3 comments

Holiday Christmas Fiction




Out of all the things I asked for Christmas a bird was not one of them, yet here we are. All it does is stare at me with those beady little eyes of his, what kind of pet is a bird anyway, you cannot teach it tricks, well not this bird. The least my parents could do is get me a parrot or something, but no I am the proud owner of a green and yellow budgie named Pickles, that was the name it came with and I was told that I was not to change it under any circumstances because he knows his name already. Oh, yah did I mention that where not going to help me because I needed to learn responsibility, I have always been a creepy crawly type of girl ask me anything about snakes or lizards and I was a fountain of information.

I took Pickles up to my room and set the cage on my desk, he stared at me as if to say he could not believe he was stuck with me. I stared right back at him as if I were expecting him to blink or something.

“Is there something I can help you with?” Nothing he just turned his head to the side and looked at me like I was a moron. To tell the truth I felt like one, but I couldn’t tell my parents that I didn’t want the bird because I had no idea how to look after it. I was seventeen after all and they where right it was time that I had some responsibilities, I also had to come to realization that there was no way my parents where going to allow a snake in the house.

I took Pickles out of his cage and sat him on my shoulder, I hope he does not poop on me and if he did, I would deserve it. He nibbled on my ear, it was not hard or anything more like a love nibble.

“You know what Pickles, you’re not so bad I just wish I knew how to take care of you. Pickles and I sat down at computer and pulled up all the reading material I could find on budgies, he moved his side to side as if he were following with me. I was so busy reading and taking notes I did not notice my parents standing in my doorway. My dad cleared his throat causing me to jump, Pickles dug his claws into my shoulder and then flew away. He looked over at my dad as if to say ‘what the hell dude’ then landed on my bed. Parents laughed and walked into my room, they seem pleased to see that the bird was still alive and well and that I was trying to learn as much as could about my new pet.

“Your mom and I where wondering if you and your new friend would like some lunch?”

I just rolled my eyes and turned off my computer, Pickles had returned to my shoulder and we headed downstairs. I fed pickles the crust of my ham sandwich he seemed happy it my mom told me that I should stick to bird seed because we do not want pickles to get fat.

“Don’t worry Pickles.” I whispered, “I will sneak you crust every once and a while.” He just nodded his head and went back to eating his crust. When we were both finished our lunch, I took my plate and put it on the counter. I took the bird back up stairs and continued my research. I could not believe how information there was, this little creature was going to take a lot of work.

“Hey, Pickles it says here that you need a mirror in your cage so that you can look at yourself, maybe will get you a different cage this one is nice, but you should see the ones they have on here.” He just stared at me with a blank expression, I really wish I knew what the bird was thinking. I gently picked up the bird and put him close to my face, he gently nudged my nose with his head. I remembered reading that they loved their heads being rubbed. He closed his eyes as I gently moved my fingers on the top of his head and down his neck, he became so relaxed that he fell asleep in my hand. From then on, we went everywhere together, well everywhere in the house. My friend Mickey came over for a movie night and Pickles sat right there with we even snuck him a piece of popcorn.

“He is so cool.” Mickey couldn’t take her eyes off him, I guess she was more interesting than the horror movie we where watching at the time.

“He is isn’t he, I am learning as I go. I have absolutely no idea what I am doing but he seems happy enough. The internet as tons of information, its just so hard to pick what is fact and what isn’t.”

“That reminds me.” Mickey got off the floor and went running into the kitchen moments later she came back with a gift.

“You didn’t have to get me anything.” I felt horrible she was my best friend, and I did not even take the time to get her anything for Christmas.

“Don’t worry about it, I thought of you when I saw it at the mall.”

I slowly unwrapped it expecting something to jump out at me, I have had a few gifts like that and even though the gift the was shaped like a book one couldn’t be too careful. I giggled uncontrollably as I stared at my gift only, she would think of getting me something like this. I sat back on the floor right beside Pickles, I laughed so hard my sides hurt.

“Look Pickles :Mickey got a book for both of us.” I picked up my bird and put him on my shoulder so he could see the book better not he really cared, he watched TV as I read the title of the book ‘Owning a budgie for dummies.’

December 23, 2020 18:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Philip Clayberg
04:10 Dec 27, 2020

Thank you for writing the story. I really liked it. Your story reminded me of when my two older brothers used to have pet parakeets (aka budgies) back in the 1970s. One parakeet was blue-and-white (female, I think) and the other was yellow-and-green (male, I think). I don't remember what the parakeets were called, though. Several possible problems, though: Pickles was right there with we even snuck him a piece of popcorn. [I think I would've said, "Pickles was right there with us. We even snuck him a piece of popcorn." or maybe "Pick...

Reply

Amber Brownlee
16:05 Dec 27, 2020

Thank you for the positive feedback, I went back and made the proper editing changes.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
20:35 Dec 27, 2020

You're welcome. I'm glad that it wasn't a story where I saw many many many possible problems (which has unfortunately happened to me at least a few times). I know how it feels when I finish a story draft, go back and reread it, and see problem after problem after problem, etc. It's not a happy experience; you almost feel like throwing the story out the window and starting over from scratch with a new story. But once the problems are fixed (at least until the next time I reread the story and see more problems to fix), it feels good becaus...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.