much for reading and for leaving such a nice comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:22 Jul 23, 2021

This broke my heart. It's beautiful and sad, and I absolutely loved the parts when the MC talked about favorites. Your vivid imagery was outstanding. Congratulations on your well-deserved win!

Reply

Shane Ransom
19:23 Jul 25, 2021

Wow, thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
A.Dot Ram
16:20 Jul 23, 2021

Wow, beautiful imagery and ideas. Congratulations on the win!

Reply

Shane Ransom
19:26 Jul 25, 2021

Thank you! I loved your story from this week - so charming and wonderfully emotive. Congrats to you as well!

Reply

A.Dot Ram
04:59 Jul 26, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
K A
16:13 Jul 23, 2021

This is a beautiful story! It was so well written and really drew me in from start to finish.

Reply

Shane Ransom
19:27 Jul 25, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Elaine St. Anne
16:02 Jul 23, 2021

A loving and touching tribute. A reminder of the thing we allow to slip away. Missing them only after they are gone. Beautiful language.

Reply

Shane Ransom
19:27 Jul 25, 2021

Thank you, Elaine!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bethany Walker
15:50 Jul 23, 2021

Beautifully done. A well deserved win! You crafted such emotion and description in a short span of words. It flowed well and I felt connected and invested in the character.

Reply

Shane Ransom
19:28 Jul 25, 2021

Thank you so much Bethany! I'm glad you were able to feel a connection to the character.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:55 Jul 23, 2021

Stunning and powerful write. Exceptionally well done.

Reply

Shane Ransom
19:29 Jul 25, 2021

Thank you, Mackenzie!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eve Y
17:29 Jul 22, 2021

This was a really touching and well written story. I love how you were able to incorporate the prompt smoothly and the descriptions you included were great! I really liked your style of writing and hope to read more!

Reply

Shane Ransom
19:30 Jul 25, 2021

Thank you, Eve! Hoping to write more.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sheyenne Daniels
19:26 Apr 22, 2023

congragulations on your story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Megha Vinesh
01:57 Apr 01, 2023

I loved the story. It really touched my heart. It was beautiful with the perfect mix of hope and grief. This story has inspired me to look at the little things in life too, maybe I'll create my own favorites list.

Reply

Show 0 replies
07:51 Feb 14, 2023

Shane can u pls give some tips about writing to newbies like me

Reply

Show 0 replies
Stevie Burges
15:23 Jan 02, 2023

What a wonderful story. It is so poetic. Quite delightful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Emily Robert
23:03 Dec 20, 2022

Greetings to everyone reading this testimony. I was rejected by my husband after three(3) years of marriage just because another woman had a spell on him and he left me and the kids home and moved in with the lady . one day I was reading articles about spell casters , I clicked this youtube link https://youtu.be/kBvs5nQcjWo and read how Dr Jumba helped a woman to get back her lover within 24 hours and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me not to worry he will help me bring back my husband and make him love me forever. I belie...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Emily Robert
23:03 Dec 20, 2022

Greetings to everyone reading this testimony. I was rejected by my husband after three(3) years of marriage just because another woman had a spell on him and he left me and the kids home and moved in with the lady . one day I was reading articles about spell casters , I clicked this youtube link https://youtu.be/kBvs5nQcjWo and read how Dr Jumba helped a woman to get back her lover within 24 hours and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me not to worry he will help me bring back my husband and make him love me forever. I belie...

Reply

Show 0 replies
03:40 Nov 03, 2022

WOW, Absolutely amazing, it felt so real carrying me to the bench to which I am lost now

Reply

Shane Ransom
23:01 Dec 29, 2022

Thanks Aishwarya!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:51 Aug 25, 2022

I LIKE THIS STORY

Reply

Show 0 replies
Akma Ayesha
13:54 Aug 16, 2022

the great story i have read ....

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.