Royally Charmed

Submitted into Contest #27 in response to: Write a short story that takes place on a train.... view prompt

0 comments

General

I stare out the glassy train window. It’s like my life is going on without me like I'm not the one controlling my body. The train passes herds of horses, magical meadows, fertile fields, and vast villages. Eventually, the noise of the train clicking over the tracks lulls me to sleep. In my dream, I’m flying and many people try to drag me down, but I don’t let them. I keep flying and then suddenly I’m free! My feet touch the ground in a village and find an old oracle waiting for me at the steps where I landed. He looks at me with a sad smile and says “The future is grim.” In the distance, I hear someone calling my name, with every second it gets louder and louder until I wake up with a gasp! 

“My lady, we have arrived” A tiny woman with big round glasses is looking down at me, she seems to be expecting something.

“Wha-what- where- huh?” I barely manage a stutter before all of my memories come flooding back to me. 

“My lady, it’s time for you to meet your prince” The woman speaks again, this time with a touch of annoyance in her voice.

“Ah yes, my new husband, a stranger! That'll be fun” I mutter this under my breath, thankfully, the woman doesn’t hear me.

“I’m sorry I didn't catch that.” 

“Ah never mind, now there are 20 pence in the side pocket of my purse, be a dear and grab it will you?” 

The woman grabs a bit of money out of the side pocket of my purse and hands it to me.

“Good, what’s your name lady?” I ask the lady as she fumbles with the money.

“Melinda my lady, but everyone calls me Mellie” 

“Well Melinda, it would seem you are my lady in waiting now”

“Yes my lady, it would seem so”

“Oh, please don’t flatter me, call me Aven, that is my name after all!"

“Well Aven, this is our stop”

“Oh yes, and Mellie?”

“Yes?”

“I think we are going to be good friends!” 

Mellie is caught off guard by this, but she catches herself and breaks into a smile.

“Well then, off to meet Prince Alexander I suppose.”

I hop off the train and catch sight of a sign that reads “ Prince Alexander's castle, 42 miles”

“I don’t suppose we are walking all those miles, Mellie?”

“No ma'am, we are going to take a horse and carriage to Alexander’s castle.”

“I have a better idea Mellie, do you know the nearest place to rent a bike?” 

“Well I suppose I can find a bike, but do you know how to ride?

“No time like the present to learn!”

I was soon on my way to the castle and my new life. I quickly got the hang of riding a bike, and it was the best feeling in the world! If I close my eyes, then it feels like I’m flying and away from all my problems! Mellie doesn’t look so good though and we take a break in soft, fluffy, green grass.

“That was the most fun I’ve had in years, Mellie!”

“Yes Miss Aven, but we still have 30 more miles to go, would you mind if we took a carriage now?”

“Yes, Millie, call one immediately please.”

We got on the carriage and the hour ride to the castle was the longest hour in my life! I spent every minute thinking about Prince Alexander. How would he act meeting me? Would he be flirty, sweet, shy, or something else? What was his personality? Was he loud and outgoing or quiet and introverted? Would he welcome me with open arms or be cold and a lone wolf? From the papers I had read, I knew his father was a great king, but he passed away a month ago and now the prince needed a wife to become king. My father had pushed me away at the first chance and basically sold me to this random prince I have never met! Thankfully, I had a picture of Alexander so I knew who to look for when I got to the castle. He had black hair and blue eyes, in the picture he was caught mid-laugh, and he was smiling. He looked sort of tall, but the thing that surprised me was how happy he looked. He looked like the kind of guy who would play with your feelings and get you high and mighty, only to leave you down in the dirt. His eyes though were his most striking appearance. They were bright blue with flecks of green in them. He was smiling so widely that his eyes were pushed up into crescent moons. He was the most beautiful man I’ve ever met in my life, but that didn’t change my feelings one bit. I was still as nervous as I could be and to make it even worse, I was expected to be wed to this man in front of the whole country tomorrow morning, it was nerve-wracking! We finally reached the castle and as I stood in front of the tall wooden gates, I realized with a start, I couldn’t do this! Just when I was about to back out and run away to Finland with Mellie, a big booming voice yelled out. “WHO GOES THERE?!” 

I sheepishly answered, “Princess Aven of the western lands, I’m here to be wed to the prince.”

For a few seconds, there was no answer but then the voice came out a little less booming this time. “Very well, enter through the gate, the password is 7898”

We enter through the gate and see a little old man with the biggest ears I have ever seen in my life. Immediately, you could tell that Mellie was smitten. And then I see him, my prince. Alexander. Alexander was surprisingly nice. He came straight up to me and introduced himself.

“Hi, I assume you must be Aven. If you are anywhere as nervous as me, then I feel sorry for you”

“Well yes, I suppose I am a bit nervous, but you have nothing to do with it” I manage a laugh and a soft smile.

“What do we do in a situation like this? We are just strangers, but we also are engaged. Are we supposed to kiss for the public? Shake hands to be polite? This is my first time being wed you see, and I am quite frightened.” Alexander blushes and awkwardly holds out his hand.

I smirk, it’s nice to know that he’s just as scared as I am. “Why don’t we compromise with a hug? I think that’ll satisfy the public enough and it’s not too physical for us to be awkward.”

He laughs and with a grin asks “Why didn't I think of that? I have a feeling you and I are going to get along quite nicely!”

“Well yes, on one condition of course,” I nervously reply, and with great dread, I fear the next thing I have to say.

“Why what’s that?” Alexander looks a little curious to know what I’m going to say. 

Just to be mischievous, I speak as slowly as I can. “Can my lady in waiting, Melie, stay with me? She’s a good friend and it seems she has taken a liking to your gatekeeper over there.”

I was terrified for his response, who knows what I would do if I couldn’t have Mellie with me?

Luckily, he responds with a smile, “Ah yes! The more the merrier, and it does seem this Mellie you call her is fond of my gatekeeper, Boomer. Of course, she stays! I would have it no other way!”

“Well then Alexander, I think we are going to get along just fine indeed, just fine indeed.” 

And with a smile, me, Mellie, Alexander and Boomer all descend into the castle, ready to start a new story.

February 07, 2020 22:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.