0 comments

Fantasy

The building was brick and perfectly normal, on a perfectly normal street, in the middle of a perfectly normal town. At first glance or even the second, Tempus Institue didn't look like the type of place housing the world’s most renowned technological advancement. Knowing that it was, and having to face the reality of needing to walk through its perfectly normal front door in just a few short moments, had Gina’s stomach in knots. 

“If you keep twirling that strand of hair around your finger you're gonna end up with a bald spot.” 

Gina spun around and smiled, relief written all over her face. “I didn’t realize I was doing it. God, I’m so nervous-”

“Hence the bald spot.” 

“What is this? Is this coffee? Thank you so much. I’ve already had two cups do you think I should drink this-”

“It’s half-caf, you’ll be fine.” Snoh took a sip from her cup, more sugar than coffee, and met her best friend's eye with a calm look. “You look cute.” 

Gina rolled her eyes. “You always say that.” 

“Maybe it’s always true.” 

“Good point. You are very honest.” A pigeon fluttered its wings on the sidewalk. Gina glanced at it and away, back to Snoh. “It’s my favorite thing about you.” 

Another sip, the same calm look. “Your favorite?”

A laugh bubbled up and out of Gina’s mouth and rang loudly on the quiet street. “Well there’s a lot of things on the list, I’m not 100% sure about the lineup.” 

“Mmhmm.” Snoh nodded her chin toward the door. “Are you ready?” 

“I guess I have to be,” Gina said with a sigh. “Do you really think I’m going to get a bald spot?” 

“It’ll be in the back, I’ll hide it.” Snoh tossed her cup away in a nearby can and raised her brow. “We can come back another day.” 

“I’ll be just as nervous any other day.” Gina rolled her shoulders back and took a fortifying gulp of her coffee. “Let's go.” 

They walked in time together up the three concrete steps to the landing, where Snoh held open the door and ushered Gina through with a tick of her jaw that might as well have been a shove for how it stopped Gina from turning on her heel and running for it.

Just inside, the office was quiet and minimally but tastefully decorated. As they made their way across the room, a kind-eyed woman looked up from behind a tall, dark desk. Diamond studs glinted at her ears as tilted her head with a wide smile. 

“Welcome to the Tempus Institue,” The woman said. “My name is Julia. How may I help you today?” 

“Hi there, yes um-” Gina winced at the raised pitch of her voice. Snoh took half a step closer. Gina leaned toward her subconsciously, feeling calmed by her presence. “Yes. I have an appointment for 10 am with the Communication Department.” 

“Oh, wonderful. I can certainly help you with that. May I have your appointment card?” Julia took it with a nod and turned to her computer. “Alright. Everything looks in order. You can follow me. Please leave your coffee here; we have a no food or drink policy past the lobby.”

Julia’s heels clicked loudly on the tile floor as she came around the desk to lead them down a hallway, through a heavily frosted door, to a set of elevators. 

“The Communication Department is on the fifth floor,” Julia explained. She handed Gina a small, golden key. “Insert the key in the fifth slot and it will bring you right up. You have the room for 25 minutes - a chime will sound two minutes before the end of your session. There is a phone on the wall, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, it's a direct line to me.” 

With another bright smile, Julia left them to it. Gina listened to her retreat with a nervous tug of her lip, staring at the gleaming stainless steel doors. 

“You have to push the button,” Snoh said quietly. “I don’t think it’s running on a schedule.”

Gina sucked her teeth. “I know that.” 

“Do you want me to do it?”

“I can push a button,” Gina huffed. Neither of them moved. 

“I’m going to push it-”

“Okay, fine!” 

The doors slid open a few short seconds later and they stepped on, eyeing their surroundings curiously. The walls were a muted gray and soft jazz music played from the speakers. Gina thought it was probably supposed to be relaxing. 

It wasn’t working. 

The keyholes were as Julia described, so Gina pressed the key in and watched as it glowed brightly and then turned with a click. The elevator gave a soft ding and started upwards smoothly. Gina kept her eyes locked firmly on the floor, willing her heart to slow down in her chest. Snoh watched her closely from her position against the wall with her arms crossed casually. On the fifth floor, the key glowed again, and the doors slid open soundlessly. 

The women stepped out and directly into a small rectangular room with a table and two chairs in the middle. On the table sat a stack of white paper, an assortment of pens, and a black box with the word 'missives' written across the top. Again, the walls were gray but no music was being played; the silence felt stark in comparison. Gina immediately started to pace across the plush carpet. 

Snoh pulled out one of the chairs and sat. Her eyes followed Gina’s progress through the room. “Maybe you should have taken a shot or something.” 

Gina wrung her hands. “I don’t want to be inebriated while I’m writing a letter that could change my life.” 

“Technically, if you’re writing this to your past self, wouldn’t the changes have already happened?” 

Gina held up a hand. “Please, don’t try to explain the time travel thing to me again. It gives me a headache.” 

Snoh shrugged and fell silent. Gina made three full rotations around the room before she spoke again. 

“What if I want you to write it?” 

“Me?” Snoh tilted her head. “What do you want me to tell past you?” 

Gina turned toward her and started chewing a fingernail. “No, I mean what if I- like what if I dictate it and you write it?” 

Snoh studied her face for a moment. “Would that make it easier for you?” 

“Yes.”

“Okay.” Snoh leaned forward and pulled a paper towards herself. “But I’m not doing it in pink.” 

Gina snorted and started pacing again. “Okay, so obviously address it to me and I guess give it the regular ‘I hope this letter finds you well.’ I don’t really know how this kind of thing should start.” 

Snoh kept her eyes on the paper but smiled. “I think that's a very polite start. Past you will appreciate it.” 

“Alright, well, I guess I have to explain a little,” Gina said. “Let’s say ‘I know this is probably going to sound crazy, but I’m writing this from the future. I have no idea how any of this works, but I won a chance to do this, and I couldn’t pass it up.” She pulled out a chair and sat, only to immediately get back up again and resume her pacing. The tone of her voice changed slightly as she spoke the letter aloud. “You know how it works in the movies- I can’t tell you anything that will change the future in any way. And honestly, the person I am right now wouldn’t want anything about my life to have been any different. But, I want to ask a favor.” 

The scratch of Snoh’s pen was loud in the quiet room. Gina used it to center herself. Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath. “Please be patient. Be patient with yourself when you lose your temper and ruin a good thing. Be patient with Mom when she loses her temper and ruins an even better thing. Be patient with people who look like friends but don’t have what it takes to be one. But, most of all be patient with your heart.” 

As Gina watched, the pen slowed to a stop on the paper for a beat, then two. She turned and faced the wall with her arms wrapped around her middle. When the sound of the pen resumed, she let out a breath she hadn’t realized she’d been holding. 

“Your heart is going to pick the wrong person a thousand times. It’s going to suck, and I mean really suck. Sometimes you are going to feel like you are living in actual hell. Other times you’re not even going to notice the flames at your feet until it’s too late.” Gina’s voice cracked and she cleared her throat. “But, it’s going to pick the right one time. And that’s the most important time.” 

Turning around, Gina carefully avoided eye contact with Snoh and sat at the table, staring down at her hands. “She’s going to be the strongest person you’ve ever met. And the funniest. And probably the smartest. She’ll make you laugh until you can’t catch your breath and then do it all over again. She’ll understand what you mean before you even say it and she’ll finish your sentences - but in a good way, not the cheesy way. She’ll be your puzzle piece - she’ll be sharp where you’re soft and quiet when you’re loud.” 

Tears welled in Gina’s eyes and she blinked them away quickly. If she cried she’d never get it out and what a waste that would be. “She’s going to be the most beautiful woman you’ve ever seen and you’re going to fall so far into love with her you’ll never find the bottom. She’s going to be your best friend and she’s going make you feel safe in a way you’ve never felt before.” 

Snoh took a shuddering breath but neither woman looked up. “Anything else?” 

Gina bite her lip. “So, be patient. Please. Remember who you are, do no harm but take no shit, and be patient. It will all work out in the end.” 

After a moment, Snoh set the pen aside and met Gina’s eye, sliding the paper across the table. “Sign it.” 

Gina took a bright pink pen out of the cup, smiling at Snoh’s huff of laughter, and signed her name at the bottom. Then, she carefully folded it and placed it in the box. The chime sounded just as they both stood up. Silently they made their way to the elevator door. Gina pressed the button and the doors slid open almost immediately. Inside, the key was gone but they must not have needed it because their trip down started as soon as the doors closed again. 

As they rocked gently with the motion, Snoh reached out and gently took Gina’s hand, tangling their fingers. “So, does it?” 

Gina looked up, confused, and searched Snoh’s face. “Does what?” 

“Does it end well?” 

Gina squeezed her hand. “I’ll let you know when it ends.” 

The doors slid open. 

May 21, 2022 02:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.