2 comments

High School

                             CHEATER’S DOESN’T WIN.

Jamie Scot was a young boy, he was born into the family of Mr. and Mrs. Scot Anderson, his parent were very poor living in a ghetto area was unbearable for Jamie. Jamie was so intelligent and hard working, he does his assignment without the help of his parent because they were illiterate, he performed well enough in all his subject in the school and his excellent performance made him the king among his mates.

 Jamie attends a very cheap school along the street, the school lacks excellent teachers, teaching aids and good learning environment, despite all this factors that would have stopped Jamie from performing better in his academic pursue, they served as a motivation for him, his major aim is to do well in all his academic pursue to enable him win a scholarship to study aboard and to come back and renovate the school where he graduated from and make all other less privilege kids to study and make them to become a better person in the future.

 As Jamie continues to work hard and study hard, he does play also with friends and other kids from the vicinity.

 one day Jamie was on his way back home from school, while he was coming back home it was already late in the evening, he came across some other kids riding bicycles they were good also but Jamie doesn’t know how to ride a bicycle, so he was so interested in riding but does not know how to ride so he walk up to a boy whose name is carl, carl owns his own bike, so Jamie made friend with Carl, Carl is from a very wealthy family his mum is a doctor and his dad is an attorney, they were living well, so that day Jamie was unable to ride Carl’s bike because they were both late, they greeted each other and they left.

 The following day after school Jamie ran to the point where he meet Carl yesterday, but unfortunately Carl and his friends where not their, he wanted for long but he didn’t see them, so that day the went home not very happy, the following day as at the same time Jamie ran to the venue where he saw them three days ago, he was lucky they were their, he dropped his school bag and ran to where they where riding bike, immediately Carl saw him, he shouted his name Jamie, Jamie. Jamie ran toward him, immediately Carl get down from the bike and help Jamie climb up the bike. he was so scared that he couldn’t ride the bike, but Carl helped him and teached him till he was able to ride himself, the scene continue for two to three days, they became best of friend. 

One Saturday Carl invited Jamie to come to his house and have fun and to introduce him to his parent, Jamie was so happy because Carl lives in a very expensive estate, Jamie has never been to that estate before but he has hard a lot about the estate, having Carl as a friend was one of his .major reason for laughing, each time he visit Carl, they eat, play and do their assignment together, Carl was not that intelligent as Jamie, so Jamie will always help Carl with his assignment, and he always pass more than when his parent do the assignment for him, so his parent were very happy for Carl having such and intelligent friend, they made their home also available for Jamie, making life easy for him, treating him like their own child. This continues for so long that Jamie’s parent were forced to meet Carl’s parent, Carl’s parent really complemented their efforts for bring up an intelligent and hard-working son, they became family friend that Jamie some time past the night in Carl’s house during weekends. 

On day during the weekend days , they were watching one of their favorite TV channels while their was an advert for the public to participate in a writing contest and the winner will get a scholarship to study in any University of his choice In the whole world, Jamie was so interested, and his current age fell into the required category, so he picked the interests and started to write, his topic was my intentions, he started to set out his points, and begins to develop his points, as he continues to write, his intentions was to study abroad and bring civilization to his people , giving them the ability to think above their limits, as he began to write Carl’s dad’s picked up interest in reading Jamie’s book, an he noticed that he was good, in the story line, so he asked Jamie to call him if he needs his help. 

 So one Mr. Simon Carl’s father was invited by his boss to his house, when he got to his boss house Mr. Steve, he said his son has an assignment that has to be tackled by an adult, his son’s name was Steve Peter, he attend one of the most expensive school in the city but he knows nothing, Mr. Simon Carl’s father’s duty is to help Peter write a story that will enable him will the contest, so Simon could not resist the offer so he took the offer and started writing. The topic me Simon wrote about was my ambition, so he started to develop his point for Peter, meanwhile there were a lot of other kids that were writing also.

 Jamie was writing a lot everyday analyzing his points, making the lay man to understand every point he is giving, he fully understand all he wrote.

One weekend Jamie went to Carl’s house to continue his writing while Mr. Simon was writing also unbehalf of Peter, during writing he received a phone call from his boss Mr. Steve , he said he has spoken with the contest organizers , that he should write in a very comprehensive writings, the writing should contain high use of English i.e. the world should be very classical, that the organizer want to know how good the kids are in the use of English language, so having gotten this information he went extra mile to include some words that need a dictionary in other to get the meaning thinking with all this he was going to win, meanwhile Jamie was just using his little understanding in English language to write his story.

Out of the love Mr. Simon has for Jamie he gave Jamie the clue on how to write the story, he even went far to ask Jamie to quite writing his story, i.e. to change the story line, Jamie within him he disagreed but in other not to be rude he agreed, so Mr. Simon help him also to write a very comprehensive story, that is very understandable, after two to three weeks he finished writing the two story an he gave Jamie his own and have his boss the story for Peter.

            PART 2 : YOU CAN’T DEFEND CHEATED WORKS

 Mr. Simon went on an get another lesson teacher for Peter to help him understand every bit of the story, while Mr. Simon also teach Jamie on what to do, but Jamie was not still please with the story Simon gave him, so when he got home that day he went back to his story and continue to write his story, it took him two more weeks to finish his write up, right now Jamie has two different story entirely. Finally the day for them to summit their work has finally arrived, Jamie was still reluctant in Summiting his story, mean while Peter has already submitted, and other too, initially they thought once they summit that the winner will be announced without been called upon to defend his or her write up, while Peter went to summit his work he was called to defend his work, he tried and he was able to defend his work that nobody could even doubt him not the real writer of the book, but his point were not well developed, his point were not clearly stated, but he received a lot of applauds, his father thought he was going to win, one of the judge was Mr. Simon college in his working place, when he got to work the following morning the name of the judge was Mike Douglas, Mr. Mike never knew Simon has a kid going for the same contest so he started narrating the program and what Peter wrote, he gave Simon the full details they wanted to hear that would have given the contester a full make, that would have made the contester to win the contest, having getting the full information he quickly drove home at the close of work and ask Carl to take him to Jamie’s house since he hasn’t summit his own write up, so immediately they got to Jamie’s house , they hurriedly typed the story for Jamie to go and summit it, the new story Simon gave Jamie would have given Jamie the full make if he can defend it, so immediately Jamie took the story and started reading it, he noticed that the words that was been used in the story is easily comprehensive and easy to understand and explain, along side he also carried his initial story along, he knew if he should summit the story Mr. Simon gave him he is going to win the contest automatically, but he remember that during his Sunday school his aunty usually teach him never to engaged in cheating that it a bad habit, while thinking about what to summit, he made up his mind to summit his work even though if he didn’t win the contest he will agree that he use his own knowledge.

 The following morning he went and summit the story he wrote 'my intentions' after summiting the story he was called to come and defend his work, so he went and defend it perfectly, he did marvelously great that the judges stood up to even clap for him, because every thing he wrote was from his head, he knew the everything he wrote perfectly, the judges also knew that he wrote the story himself, he was chosen alongside some other contesters also, they were to go on publicly to defend their work and the crowd would vote the winner of the contest.

 When Mr. Simon got to the office the following morning he asked Mike what was going on pertaining to the kids contesting, Mike said their was a very young boy that did marvelously well yesterday , his name is Jamie, what he did was so awesome, Mr. Simon. Thought Jamie summited the story he gave him, not knowing he summited his own, he was so happy, when he got home he asked Carl to call Jamie and inform him that he has done something great and awesome, he advised him to still go back and study hard in other for him to be able to defend his work, Jamie and Carl left, Jamie didn’t even bother to study he went on and play throughout that day, he got home very tired, he just slept off, he didn’t wake up the 10 in the morning, his friend was already in the auditorium waiting for Jamie while Jamie was still at home bathing, an struggling to meet up, Carl left the auditorium and came to Jamie house he realize Jamie was still eating, so he rushed him and he finished up and they went, his mum bid him good luck, and they left.

He got to the auditorium late he was supposed to be the first to defend his work but because he got their late, others have started already, they were five in number contesting, automatically Jamie became the last to defend,.

 The first person started he lasted for 15 minutes and he has exhausted his point, the audience clapped for him.

The second also.

The third also they clapped for him very well and he defended his story perfectly, and he spent 30 minutes he went back to his seat.

The fourth contester is a girl she came up to the stage as she started to state her points he gained the attention of the audience, they where all clapping for her shouting she is the winner, she lasted for 30 minutes and she went to her seat.

Jamie was called upon to come to the stage after the excellent clap the last contester received Jamie was discouraged, in contesting thinking he can never win, but Carl was among the audience clapping for Jamie so Jamie summoned courage and went to the podium and he started, as he started the whole auditorium was so silent that everyone was so interested in his story even the contesters also were interested in his story, he stated his point clearly and perfectly at his conclusion every one started clapping for him, even the judges and the contesters were also clapping for him, he get down from the podium and went back to his sit.

 They started to vote, 75% of the audience voted Jamie.

Jamie won the contest, and was send to study medicine In London and his dreams was actualized.

November 03, 2020 19:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Megan Faith
16:25 Nov 12, 2020

Very simple short story plot, I like it! I was happy for Jamie and happy that he won. In terms of notes, I would say proofread! Editing will go a long way! Remember to put commas in your sentences so they won't run on. And try to remove redundancies. For example, in the beginning, ".....very poor living in a ghetto area-" You can just say "very poor, living in the ghetto," and cut out "area". It can be read as a little redundant. Other than that, good job!

Reply

Adi Peter
08:26 Nov 13, 2020

Thanks a lot for the correction. I will take Nate of the mistakes.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.