0 comments

Coming of Age

Eleanor, What my mother and father call me. Ellie, what my siblings call me. Lastly, Elle what everyone that is not related to me calls me. What have I been doing lately? A lot. I'll start at the beginning. When I was five I played LuLu the ladybug in our school's production of "Splat!" From then on drama and music were just my thing. From classes to camps. Performing is my life. So I decided I would get myself a little acting gig. People pay well enough around here. I started looking when I turned sixteen around four months ago. At this point, doubt was in abundance and hope was barely hanging on. So there were a few mixed emotions when they called.

"Hello?" My voice was about to break.

"Hello, this is Marissa Stevens, I work for Disney."

My heart fluttered in a strange and confusing way.

"Do you need anything?" "Why else would they have called?"

"Yes, Elle Avery? We saw you in "Into the Woods."

That's right! My family saved up all year to send me to a prestigious theatre camp in NYC. The first thing they told us when we got there was that important people were coming to see our production! Marissa Stevens definitely sounded important!

"That's Incredible! What did you think?"

"I thought actually very highly of your performance."

A moment passed, I held my breath."

"We would like for you to audition for the lead in a new series we have created!"

"WOW! I mean, OKAY I MEAN WOW!"

"If you accept, you will be auditioning play, Paris Mcgrath, in Bright Days."

"Jake Warneke felt strongly about you, will we see you at auditions on Thursday?"

"YES!"

The day of auditions, the very worst and best day of my life. I was nervous as I had probably ever been. Nervous and Excited. I had been so shocked when they told me about this! Elle Avery on Disney Plus? Yes! I had done research since Marissa called on Saturday. Bright Days sounded exactly like something I would have been obsessed with at the age of 9-15. Jordanne Patterson, Russel Gregory, Ian Smith, and Paris Mcgrath all run a podcast. Every Friday they cover a serious and controversial issue which can them in trouble with quite a few people. But there is also drama inside their friend group. It was perfect. I had to be perfect if I wanted the part. I pull my hands into fists so tight I afraid my fingernails will draw blood. If I thought that was bad I just had to wait. Because just then, at the near most inappropriate time for this exact thing to happen, it did.

"Eleanor Avery!" A tall man with a clipboard shouts

"It's Elle!" I correct but immediately regret doing so.

Three people sit behind a long wooden desk u shaped desk.

They all wear name tags and serious expressions.

I read them forgetting to introduce myself.

"Michelle Granson, Jake Warneke, and Lola Tendere."

I see their concerned faces and jump back into reality.

"Hello, I am Elle Avery, audition for Paris Mcgrath."

"HELLO AND WELCOME TO BRIGHT DAYS!" I announce sucking in a deep breath and continuing with my lines.

"It is The Activators here with a segment on Marine Conservation, Marine animals, the beauties of the sea."

"That's enough" Lola declares.

I drop my shoulders and begin to walk away. It was nice to dream about this for a while. Time to get back to reality.

"No! We loved it! You are our new Paris Mcgrath." Michelle interjects.

"Oh my gosh! Thank you so much!" I smile trying not to implode.

I nearly run away screaming.

"Filming begins in NYC next month."

Wait what?

Three Weeks Later

"New York?" My father uses a very low tone.

"Honey, you know we support you but..."

"I can pay for the plane ticket! I have been saving up anything I get since I was four!"

"No not that! Your only a sophomore!" I know what my mother is suggesting.

"This will give my career a headstart!" I argue.

"What career? Your Sixteen!" My father yells.

"Exactly, the earlier I start the better."

"We're going to miss you like crazy!" My brother chimes in.

We all join in for a hug. I know my parents would never hold me back from an opportunity like this.

The Day of the Move

I wipe a small tear from my cheek. Saying goodbye has never quite been my strong suit. I join my family for yet another long family hug. We are all a little teary. But my excitement quickly consumes me when my dad shouts...

"Alrighty Miss Disney Star, let's go."

I grab my two suitcases and five boxes and thrust them into the trunk and were off. My dad drops me off at the airport with a kiss goodbye. I deliberately turn my frown upside down. No pun intended. I see Michelle and Jake wave me over.

"Time to meet your new family!" Michelle giddily exclaims

I twirl around examining my castmates. Jake takes charge and puts us in groups. A little bit like seventh grade but, I'll roll with it. I am put in a group with all the kids that play with my friends. We go around in a circle. Introductions of course.

"Hello! I am Ezmae Lugo, I play Jordanne."

She seems nice enough.

"Hey, I'm Brandon Loyd I play Ian."

A hopeful expression spreads over my face.

"Christopher Blevins, A.K.A Russel."

My turn, "Hello Everyone, I am Paris, I mean, I'm Elle-"

"It's okay were nervous too." Christopher pipes up

"Can you show me around?"

"It is our pleasure." Ezmae smiles.

They link arms with me and we follow jake into a big brick building.

"This is our school!" Brandon gestures to the front desk.

"You have your own school for actors?" I exclaim wide-eyed.

"Yup! I have been on a Disney show before, it's amazing!" Ezmae laughs

"Can't wait!" I really can't. I am so happy you could ask me anything and I'd see the bright side.

December 19, 2020 02:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.