3 comments

Crime Thriller Drama

Adam woke up then looked around the room, not knowing where he was. He was breathless as he climbed out of bed. He crossed the room quickly and the sun was setting.

A few minutes later, a woman crossed the room and came to stand beside him.

The dim house light emanating from the kitchen was the only thing allowing him to see her. She was darker skinned, with brown hair and he saw that she was wearing a slip.

Adam asked her,” Who are you? “

The woman smiled,” I’m Brii, your fiancée’.”

Adam didn’t even care to know anything else. She was so beautiful that even though he didn’t know her he was content to stay with her.

After the sun set and it was black as pitch outside, Brii led him back to their bed.

Early the next morning, Adam woke up to her singing in the next room. He followed her voice then found her in the kitchen. There was fluffy, lightly browned pancakes, crispy bacon and buttered syrup on the side.

Adam kissed her cheek as she passed by him to put more pancakes in the frying pan. Adam grabbed a butter knife and went to spread butter over his pancakes. A small sliver of butter dropped from the end of the knife onto the handcrafted oak table below.

Brii’s eyes went wide then she roared at him,” ADAM!!!!!! HOW COULD YOU???!”

Adam froze, his heart was beating too fast in his chest. She slapped him then hurried from the kitchen. He didn’t dare move, not knowing what she was going to do next. Brii returned with a clear bottle of bright yellow liquid that smelled like lemon. She pushed the plates aside then scrubbed like it was life or death.

Adam apologized,” I’m sorry.”

Brii sighed as if trying to calm herself, “It’s fine. Just be more careful… okay?”

Adam nodded then went to leave the kitchen.

Brii shoved him into a wooden chair, “DID I SAY YOU WERE EXCUSED?! DID I???”

Adam stared down at the table,” I don’t know what you want me to do.”

Brii spoke quieter, “How about you act like a human instead of a little boy who is scared.”

Adam told her, “I will try harder.”

Brii threw the rag on the counter then told him,” I’ll be back in a couple of days. Clean up when you get done with breakfast.”

After Brii left, Adam put the food away. He took his wallet and a sweat shirt with him.

Adam headed down the beach then found a sandcastle that looked like it took days to build.

He kicked the sandcastle, destroying all the hard work. A girl in a green skirt and light blue top came over smiling.

 The girl asked him,” Why did you kick down our sandcastle down?”

Adam told her,” I’m sorry. Just a bad day, I guess.”

The girl grinned, “Well, then you have to help my brother and I rebuild it.”

Adam nodded then grabbed a pink bucket then gathered up enough sand to rebuild the bottom floor. After about an hour, a balding middle aged man came to collect his kids.

Adam got to his feet as the man shot a disgusted look at him, “Why are you bothering my kids?!”

Adam took a step back as the heavy set father balled up his fists.

The pre-teen daughter, Anya told him,” Daddy, he knocked over the castle. I made him help us rebuild it.”

The kid’s dad glared at him as he turned to walk away. Adam went back to the beach house. He paced the floors, unable to settle down enough to even watch tv. He wanted her back home, he didn’t care about her temper.

He sat down and cried into his hands. Loneliness had to be the cruelest form of torture. He felt as though his heart was literally breaking. He couldn’t take it. He got up then grabbed the landline phone, then found her number.

He called Brii,” Please, come back. Brii, talk to me.”

Brii hung up without a word…

Adam spent the next nine hours calling her over and over to no avail.

Adam finally gave up then went outside. Brii was waiting for him on the porch. Adam hugged her, “Honey!! I thought you weren’t coming back.”

Brii crossed her arms,” I shouldn’t have. But I am too forgiving. You are LUCKY I’m here.”

Just then, the phone rang…Brii rushed to get it first but Adam answered.

Adam asked,” Who is this?”

Brii hissed,” Hang up!!!Now, do it!!”

Before Adam could hang up, the voice on the phone told him,” Adam? Adam, where are you?! It’s your Dad.”

Brii kicked the phone out of his hand then pushed him out of her way.

Adam lay on the floor, stunned as she dropped the phone in ice water.

Adam shook his head but didn’t question it. Brii exhaled slowly then kissed him.

Brii told him,” We will be fine as long as you don’t look too deep.”

Adam promised her,” I don’t care about what came before us. This is good enough for me.”

Brii glared coldly at his words, “Not good enough.”

Then she kicked him backwards through the sliding glass door.

Adam landed in the sand, covered in small fragments of glass.

He looked at her in surprise, then played his head against the mixture of sand and glass. He figured if he lay still long enough, she would go away.

It did not work, Brii kicked him as hard as she could in the side.

Adam scrambled away then stopped when he was about twenty or so feet away.

Brii shouted,” Worthless male!!!!Get back here, right now!!!! Don’t make me get the rifle!”

Adam went back into the house then she started to slap him yet again.

Adam caught her wrist then told her, “Enough.”

Brii pulled her hand away as if she had been burned.

Brii snapped icily, “I’ll tell you when it’s enough.”

However, she simply walked over to her cell to call someone to repair the sliding glass door.

Adam grabbed the wireless landline and put it in rice to try to salvage it.

Brii put the phone in the blender then pureed it…

Brii spoke softly,” Adam, let’s go to bed. The repairman will be here early.”

Adam took the right side of the bed and watched the tv on mute.

It was like swimming in the water knowing there is a shark below the surface, ready to strike at any moment.

Adam woke to Brii telling the repairman, “Thank you for coming by on such short notice.”

The repairman nodded, “anything. Anytime.”

Adam crossed the room then went out the side door right off their bedroom.

Brii grabbed her rifle then yelled, “Adam, get in here or I’ll shoot.”

The repairman told her, “You trippin. Put the gun down before I call the po-po on you.”

Brii shot the repairman until the gun was empty. Adam hid behind the porch couch, staying low until it was safe.

Brii set the gun down then smiled down at him, “Come help me? Then we will have dinner.”

Adam nodded, silently accepting his fate.

He couldn’t get away from her as long as she lived.

He helped her bury her employee then they cooked steak with russet potatoes and baby carrots.

She could see the fear in his eyes, and she thrived on it.

He would never be free.

January 05, 2021 06:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Kylie Rudolf
05:50 Jan 19, 2021

Wow, I love Adam!

Reply

Show 0 replies
07:09 Jan 14, 2021

Omg!! Kept me on my toes! I feared almost for Adam's life. But the very fact that Adam might be able to free himself from this narcissist kept me going. The ending was very real...though it crushed my hope a bit...but it was very real.

Reply

Reece Watson
20:52 Jan 14, 2021

Though when you think about it, a story never ends.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.