THE HAUNTED HOUSE

Written in response to: Set your story in a haunted house.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Contemporary

Reed wasn’t a big city when the British had ruled India. It had its few rich citizens and among them was Fred. Not that he had created the wealth. It was the foresight of his father who had run several industries profitably. And he had built the mansion LAKE VIEW set within a compound with garden all around. It was built mostly of wood and lime mortar with many ornately carved wooden pillars. Fred had inherited this building where he lived with his wife Sarah. It was said Sarah had died of consumption while Fred who had gone to Ceylon had never returned.

Over the years LAKE VIEW came under the ownership of some of Fred’s successors but none dared occupy it as it was said to be haunted. One of those who didn’t believe in haunting was police Inspector Smith who was from Wales. When he heard that the mansion was on offer at an absurdly low rent he jumped at it and lived in it six months. His experience: “A man wailing in the night at times. Banging of window shutters though stoppered. Noises sometimes of some heavy metallic object being dropped to hard ground. I kept my gun ready but was truly scared as I didn’t know as to what caused disturbance in the nights. I had a mounted picture of our Virgin hanging on the wall. It had an attached candle stand where I would light a candle on occasion. One night it fell. When I picked it up I found that the string from which it had been slung on the wall was intact. It had obviously been pushed off the nail from which it was hung. I decided it was time to move out. Our cook had also some curious experiences: Early one morning she ran to me from the kitchen thinking I had shouted for help. Once she said she was about to stoke the oven when a huge flame erupted burning her fingers. She needed medical attention. Another time she was about to lift a heavy vessel by its handle when it was drawn out of her fingers and it fell noisily to the ground and was badly dented. She said she was lucky it hadn’t fallen on her feet where it could have caused a lot of injuries. I realized a fire arm was no good to deal with para-normal happenings. Cognoscenti told me that haunting always occurred where a crime such as murder had been committed or where victims lay buried. I’ve made a detailed note of the happenings and timings hoping to someday write about my days on duty in India.” LAKE VIEW remained unoccupied for years.

Then all on a sudden a ship of a nation hostile to Britain crept in and after bombing Reed sailed away. No loss of life was reported in the incident but as LAKE VIEW was in the line of fire it suffered serious damage. Cleaning up operations were conducted when a small brass pouch was found on top of a ledge over a wooden pillar. It was opened when this document was found: It was an undated letter from Fred addressed to ‘anyone who wanted to know the truth’.

 The contents were as follows: My wife Sarah and I were living in LAKE VIEW when my wife became consumptive. She coughed a lot. She needed assistance for household work and chose a middle aged woman whom we called ‘granny’ to help run the house.  Granny had her niece Lily living with her and they both moved into a wing of LAKE VIEW.

We didn’t know Granny was a witch who could cast spells and curses. She told us she had been a midwife and had helped many women needing her assistance. We weren’t aware that she was venomous and had many bad characters as friends or associates. Her concealed objective which I ultimately learned was to get hold of my property.

Sarah, despite her consumption was keeping a watchful eye on Lily. She would say “That girl js very attractive but she will ruin any man she is involved with as she is extravagant in spending on herself.”

One night I was seated alone reading a book. Sarah had retired for the day. Lily rushed to me and said that she had just discovered there were indications that a burglar had been inside our premises. She had appeared with just a cloth hiding her body: She had been undressing for the night and had come as she was due to fear the burglar may be lying hidden somewhere within.

She whispered “My jewels are there on a ledge. I don’t know if he has stolen them. I’ve to check.”

I followed her in and brought her a small ladder which she climbed urgently. While doing so even the cloth with which she had covered herself dropped off leaving her nude. I picked it up and had her covered up. She now became a temptress and soon had me in bed with her. Sarah who had come looking for me saw what had happened and started abusing Lily. Granny who had gone out returned and wanted to know what had happened.

Sarah said “See the condition of the two in bed and you’ll know what had happened.”

Lily said “Granny now that I’m no longer a virgin no one will marry me. Fred has to take me as his second wife.”

Granny said “Lily, I whole heartedly agree with you.”

Sarah said “Fred won’t marry you. He is going away to Ceylon to be with my people.”

Sarah was forgiving towards me. I told Sarah that I knew from my proceedings with Lily that she was indeed an adept at love making and that her virginity loss wasn’t due to me.

A couple of months later, Lily announced she was pregnant.

Sarah started hastening my departure to Ceylon. Granny threatened me saying “You’re running away after ruining Lily. I’ll get LAKE VIEW haunted so that none can live in it nor can it be sold. I’ll do whatever is necessary for it. I’m determined and when I say whatever I mean it.”

Sarah is very sick and is nearing her end. I’m unsure about going to Ceylon.

I know things are moving to a head and have recorded whatever had happened. I’ve left this document in a safe place so that the truth will be known. FRED.

LAKE VIEW was recently offered for sale by its current owner and a shipping company bought it. The crumbling superstructure was demolished and a 3 storied building was planned on the site. When the ground was dug up to lay the foundation for the new building a severed human head was found. Probably Fred hadn’t gone to Ceylon. Perhaps he had been killed and his severed head had been buried within the premises for ghost infestation. Granny’s spells might have added force to the haunting!

END

September 10, 2023 04:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.