0 comments

Friendship Funny Happy

The wind blew strongly making few leaves fall from time and time, even though the whistle of it was loud June could still hear running footsteps closeby on the field.

"April, quit it out" she exclaimed in annoyance, April's giggle could be heard "Mom is going to get us in trouble" she looked between trees trying to spot her. "Can you stop joking around and help me already?" she groaned.

April hidden behind the trunk of a tree watches June, quietly. She was quite short but was good at climbing, so she grabs branches and with all her strength manages to lift herself. She tries not to grunt.

"Let's play hide and seek" her voice surprises June making her look around some more "Mom told us to help her with the harvest first" she reminded her "Well then I have a fun idea" she smiled.

"I also have a fun idea... help me with the harvest so we don't get grounded" April remained quiet for a moment. "I hope your silence is you considering my idea".

"Nope, it's me realizing how boring you are... no wonder Josh doesn't like you" April reaches for an apple and waits for June to get closer to the tree "We're just friends".

June starts to walk closer to the tree, April smirks and gets in a comfortable position so she doesn't fall off like other times "Looks like someone's needs to smack some sense into you".

April throws the apple and manages to hit June at the back of her head, almost scaring her to death "You could have knocked me out, what would you have told mom?"

"Hey mom, June fell off the tree after launching apples at me" June rubbed her head as she laughed sarcastically "You know what? While you're up there throw some apples down here- not to any sections of my body," she says with a warning tone. April agrees. "You know this can't knock you out, right?"

"I'm sure it can" April shook her head "Well you deserved it" she throws another apple at her, this time aiming for her stomach but fails "I didn't, you are delusional".

"Yeah and I also happen to be a yellow bear who has horns for ears and hands for paws" June rolled her eyes at the sarcastic remark "Just admit you like him, I won't say a word".

"You are delusional, sarcastic but most of all a tattletale, if I did like Josh- which I don't you wouldn't find out unless he were my boyfriend" another apple is thrown hitting her arm.

"First off, rude. Second, we're using the b-word now?" April's smile grew while June's patience was almost gone.

There is a silence between them as it's just April passing the apples and June placing them in the basket, she began to organize them trying to make room for more.

"I know he likes you" June's eyes widen "Now you're a liar".

"Cross my heart" she even does the hand gesture "You told me he didn't less than a minute ago".

"I was joking, the boy would go to ends of the planet for you just to make you happy" June threw an apple in April almost making her fall off "Liar" she repeated.

"Your thirteen birthday when the cake got all over your clothes and face and you were embarrassed, what did he do? He made a huge food fight and you had a great time. Halloween you felt bad about your costume being a simple mantel, he went matching with you. The first day of school when you-"

"You said you wouldn't bring up that incident ever again" April shut her mouth... for just a moment "He was your first-"

"Enough," she said demanding. April threw two apples this time "Mom likes him, I like him, he already has bonus points" to June it seemed almost impossible to keep her sister quiet for five minutes. "I like him too, as a friend".

"I guess we're both liars".

"Get off the tree, we got enough apples" April does so, once she's down she grabs one of the apples from the basket and takes a bite out of it. "I'm not lying, I don't like him" April could tell she was being serious this time.

June began to walk back to the cottage "Can I know why?" April exclaimed as she chased after her "He's too clingy".

"Meaning he won't cheat".

"Meaning he will probably be someone very dependant" she agreed with June on that point. "He's close-minded".

"It's okay to have a different point of view on things..." June shook her head, to her it wasn't "Too traditional" she added, "You'll marry in white? Like mom".

"You don't get it, you're too young" she grabbed the bitten apple and took a bite out of it as well "Then help me understand, it seems to me Josh isn't the problem".

June stopped to think about it, to think of what words would help her understand. "I don't want what mom has, I want more, I want to get out of this place, go to the city and find a job doing... whatever, with Josh that doesn't sound possible".

April didn't know when or why she began thinking this way, since there wasn't anyone to make them think this way, but she could tell this meant a lot to June.

Maybe June had a point, maybe she was too young to understand, but this was one thing she wasn't going to tell anyone, she would only have to cross her heart and hope to die before she told a single soul this.

"Maybe making apple pie... yours are pretty good" June laughed, she liked the sound of a simple job or making her own money. Maybe she could be some influence for other women in the village to do what they want and not what the standards seemed to be, or at least to her sister.

"Maybe I will" they smiled and went inside.

October 12, 2020 03:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.