3 comments

Fiction Historical Fiction Thriller

         In England 1918 with the Representation of the People Act, women over the age of 30, who met a property qualification, were given the right to vote. Later, in 1928, in England, Wales and Scotland women over the age of 21 were given the right to vote in accordance to the revised Representation of the People Act.

         We are following one family, father, mother and daughter with their views on the women’s right to vote. We’ll call them the Cunninghams, Lord Malcolm, Lady Beatrice and their 17 year old daughter, Claudine.

         Lord Cunningham definitely was against women voting. Who do women think they are, they don’t need to vote, their husbands will tell them what to believe. He was raised by a very staunch conservative father and heard his father’s views so often, of course, Lord Cunningham came to believe it. Even as an adult he kept those views. 

         Knowing the right for women to vote was coming up in the House of Commons, the conversation at their dinner table has been largely about that topic and nothing else. Which made for long boring dinners, especially for his daughter. His wife, as you probably guessed was all for the vote, since she was also raised by a conservative father, but her mother had a different idea, for a woman in those times. Beatrice and her mother would discuss their views out of the hearing of her father. Her mother was all for the right for women to vote. So, needless to say since Lady Cunningham had her own ideas on the subject relations between her and her husband was not all roses.

         Lady Cunningham did not voice her opinions too often at dinner. She was taught not to disagree with her husband, especially in front of the children or the maids. She would talk to him of her views in the privacy of their bedroom. Lord Cunningham always told his wife that she will have to get used to the idea that women will not get the vote. He seemed so sure of himself. Beatrice just smiled and “yes deared” him.

         Lady Cunningham would discuss her views with the ladies who came calling. Most of her friends had the same views as she did, and admitted that they did listened to their husbands and pretended to agree with them, if only to keep the peace.

         At his club, Lord Cunningham and some friends would eventually begin to discuss the upcoming vote and their opinions and of course they would repeat some of their wives opinions. Those evenings would oftentimes get heated. There at least one guy who agreed with women. The razing he would get from the others. Also, this guy was usually a bachelor, or recently divorced, or just someone who likes rocking the boat. The next morning at breakfast Lord Cunningham would regale his wife with who said what and admitted that he himself at one point felt like trouncing someone.

         Lady Cunningham would then repeat some of the comments made during her teas times with the ladies. Usually some of the other ladies would bring their younger daughters, around Claudine’s age. The young girls would go upstairs to Claudine’s room after a respectable time spent with the older women. Claudine and most of her friends believed that women should get the right to vote. After all, it would be good for when they have grown up. Claudine also wants girls her age to be able to pursue any further education they want but with what her father believes, Claudine feels she will be stuck in the dark ages. She hasn’t met anyone her age that doesn’t believe for the vote for women.

         Whenever Claudine mentions any opinions her friends have, her father would accuse her of being led by the views of others. Claudine thinks that her father is one to talk, he expects his family to be guided by his opinions. Claudine brought this fact up to him and he would get quite upset. Claudine would go cry on her mother’s shoulders. Then her mother would remonstrate with her husband that he cannot have it both ways. She reminds him that Claudine takes after his side of the family. He begrudgingly admits that fact.

         Not only is the family at odds about the upcoming vote; the kitchen staff has their views. The maid will go into the kitchen and tell the cook that she doesn’t understand about this vote. Cook tells the maid that women are tired of not being able to voice their opinions about what affects them and their families. She said it’s a man’s world, and down the ages men have been told that they are the bosses in their families and those women should not correct their husbands in public. A woman who does believe what her husband believes will try to make sure any children think the same way. The butler heard what the cook was saying and felt it his duty to expound on it. As far as the butler is concerned, Lord Cunningham is right in his beliefs. At one point in his life the butler was engaged, but his fiancé was very forthright with her thoughts and the butler felt that being married to her would not be his cup of tea. Cook looked over at the maid and winked. Maid understood that the wink meant “of course he believes that, he’s a man.” Maid giggles and goes back to work.

         The day of the vote comes up and Lord Cunningham seems distracted during breakfast. He told his wife not to expect him home for tea, as this vote could go on forever. Over the past weeks it seemed like many of the others in the House of Commons were changing their thinking. Those against the vote had a difficult time trying to change their acquaintances minds. Lord Cunningham and his supporters were looking haggard, it has been a most trying few weeks.

         Lord Cunningham arrives home about 10 p.m. in an awful mood. Lady Cunningham had the cook prepare a quick tea to be served in their bedroom. Meanwhile, she asked how the vote went. He told her it was the end of the world as they know it. She soothes him saying, it may not be as bad as he thinks.

         At breakfast the next morning Claudine said that she’s happy for those women who want to vote and that she hopes it will mean good things for her generation. She gives her father a kiss and says, “It will be okay,”

August 06, 2021 02:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Andrea Magee
11:47 Aug 19, 2021

Very good storyline for 3 different pov's. I love how they all came from the same family. Love the inclusion of the difference of opinion among the staff too. Good job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shelly Wota
14:20 Aug 13, 2021

Thank you very much Steve. It helps to hear comments on ones work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Stevie B
10:45 Aug 12, 2021

Shelly, you've constructed a very well researched and very well written story. Great job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.