0 comments

General

Tiff

Hey gurrrl! Haven’t spoken in ages will come see you next time I’m in London. The Time zone’s so different in Kenya. Is it still the same as when we'd run around the streets, terrorizing everybody we crossed paths with? Anyways, how are you? Xx


 Aria

I’m good thx Tiff. Yeah it's pretty much the same as it always was. Nothing ever changes here. Got an unsettling situation for ya that I need your help with. How’s the boyf? Xx


Tiff

He sends his love.What's it about? Boys, jobs tell me! I got the day off work, gimme the tea sis! I wanna know!


Aria

Jeez, okay, okay, so I was in the coffee shop the other day-no today, and I got a hot chocolate and the barista was really cute…


Tiff

Oooh gimme all the deets 😉


Aria

TIFF! really?


Tiff

Sorry, sorry please continue Miss Drama Queen


Aria

Anyway, so, I paid for the drink and there was a green sticky note on it. The barista said it was from this really nerdy looking guy in the corner. He said I can only open it when I’m in my car.

Tiff

Oooh oooh, what did it say? I wanna know! Tell me. Tell me. Pleasssee!


Aria

LET ME FINISH FOR GOODNESS SAKES!! >:¬(


Tiff

SORRY! I'll shut up now x


Aria

You should be... anyways, I got in my car and the nerdy guy came out and got in the car in front of me. I opened the note and it said “Aria, I will always be watching you, love MJ”


Tiff

Oh My Gosh?! What the frack?! What did you do?


Aria

I pretended like I didn’t read the note and went home. End of story.


Tiff

Are. You. Serious?! Anti-climax much!


Aria

I’m joking! Jeez. I went to the shop and the nerdy guy followed me in


Tiff

SOOO…


Aria

I went to get the cookies I forgot to get earlier, the ones in the end aisle, the good ones?


Tiff

I LOVE THOSE ONES!!


Aria

I know, I’ll send you some. Anyways, he followed me to the aisle. I turned around to look at him and he pulled his phone out with a really big, strange smile. He asked for my number and I just walked away from him really quickly. He sped up and tapped me on the shoulder and told me he knew where I lived. He said that he would find me wherever I was and would do whatever he could to keep tabs on me.


Tiff

OMG! What did you do?!


Aria

I told him he was mad and to get away from me. I went home and he didn’t follow me. When I got home though, I kept hearing really weird sounds…


Tiff

Like what? Ghosts?


Aria

Yeah but not like ‘ghosts’, just ghosts as in noises from the window panes and creaking doors and stuff.


Tiff

Ok?


Aria

Anyways, I went to the shed and there was this odd-looking… I think it was a Pidgeon in front of the shed door. It had, like, a tag on its foot. I took the little bit of paper out of the case and on one side it said everything about the Pidgeon. It was a carrier Pidgeon called TJ. It had an ‘If lost please return to’ but the address was scratched out.


Tiff

What about the other side of the tag?


Aria

On the other side, it said: “I sent this message to your neighbor at 27, but shot it so it would reach you- MJ”. I didn’t even go into the shed I just ran back inside and locked all of the doors and windows I could find. I went to my room and shut the door and curtains and blackout blinds and put some random Spanish news channel on.


Tiff

What about nerd guy? Why Spanish?


Aria

I’m ignoring the latter question. I got a text from an unknown number that said, “Why are you watching that, you can’t speak Spanish?” and I got really freaked out because I didn’t give it to that random guy from the coffee shop. I asked them who it was, and all they said was “It’s me, MJ. Don’t you remember me? I killed a bird for you.” What do I do? HELP!


Tiff

OKAY, OKAY RELAX! Do you know how he got your number?


Aria

I might ask him but he’s SOOO creepy I don’t want to!


Tiff

ARIA! PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF COOKIES JUST ASK HIM!

You can always block the number when you know xx


Aria

Okay, I’ve asked him…

He said “I have my sources”

I blocked him.


Tiff

See? Wasn’t that difficult, was it now?


Aria

You always know what to do, Tiff xx

OMG TIFF!


Tiff

What now?


Aria

I got another text. It’s from a different unknown number.


Tiff

What does it say, then?


Aria

It says “Why did you block me. I’m not that scary, I’m not the only one following your every move - MJ”


Tiff

That is SO creepy!


Aria

Not. Helpful.

And what does he mean “I’m not the only one?”


Tiff

You weren’t THIS popular in high school! Wow!


Aria

STILL not helpful, Tiff. Do you reckon if I block it again, he will come back?


Tiff

How on earth would I know? Why don’t you just ask him what he wants?! It can’t be that bad, can it? Xx


Aria

Oh yeah, what a GREAT idea!! Why don’t I just invite him over for tea, too?


Tiff

Hun, MJ’s probably already had tea in your house, you just don’t know it.


Aria

OH… so we’re on a first-name basis with this ‘MJ’ now, are we?


Tiff

Right, gurl, your overreacting big time! It’s going to be okay, just relax! I want you to ask him what he wants, but don’t say anything back. Got it?


Aria

Got it. Back in a sec xx

Oh no

He said he “just wants to keep me safe”


Tiff

Well, maybe he does…


Aria

So, you’re on HIS side now!?


Tiff

What? No! I don’t know what you’re on about! I wouldn’t do that to you! You know me! You know I wouldn't do that! You're delusional, A. Absolutely crazy! It's no wonder your boyfriend left you. Couldn't put up with you anymore, could he?


Aria

I don’t believe you!

TIFF

TIFF

WHERE DID YOU GO????!!!!

TIFF


Tiff

Hello there, Aria. It’s MJ. I’m glad to know you made contact with ‘Tiff’ at last. When was the last time you visited her? Once. You traveled to see her once since she moved ten years ago. You might know what was going on if you kept in touch with your friends. But for now, Aria

Love, MJ

March 23, 2020 20:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.