2 comments

Fantasy Horror Mystery

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Chapter one

A piece of paper danced on the wind like a ballerina on the stage. It went down the sidewalk, its movement swaying and flowing narrowly missing pedestrians. One man shooed it away as if it was a bug; however, this only changed its trajectory towards the new cul-de-sac being constructed. A man named Robert Evans is on top of one of the forms pouring concrete down between them from the pump truck; all his concentration on his current task as the sweet musky smell of wet concrete fills his nose. The wind changes, And the piece of paper strikes the man in the face surprising him; then making him lose his footing and fall into the unfinished basement snapping his neck like a twig. The piece of paper is dancing on the wind, the man caused it to change its direction. This time it went down the highway swaying and flowing narrowly missing each car. Until a Forest Green sedan managed to hit the piece of paper. The driver’s name was Sarah Whitman, she was completely caught off guard which caused her to panic and slam on her brakes. This caused the driver behind her to hit her and cause an involuntary pit maneuver into the guard rail, flipping a couple of times and then finally stopping on the right lane. Sarah's foot was caught underneath the dash, her head felt like it had taken a hit from a heavyweight boxer and her face looked like it too. Before she could properly register what had just happened, she heard a noise, and just as she looked out the window to see what it was, she was greeted with the grill of an 18-Wheeler right before it hit her.

Chapter 2

A piece of paper dances on the wind, the car crash on the highway changed its trajectory up an interchange that led to a frontage road to a house where a man named Michael Kurtzman had just come back from his pulmonologist appointment, he gets out of his truck huffing and puffing for breath as if a 40 LB weight was on his chest. He takes a hit with his inhaler and the weight lifts off his chest. He goes inside his house and into his living room only to find that his window has been smashed in. He knows who it is, judging by the baseball laying on his carpet. He clenches his jaw and goes over to his neighbor's house for what he thinks is the millionth time and knocks on the door like a woodpecker wood on a tree. The culprit and culprit’s mother answer the door however before either party could say anything a piece of paper came by and smacked the boy right in the face. The boy struggled to get the piece of paper off his face; his mother had to help. Michael sat there silently at first and then he started laughing. It was dry wheezing laughter followed by a horrid coughing fit every once in a while, like a clarinet with a bad reed. Of course, the mother took offense to this and slammed the door in Michael's face, but Michael started walking back to his house still amused by the situation. He just kept laughing to himself to the point that it became hysterical. He reached for his inhaler, but the wind picked up and the piece of paper knocked it out of his hand. He panicked, still laughing hysterically, and struggling to breathe but he could no longer find it because it had gone down the sewer drain. Michael's face had turned purple; He clutched at his throat as he gave a last dry wheezing laugh and fell to the ground unconscious.

Chapter 3

The piece of paper danced on the wind, it arrived at a golf course were a man named James Barlowe a 16-year-old who had dreams of being the next pro golfer. With his chin up and his chest puffed out like a rooster, he walks to the 1st hole. On the 1st hole he hit the ball into the rough and by the time he got it into the hole his scorecard was 10. On the 2nd hole he spliced the ball into the water hazard immediately and when he lined up to take his second shot; he missed. By the time he got to the 7th hole he was pointing his finger at his caddy claiming that it was his fault that he missed for handing him the wrong club. However, on the 9th hole he landed on the green on his first shot. James smiled, he walked to the green as if he owned the court once again with his chin up and his chest puffed out. As far as the caddy was concerned this was the first time that James had the opportunity for a double eagle. James took his time lining up his shot, he mark, lifted and cleaned his ball. he even took time to measure the wind and the angles and curvature of the hill. When he was ready James didn't say anything, he merely stretched out his hand and his caddy handed him his putter. James stood there for a long moment with his putter. He got into his golfing stance, leaned the putter back and tapped the ball. All of James preparation paid off, the ball was heading straight towards the hole; 10 feet, the ball was still on course; 5 feet, there is no stopping it now; one foot. A piece of paper danced on the breeze, right before the ball went into the hole the piece of paper changed the trajectory of the ball and made it miss the hole. James sat there with his mouth open, and in the next moment, his face began to turn red. He stomped over to his caddy and started throwing all his golf clubs into different directions and when only his putter remained, he just started slamming it into the ground over and over and over again; the 8th time he slammed the Putter into the ground; the Putter snapped in half with so much force that the shaft pierced him in the chest right through his heart killing him instantly. The piece of paper danced on the wind, a skeletal hand reached up and plucked the paper out of the air, the figure with a skeletal hand then proceeded to take a black ball pen and cross off some names. Robert Evans, Sarah Whitman, Michael Kurtzman, and James Barlowe. 

March 08, 2024 03:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Trudy Jas
20:49 Mar 12, 2024

HI, NAF, welcome to Reedsy. Death had a busy day. :-) You have a wicket sense of humor. You don't waste words and move right along. Since your "Main Character" was a piece of paper and not the various victims, character development was not important. My main suggestion is to pay attention that you don't switch back and forth between past and present tense. e.g. he took his time lining up his shot, he mark(ed) the ball, lifted and cleaned the ball. He knocks on the door like a woodpecker wood (would?) on a tree...... However, before eit...

Reply

Show 0 replies
N,A,F .
15:54 Mar 10, 2024

Writers note: this is the first time I've ever published anything. If anyone has any notes on how I can get better at writing, I'd be open to suggestions.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.