The Queen and the Assassin

Written in response to: Write a love story without using the word “love.”... view prompt

2 comments

Fantasy Gay Romance

Asi waltzed into the courtyard looking as smug as the cat that ate the canary, or five. As she strolled to where Queen Lila was enjoying the last of the afternoon sun, a dark bottle swung by its neck from her hand. The guards continued to train, their visits having lost the shine a good while ago. Asi stood at Lila’s feet, letting her shadow block the sun until Lila opened her eyes in annoyance (which didn’t last long). 

“I,” she announced, “have a wonderful surprise for you.” Lila’s eyes fell to the bottle.

“Beer?”

“Not only beer, but the best kind from the dirtiest tavern in town.”

Lila wrinkled her nose. “You know I could’ve ordered the finest selection of alcohol we want. You didn’t have to go and get it.”

“Pft, finest wines. That’s boring. This is really a trip. Garter’s Pub is the most visited pub ever. Ask any of these fine gentlemen and they’ll tell you stories of getting completely wasted and having the best time with their mates. Unless, of course, they were taken as children.” The thought sobered her, but only for a moment. “Either way, this is the best. Hands down.”

Lila sat up, the sun’s warmth a faint memory in her mind. “Alright. I’ll try this Garter’s beer. Gimmie.”

“Ah, ah, ah. First, you have to earn it. Hey! Listen up!” Everybody in the courtyard turned to her. “What I have here is a bottle of Garter’s finest alcohol. And any one of you fancy lads have a chance at winning some.” She walked around in an aimless circuit, holding the bottle out so everybody could see the label. Lila saw the moment the soldiers realized what it was; grins grew on faces and friends nudged each other, leaving formation to gather in their groups. “Each of you will have to spar…the queen!” Asi swept her other arm in Lila’s direction. Suddenly the soldiers didn’t look so excited. They muttered and cast nervous glances. “First blood wins!” When nobody stepped forward, Asi groaned. “Come on! It’s only treason if you kill her. Plus, you wouldn’t hesitate to fight the king if he asked. She’s trained, don’t worry.” One nervous boy was pushed forward by his friends and Asi waved to him vehemently. Reluctantly he shuffled closer. A practice sword was sheathed at his waist and she grabbed it, tossed it to the side. She handed him a real one and gave Lila her own sword. 

Lila tested it, already getting used to the familiar weight. The soldiers fanned out in a circle and the boy and Lila faced each other. He lunged and Lila feigned and cut into his calf. The boy was too inexperienced to be much of a match. The guys whooped and one of them took him back inside. Bolstered by the fact that their queen wasn’t going to faint at the sight of blood, another person stepped up. And another. Asi cackled and taunted their unwillingness to try, making each fight progressively harder. Finally one of them drew blood. The lieutenant’s eyes widened and he was about to launch into apologies until Lila clapped him on the back and congratulated him. 

“Let’s get him his prize, eh?”

Asi handed him the bottle and he shouted, “Shots for everyone!” to an already cheering crowd. Asi grabbed a cup and led Lila away from all the ruckus. Lila gave back her sword and Asi gave her the cup.

“Try it.”

Lila drank it and coughed, eyes watering. 

Heavens, what is this?”

“The best poison you can buy. Non-lethal, of course.” She did a spin, turning her face up to the weak light of the sky. 

Lila chuckled. ”Who’s responsible for your good mood?” A slight emphasis on your.

“One of those will do that to you.” She tipped her head to the crowd and the now empty bottle. “That, and the fact that today is a special day.” Lila raised her eyebrows. “It’s our anniversary! Two months and a year before that we liberated this kingdom from its king, took his crown and dropped it on your head. One year ago from today, we got married. Thus, today is for celebrating.”

Their walk had taken them to one of the gardens, where different flowers perfumed the air and graced the green of the leaves. There was still much to change, things to revolutionize, and with Asi at her side, she could do anything.

Lila stumbled into Asi’s arms.

“You okay?” Asi looked down, concerned. 

Lila looked up into her face. Beamed.

“Just perfect, my sweet.”


RAMBLINGS: This is a sort of love story between a queen and an assassin. These two have existed for a long time, since my childhood. Sometimes I wonder if I was okay. An abusive husband, framed murders, lots of threatening and bribery. Where in the world did I get these ideas? Who knows? I certainly don’t. I still need two-hundred more words and reading two-hundred words more of my rambling might cause somebody to go insane. More about these two? Lila was a princess chosen to bear the king's child in secret, as his official wife was infertile. After her death, the king married Lila and she had to deal with his constant fits of anger at the world and at her. It didn't help that he just couldn't conceive a child. In her desperation to one day escape him, she turns to the King's Champion and begs her to be her teacher. At first, Asi refuses. She has enough on her hands, being a female assassin in a medieval world. The king still had her on a trial run and she can't afford distractions, but after witnessing the king take out his anger on Lila, she finally agrees to teach her. They meet under the cover of night using bribery and magic to keep the guards away. They eventually become friends, then partners, all of this in secret, until the king finds out from a guard and sends Asi away. As you have read, they meet again and do some very fun stuff, such as murder of a political figure(s) and espionage, all that jazz.

February 16, 2024 06:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Michelle Oliver
14:18 Feb 17, 2024

I enjoyed your story, and also enjoyed your ramblings too.😊 The story sounds like it is part of something more. Keep writing it. It’s something that I’d enjoy reading.

Reply

Kayden Solace
21:44 Feb 18, 2024

Thank you for reading! I'm glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.