Race Against Time

Submitted into Contest #47 in response to: Suitcase in hand, you head to the station.... view prompt

2 comments

Adventure

1910

You pull the silver pocket watch from inside your jacket pocket for what seems the millionth time in twenty minutes. The taxi seems to be moving at an agonizingly slow pace, chugging past tall buildings and shiny windows with inviting displays that are practically begging you to stop and buy something before you leave the city for good.

Biting your lip, you resist the urge to stop the bright yellow taxi; tentatively you ask the driver if he could go any faster, he simply grunts in return and ignores you. Suddenly, the silver pocket watch is back in your hand and you just can't resist; you look again. The train is scheduled to leave in one hour and you fear you might be late.

You silently reason with yourself, that if you got out now and ran, you would arrive at the station with at least twenty minutes to spare. It is imperative that you do not miss this train! You think about the opportunity that is awaiting you in the beautiful wilderness of Alberta, Canada. Everyone you knew doubted you could ever make something of yourself in such an isolated place and you are more determined now than ever to prove them wrong.

Impatient with the slow progress of the taxi, you inform the driver that you will run the rest of the way there. The driver starts to protest until you place the fee on the seat beside him; you leap from the vehicle narrowly missing a passing taxi. With your suitcase in hand, you maneuver your way through the throng of people crowding the sidewalk; a renewed sense of adventure pulses through your veins as you run to the train station.

Up ahead a huge crowd waits for the traffic officer to give the signal to safely cross the street. Panting from your frantic run, you try to slide through the people to make your way to the front of the crowd. Glares from all around you pierce you; however, you don't seem to notice the crowd's annoyance at your determination to get to the front. Your almost there, you can see the traffic officer and that flicker of excitement bursts into a roaring fire of unquenchable thirst for adventure! Just as you are about to reach your desired spot the signal to cross is given and the irritated crowd pushes past you, causing you to fall. Quickly, you jump up and finally after what seems to be a lifetime, you make it across the road just in the nick of time.

You realize the station is still at least fifteen minutes away and the ten minutes you had to use waiting to cross the road causes you to panic! You pull out the silver pocket watch that now seems to mock your slow progress; chuckling, you choose to take this opportunity to race time. Your legs pick up speed as you run faster and faster, your heart pounds in your chest and sweat begins to roll steadily down your forehead.

Nothing can stop you now! Your smile only widens as you dodge the bright yellow taxes as you cross the street. You can barely hear the shouts of concern, because for the second and third time that day you narrowly avoid colliding with the yellow vehicles; the only thing on your mind is handing in your ticket and claiming your seat to a brand new life.

Without warning, a busy business man bumps into you, causing you to lose grip on your suitcase! You jump up and snatch the hard green leather suitcase that is protecting everything you have just before it gets nicked by another hand. As you start to run once again, you shout that you are sorry even though you know you were not the cause of the brief calamity.

At last the sign for the train station comes into view and just as your lungs are starting to beg you to slow down, you sigh a great sigh of relief. You make a sharp turn into the large building and screech to a sudden stop, your eyes desperately search for someone that can direct you to the correct train. Finally, your search is successful and you jog up to the worker and ask for directions; once the worker finishes telling you where to go, you take off running, shouting a quick “Thank you!”. Once you are on the platform, you double check with the ticket office that you are indeed in the right location; you sink gratefully onto the wooden bench. Your legs begin to shake from all the running they had to do; in the distance you can hear the train whistling to announce its arrival and you smile. Tucking the ticket inside your jacket pocket, you make a mental note of where you put it for when the conductor asks you to show him the white ticket.

With the ticket safely tucked away in your pocket you place your green leather suitcase in your lap; you make sure to keep a good grip on it to ensure the contents inside are doubly protected. The train is speeding closer and closer; the thought of being swept away on an adventure makes you feel giddy inside! The puff of white smoke creates a giant cloud inside the brick tunnel, it creates the most wonderful picture of freedom and power.

“All aboard!” shouts the conductor loudly

The conductor repeats the call to board the train three more times, you stand and with a tight grip on your suitcase, you join the line up to get on the great Iron Horse; the old fashioned nickname for the train makes you chuckle gleefully. As you inch your way to the conductor, you pull your ticket from your pocket and prepare to start the journey that will change your life forever.

You show the ticket the white haired conductor and with a deep breath you practically jump onto the stairs and before you know it, you are looking for the perfect seat to travel across the country. You cannot help but smile at each person you pass. The excitement inside you steadily builds, you think of how all your letters home will contain adventure after adventure and hopefully with a bit of luck, you will gain the success that is waiting for you.

Once you are near the back of the train, you find a private booth; you slide the door shut and take your seat by the window, keeping your suitcase right beside you. You gaze out the window as the train prepares to take off; 'This is it!' you think happily, 'This is my golden ticket to a brand new life!'

The train chugs its way forward slowly but surely; tucking the ticket back into your jacket pocket, you take your fedora off and place it on top of your suitcase; the cool air is refreshing. The train is now picking up speed.

On instinct your hand reaches inside your jacket again and gently pulls out the silver pocket watch, you glance at the face of the clock. You are right on time.

June 27, 2020 02:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Sue Winn
21:40 Jul 01, 2020

Hi Randy, I enjoyed your story. Looking at the pocket watch often helped set the mood of the character. For feedback, you did have two typos I noticed right away. 'Your almost there' and 'yellow taxes'. I didn't understand why the person would wait for 3 'all aboard' calls when up to then the person was pushing through crowds. I would have thought he or she would have jumped up at once.

Reply

Randi W
02:24 Jul 02, 2020

Thank you for your feed back! I'm glad you enjoyed it. For clarification =) : the character lined up at the first "all aboard", the reason I put that there were three calls is because the conductor was making sure that those boarding could hear that it was time to go (there could have been passengers in the ladies waiting area and might not have heard the first call). He waited patiently to show his ticket because he had made it to the train on time and was no longer worried about missing the train. Pushing through the crowds was at the be...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.