I'm Just Here For The Food

Submitted into Contest #104 in response to: Start your story with a character saying, “Are you coming tonight?”... view prompt

3 comments

Fiction Friendship Funny

“Are you coming tonight?” Jay asked, sheathing his electric dagger. He stepped over my target’s decimated robotic body. It looked like a human at first glance, but the illusion was easily shattered by the sight of the target’s eyes. Void of pupils, unblinking, and blood red. One look from those eyes made anyone want to turn and run the other way. I wished I had red eyes.

“Hmm?” I shook myself from my thoughts and met Jay’s inquiring gaze. “Coming to what?”

Jay laughed. “It amazes me how you can know the exact time, down to the second, that your target will walk past the town square, and yet you so easily forget anything on your own schedule.”

I shrugged, checking my satchel to make sure I had properly stored the singular strand of hair I had retrieved from my target’s body. “You can’t narrow my brain processes down to a science, Jay. My mind is too complex. You can’t relate though, so I suppose explaining would be futile.”

Jay blinked. “Did you just insult me?”

I smirked. “Worked that out on your own, did you?”

“Don’t try to change the subject,” Jay huffed. “The gala tonight. You didn’t really forget about it, did you?”

I groaned inwardly. The gala. I hadn’t exactly forgotten about it. More like I had willingly blocked all thoughts of it from my mind. 

“Nah,” I said. “I’m not going. I have… pressing matters.”

Jay raised an eyebrow. “Oh? And what would those matters be?”

“None of your business.”

“That’s what I thought. Just come, little bird.”

I sneered at the infuriating nickname Jay often used. “Don’t call me that, unless you want a broken nose for the gala tonight. My name is Robin.”

“Please, Robin?” Jay shot me what he probably thought was a charming smile. “You can come with me. It’ll be fun.”

“Define fun,” I snapped. “Because unless you mean a cruel and merciless torture, I’m gonna have to disagree with you there.”

Jay scoffed and shook his head. “Unbelievable. Why do you hate parties so much?”

“There’s people at parties,” I said. “Ew.”

“I’m a person.”

“Yeah, case in point.”

Jay had the audacity to look hurt. “Sheesh, little miss attitude. What do you like to do then?”

I gestured to the target. "This. And yes, maybe it's weird that my favorite pastime is hunting down robots. I couldn't care less."

"That's not weird," Jay insisted. "You're training to save lives. It's quite an admirable hobby."

"Don't sugarcoat things," I grumped. "I just said I don't like people. We both know my motive is not to be a hero."

"An unintentional hero is better than an glory-seeking one."

I cocked my head and smiled. “You try too hard, Jay. I’m a hopeless cause. Just befriend someone else, added points if they don’t have sociopathic tendencies.”

"Hmm," Jay tapped his chin, pretending to be deep in thought. "No. I don't think I will. But hey, I'll compromise. Come to the gala with me tonight, and if I can't get you to have fun, you'll win and I'll befriend someone else. Deal?"

I sighed and looked down at my target, it’s limbs strewn limply across the damp cobblestone. Oh, what I would give to have red demonic eyes to repel friendly fools. “You’re so stubborn.”

Jay chuckled. “You must be rubbing off on me. You don’t have to be at the gala the whole time, just stay for the feast.”

Ah yes, food. The gala’s feast was supposedly composed of delicacies straight from the heavens. I had to admit, that wasn’t something I wanted to miss.

“Alright, you win.” I punched Jay’s arm halfheartedly. “I’ll go. For the food.”

Jay grinned and tousled my hair. “For the food. See you tonight.”

***

Hours later, as the sun dipped below the horizon, I sat in a corner of the massive auditorium, repeatedly asking myself what had possessed me to come here of my my own free will.

I was wearing my usual outfit, black combat clothes with an assortment of hidden weapons. Such attire was common here, but tonight I stuck out like a sore thumb. Everyone else was decked out in sparkles and frills and other ridiculous things. Not only was this ridiculous, it was dangerous. If anyone hostile decided to crash the party, most of the crowd would be rendered unable to defend themselves, simply by the state of their appearance.

Jay was no more sensible then anyone else. He wore a beige suit that, granted, complimented his warm brown skin and altogether made him look rather dazzling. But the rings that glinted on the fingers, as well as the glittering black kohl he had lined his eyes with, were a bit excessive. He had done nothing more than turn himself into another ornament to society. Pathetic.

I watched Jay weave through the crowds, easily starting up conversations and laughing with complete strangers. I almost envied him, but I couldn't bring myself to believe that I'd want to talk to people, even if I could. Occasionally Jay would meet my eyes and beckon for me to join him in his frivolous socializing. Each time I responded with a firm shake of the head, and a look that clearly said, "not a chance."

Much to my dismay, the feast was to take place later on in the night. So all I had to do was wait.

My thoughts were interrupted when I noticed a familiar face heading my way. Elizabeth Finch, my lifelong nemesis. Or at least, that was what I called her. In truth, she was my best, and only friend. However, she also referred to me as her enemy. We insulted each other incessantly, never met up unless it was unintentional, and absolutely refused to admit that we relied on each other for anything. It was friendship at it's finest.

I grinned and stood to meet her. "Fancy meeting you here. What on earth are you doing at a social event?"

"Stalking you, naturally." Finch flipped her silky black locks and smirked. "Need a quick getaway? Nobody wants you here, including you."

"I wish I could leave," I said. "I'm waiting on the food."

Finch leaned closer and lowered her voice, a devilish gleam in her eye. "I already ransacked the kitchen. Care to join me on the roof for a picnic?"

My jaw dropped, and for a moment I almost forgot to be mean. "Yes, please! I mean, if you insist."

"I do," Finch laughed. "Come on."

"There won't be any people on the roof, right?"

"Only us."

I waved goodbye to Jay across the auditorium, then savored his confused expression as I followed Finch to the elevator. We rode to the top floor, then took the fire exit onto the roof.

Stars glittered in the night sky with far more brilliance than all the jewels of the crowds down below. I felt myself relax for the first time all night, and I let out a sigh of relief.

"Thanks, Finch," I said as we sat side by side on the ledge of the roof, overlooking the empty town.

Finch handed me a delicious smelling pastry. "Now, now, don't get all sentimental on me. Let's eat."

I complied, and we feasted together in silence.

July 23, 2021 19:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

MJ Cummings
03:22 Aug 01, 2021

I was very intrigued by the world you have created in this one. Is this part of a book? I wanted to know so much more. You're writing itself was nicely laid out. Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Donna Mork Reed
20:15 Jul 30, 2021

Great descriptions. Nice job on the writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
R.L. Wood
13:33 Jul 30, 2021

I really wanted this to continue!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.