A poor innocent mother

Submitted into Contest #1 in response to: Write a story about a stressed parent planning their child's birthday.... view prompt

0 comments

General

It was a dark and scary night full of people standing outside with alcohol, dangerous for women to go outside. A woman walked by, covering her face with a scarf as she looks around helplessly for anyone in good shape. She sees a rather decent looking man, so she approaches him which at this moment in time everyone is being judgemental thinking she’s looking to find a man. She goes up to him and asks him for any money to spare. A moment of silence hurried around the dangerous streets of Sheffield. He stares at her and then asks the golden question - why? She glares at him with tears rushing down her eyes and with a broken tone of voice she replies with “My daughter’s birthday is today and she is waiting at home for me for a present that is not in my reach. If you even have the littlest change to spare it could change my relationship with my daughter forever”. The man waits and asks her if she could prove herself in any way. She wipes her tears and nods. She then goes on to look around in her pockets for a picture of her daughter, but is baffled that she couldn’t find it. The man angrily glares at her and starts losing his patience. He then nudges her out of the way and a coin falls out of his pocket. The woman looks at the coin and quickly runs to the man walking away very fast. He tells her to stop lying and tells her to go back to her fake daughter. She then slowly walks over to the coin and buys her daughter a hot pizza slice. The man walks a bit and finds a picture and picks it up, it was a picture of a girl with similar features to the woman he just met. He looks back and no one is there. The woman reaches home with her trembling hands and says to her daughter that she would never have broken her promise. The daughter and mother have the happiest look on the face which no one could deny.


August 03, 2019 15:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.