The Burning Past

Submitted into Contest #252 in response to: Start your story with a character being followed. ... view prompt

5 comments

Fiction Suspense Thriller

Elizabeth Walker stood on the porch of her charming, two-story house in the small town of Millbrook, Indiana. The evening sun cast a warm, golden glow over the neatly trimmed lawns and picket fences, but Elizabeth couldn’t shake the chill that settled in her bones. She brushed a strand of auburn hair behind her ear, glancing nervously down the quiet street.

Inside the house, Allen Foster, her boyfriend and the town’s Police Chief, was helping his daughter, Anne, with her homework at the kitchen table. Allen’s broad shoulders and calm demeanor always made Elizabeth feel safe, but today, her past felt too close. The man she once knew as her husband, Duke Robinson, had escaped federal prison, and the news had reached her like a cold, hard slap.

“Everything okay, Elizabeth?” Allen asked, looking up from the table. His blue eyes, always so attentive, now filled with concern. At his voice, Elizabeth jolted, then settled.

“Just thinking,” Elizabeth replied, forcing a smile. “I’ll be inside in a minute.”

She took a deep breath and tried to steady her racing heart. The life she had built here and the peace she had found with Allen and his children felt fragile under Duke’s looming presence. She turned back to the house and stepped inside.

Anne looked up from her homework, her bright eyes full of curiosity. “Are you and Dad coming to the school play tomorrow?”

“Wouldn’t miss it,” Elizabeth said, her voice more confident than she felt. She leaned against the kitchen counter, trying to find solace in the ordinary domesticity around her.

Allen joined her, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. “We’ll get through this,” he said, his voice a low murmur. “I won’t let anything happen to you.”

Elizabeth nodded, resting her head on his chest. The warmth of his embrace was comforting, but it couldn’t erase the fear gnawing at her insides. She glanced at the clock on the wall, each second a reminder that time was running out.

“We need to be careful,” she whispered. “Duke won’t stop until he finds me.”

Allen’s grip tightened. “We’ll be ready,” he replied. “Whatever it takes.”

She had fought hard to escape Duke’s grasp years ago, but now, it seemed the past had found her, and she wasn’t sure if she had the strength to face it again. To face him again.

A few nights later, the sound of distant sirens woke Elizabeth. She sat up in bed, her heart pounding in her chest. Allen stirred beside her, his face immediately tense.

“What’s happening?” Elizabeth whispered, the words barely escaping her lips.

“Stay here,” Allen said, swinging his legs out of bed and grabbing his badge and gun from the nightstand.

Elizabeth pulled the covers tighter around herself, listening intently. Through the open window, the faint, acrid scent of burning wood drifted in. Her mind raced back to the news of Duke's escape, and she couldn't shake the feeling that he was behind this.

The front door creaked open, and Elizabeth slipped out of bed, moving to the window. Peering through the curtains, she saw the flicker of flames in the distance, painting the night sky an eerie orange. The fire trucks’ sirens blared, echoing through the quiet town.

Allen was already outside, talking on his police radio and putting on his bulletproof vest and gun holster. Elizabeth knew he was on his way to the scene of the fire.

Throwing on a robe, she crept downstairs and out the door, the cool night air hitting her face. The fire was at the edge of town, not too far from where Allen’s wife had died years ago. The thought sent a chill down her spine.

As she approached Allen, he turned, his eyes filled with worry. “What are you doing out here?” he asked, his voice edged with fear.

“I couldn’t stay inside,” Elizabeth replied. “Do you think it’s him?”

Allen didn’t answer immediately. He looked back at the flames, his jaw set in a hard line. “It’s too similar to be a coincidence.”

Elizabeth felt a shiver of fear and paranoia creep over her. She scanned the crowd of onlookers who had come out of their homes to check out the sirens, half-expecting to see Duke’s face.

“I feel someone’s watching me,” Elizabeth said, her voice barely a whisper.

Allen pulled her close. “We’ll find him,” he said. “I promise.”

Allen’s grip tightened on her shoulder. “Go back inside and get some rest. I’ll be home soon.”

As she walked back to the house, Elizabeth glanced over her shoulder, convinced she saw a figure slipping away into the shadows. Fear gripped her heart, knowing Duke was closer than ever. Elizabeth locked and double-checked each lock in the house before lying awake for the rest of the night.

Two days later, Elizabeth raced to the elementary school, the air thick with smoke. The orange glow cast eerie shadows on her face, her eyes wide with fear and determination. She knew this wasn’t just another fire; it was a message from Duke. Attacking the school where Anne went was something he would do to get to her.

Allen was already on the scene, talking to firefighters and calming frantic parents. Anne, thankfully, had already gotten out of the school, but Elizabeth’s heart still hammered in her chest, her breath coming in short, ragged gasps.

She wanted to stay at the scene. She wanted to offer to help, but she knew she had another job to do. She needed to put an end to this nightmare. How many people were going to get hurt just because her ex-husband found out where she lived?

The drive home was a blur, her hands gripping the steering wheel with white-knuckled intensity.

As she approached the house, she saw a shadow moving near the edge of the property. Her heart pounded in her ears, but she forced herself to remain calm. Parking a short distance away, she slipped out of the car and into the house, her eyes never leaving the trees surrounding them.

"Duke," she called, her voice steady. "I’m here. Let’s end this."

The shadow turned, and she saw his face illuminated by the faint glow of the streetlight. A cruel smile spread across his lips as he stepped forward. Immediately, Elizabeth went inside and locked the doors. As she stood by the front door looking out the window to see where Duke was, she heard a key slide into the back door lock. Where did he get a key from?

She quickly got out her phone and sent a message to Allen that Duke was in the house.

The creak of the back door echoed through the house, and Elizabeth's breath caught in her throat. Duke stepped into the dim light of the kitchen, his silhouette imposing against the flickering bulb above. He moved up the hall with the same confident stride she remembered. He had his usual sinister smile on his lips.

"Lily," he said, his voice a low, mocking drawl. "Or should I say Elizabeth? Long time no see. How has Witness Protection been treating you?"

She stood her ground, fear and anger swirling within her. "You don’t get to hurt anyone else."

"Oh, but I do," Duke replied, taking another step closer. "This is just the beginning."

Elizabeth ran up the stairs, mentally rummaging through their belongings trying to think of a suitable weapon. The only gun in the house was currently on Allen’s hip across town.

"Lily, you’ve certainly upgraded your hiding spots,” Duke said, dripping with mockery, as he slowly made his way to the base of the stairs. “This place is a real step up from our house and from that shack where my men found you in Tennessee."

"It's over Duke," Elizabeth said, her voice steady despite the fear tightening her chest. "The police are on their way. You won't get away this time."

"You think they can stop me?” Duke laughed. “I’ve been two steps ahead of them ever since I broke out. You should know better than anyone how resourceful I am."

Elizabeth's remembered the small can of pepper spray that Allen had bought her months ago. She ran to their bedroom and tore it out of the nightstand drawer. She ran back out to the hallway and pointed it around her. Where has he gone?.

She had to get him to talk to know where he was. And to buy time for Allen. "You won't win,” she yelled.

"Win?" Duke stepped into the light at the top of the stairs, the dim light casting shadows on his scarred face. "This isn’t a game, Lily. This is about reclaiming what’s mine. You stole everything from me. You ran from me. You turned me in to the FBI. And now it's time for payback."

He lunged at her, and Elizabeth barely had time. She aimed the pepper spray at his face and pushed the plunger. Duke recoiled, a roar of pain escaping his lips as he clutched his eyes. Her own eyes stung, but she could still keep them open. Her hand started to burn where it the pepper spray had landed in the chaos.

Elizabeth, recognizing her opportunity, didn't hesitate. She turned and ran into the spare bedroom, her footsteps echoing off the wood floor. She could hear Duke behind her, his curses growing louder as he stumbled after her.

"You can't run forever!" His voice ragged with fury. "You belong to me, Lily! You always have!"

He came into the room and lunged, grabbing her ankle and yanking her down. She fell hard, the breath knocked out of her lungs.

"You think you can outsmart me?" Duke hissed, pinning her to the cold metal floor. "You think you can take everything from me and walk away?"

Elizabeth struggled, her vision swimming. She reached for anything she could use as a weapon and her fingers closed around a flower vase. With all her strength, she swung it at Duke's head. He grunted in pain, his grip loosening just enough for her to wiggle free.

Though dazed, Duke stirred, a groan escaping his lips as he pushed himself up. Elizabeth's relief was short-lived. With a sudden, desperate lunge, Duke grabbed her, yanking her back. She cried out, the vase slipping from her fingers and clattering to the floor as the front door burst open. Allen, with a few officers behind him, ran up the stairs and crowded the doorway.

"Stay back!" Duke shouted, his voice a guttural snarl. While Elizabeth was distracted, he grabbed her and produced a knife, pressing it against her throat. "Nobody move!"

Allen froze, his eyes wide with panic. "Duke, let her go," he said, his voice steady but edged with fear. "You don’t have to do this."

"Shut up!" Duke hissed, his grip tightening. Elizabeth winced as the blade bit into her skin. "I want a car, and safe passage out of town. If you try to stop me, she's dead."

Allen's jaw clenched, his eyes darting between Elizabeth and the knife. "Alright," he said slowly, raising his hands in a gesture of peace. "We'll get you a car. Just don't hurt her."

The house fell into a tense silence, the only sound was Elizabeth's labored breathing. Duke's eyes were wild, darting around the room as if expecting an ambush. The knife pressed harder against her skin.

"Get it now," Duke demanded, his voice a low growl. "And don’t try anything stupid."

Elizabeth's heart raced. Her mind was a whirlwind of fear and desperation. She met Allen's gaze, trying to convey her terror. She needed him to act. But she knew that he was bound by his duty and by the thin thread of hope that Duke might let her go.

"Okay," Allen replied, his voice calm but urgent. He reached into his pocket and pulled out his car keys. “Take mine. It’s out front.”

"Smart move," Duke sneered, his eyes never leaving Allen. He began to walk toward them, forcing them to back out of the doorway. Once past the officers, Duke turned and walked backward, pulling Elizabeth with him. "Don't follow us. I'll know."

Allen nodded, his face a mask of helpless fury. "Just let her go, Duke. You don’t need to hurt anyone else."

Duke's laughter was a harsh bark. "You think you can bargain with me? I’m taking her with me until I’m safe."

Elizabeth’s pulse thundered in her ears. Every step backward felt like another step into the abyss. She glanced at Allen, a silent plea in her eyes. He had to have a plan. He had to save her.

As they reached the door, Duke's grip tightened. "Move," he ordered, pushing Elizabeth ahead of him. She stumbled, the knife pressing into her skin.

Elizabeth gripped the steering wheel, her knuckles white as she drove through the dimly lit streets. Duke sat beside her with the cold blade of the knife pressed into her ribs. She took shallow breaths as she drove towards the outskirts of town.

"Don't try anything stupid," Duke said, his voice low and menacing. "Just keep driving."

Elizabeth nodded, her heart pounding in her chest. She glanced at him, catching a glimpse of his wild eyes in the dim light. "Okay," she replied, her voice steady despite the terror coursing through her veins. "Just please, don't hurt me."

The road ahead was dark and deserted, the trees casting long, eerie shadows. Elizabeth's eyes darted to the rearview mirror, hoping to see the flashing lights of the police in pursuit, but there was nothing. She took a deep breath, steeling herself for what she had to do.

Elizabeth tightened her grip on the wheel as they neared a sharp bend. She glanced at Duke and saw his attention distracted as he looked out the back window. She had put on her seatbelt out of habit when she got in the car, but Duke had not. This was her chance. With a sudden turn, she veered off the road, aiming the car towards a large tree.

The car crashed with a sickening crunch, the force of the impact throwing them both forward. Elizabeth's head slammed against the door window, and everything went black.

When she came to, the world was a blur of pain and confusion. Her head throbbed, and she tasted blood in her mouth. She blinked to clear her vision. The car was a twisted wreck, the front of the car wrapped around the tree, and the windshield shattered. She looked at the passenger seat, but Duke was gone.

Elizabeth turned her head, wincing at the sharp pain in her neck. There, on the ground, was the knife, glinting in the moonlight. A trail of blood led away from the wreckage, into the darkness of the woods.

She tried to move, but her body protested with every motion. Just as she was about to give up and go back to sleep, she heard the distant wail of sirens. Relief washed over her, mingling with the pain and fear.

Moments later, the police arrived, their flashlights cutting through the night. They found her slumped in the driver's seat, her face pale but alive. Allen was the first to reach her, his face a mix of relief and worry.

"Elizabeth, thank God," he said, his voice choked with emotion. "We need to get you to the hospital."

Elizabeth nodded weakly, allowing them to lift her from the wreckage. As they carried her to the ambulance, she caught one last glimpse of the trail of blood disappearing into the woods. Duke was out there, wounded but not defeated.

In the hospital, Elizabeth was treated for her injuries. As she lay in the hospital bed, she couldn't shake the feeling of unease. Duke was still out there, and she knew he would come back. But for now, she was safe, surrounded by those who cared for her.

Allen sat beside her, holding her hand. "We'll find him," he promised. "He won't get away with this."

Elizabeth nodded, closing her eyes. She knew the fight wasn't over, but she was ready to face whatever came next.

Elizabeth tried to immerse herself in the mundane routines of daily life. The sunlight streamed through the kitchen windows as she prepared breakfast, the smell of fresh coffee filling the air. Allen sat at the table, reading the morning paper, while Anne chatted about her plans for the day. Elizabeth forced a smile, but the tension in the room was palpable.

"You okay?" Allen asked, looking up from his paper. His eyes were filled with concern.

"Yeah," Elizabeth replied, her voice tight. "Just tired."

Anne looked at her with wide, innocent eyes. "Are you sure you're okay, Liz? You look worried."

Elizabeth managed another smile. "I'm fine, sweetie. Just a lot on my mind."

The rest of the day passed in a blur. Elizabeth tried to focus on work, but her thoughts kept drifting back to Duke. The fear of his return lingered like a dark cloud, casting a shadow over everything.

Later that night, after Allen and the kids had gone to bed, Elizabeth sat alone in the living room. The house was silent, except for the occasional creak of the floorboards. She sipped her tea, trying to find comfort in the familiar routine.

A soft knock on the door shattered the silence. Elizabeth's heart raced as she stood, setting her cup down with trembling hands. She walked to the door, her breath coming in short gasps. She opened it cautiously, finding a small package on the doorstep. There was no return address, just her name scrawled in black ink.

Elizabeth's fingers shook as she picked up the package. She closed the door and sat on the couch, staring at the box. She took a deep breath and tore it open. Inside was a single photograph of her and Allen, taken earlier that day. Her stomach churned as she unfolded a note tucked beside the picture.

“I’ll be watching.”

May 30, 2024 17:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Lee Kendrick
11:31 Jun 06, 2024

Great atmosphere and your characters were strong and realistic! Smooth transition from para to para. With a suspense ending. All the best with your novel!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexis Araneta
16:28 May 31, 2024

Chilling ending yet again, Martin ! The way this flowed was amazing. Great use of description to heighten that sense of dread. Lovely work !

Reply

Martin Maynard
18:07 May 31, 2024

Thanks. I created this as a spinoff of the novel that I am writing, as it fit the prompt. I think I may use it in the novel now!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
05:07 May 31, 2024

Ominous ending. A really tense story. I really liked your opening paragraph. The warmth of the scenery contrasts sharply with her cold sense of dread, setting up the chilling narrative for the rest of the story.

Reply

Martin Maynard
15:12 May 31, 2024

Thank you, Michelle. This was a fun one to make! I am glad you liked it. This is a section that fits into the novel that I'm writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.