9 comments

Drama Fiction Teens & Young Adult

So the purpose of this story, is to make up your own...I don't even know.

Basically what you do is you read this whole thing, then when y'all are wondering what Cara did, you make up your own "story" for what Cara did. This is a story for ya'll to choose what happens there, and once you figure out the perfect backstory for Cara, tell me in the comments :)




“It's not fair!” Courtney whines to me. She’s my girlfriend Cara’s little sister, and it makes me feel bad.

“What’s not fair, Court?” I ask, crouching to get to her level. She pouts, her brown eyes narrowing, then she looks up at me again.

“You always take Sissy out, but never me.”

“Oh?”

Courtney sniffles and gives me dough eyes. Dough eyes? Courtney loves me! She calls me her best friend forever, yet dough eyes? My heart cannot take this, she looks so sad!

“Well, since I came over to hang out with your sister and we aren't doing anything…” I trail off. “Ask Cara, and I’ll take you to the county fair today.”

Her eyes brighten and she smiles. “Really? Thank you!” 

Courtney runs upstairs, her long dark hair trailing behind her in a mess. I sit on the couch with a sigh, tired out of my mind. I could hardly sleep last night, because of that damn cat my sister got.

“Eastonnnnnnn!” Courtney runs down the stairs, with Cara right behind her. “Sissy said I can go!”

“Yeah babe, but take this, in case she wants anything.” Cara hands me a wad of money, but I decline it. She knows me better then that.

“Baby, money isn’t a problem,” I tell her. I’ve never had an issue with money. In fact, I’ve bought my way out of a few problems with money. 

“Are you sure?” Cara scrunches up her forehead like she usually does when she feels bad, and I pull her into my arms.  

“I’m sure,” I plant a kiss on her cheek, and she gives me one on the lips. Courtney grabs my hand and tugs me up.

“Come on Easton, let’s GO!” she exclaims and we walk out the door together.

----


The county fair usually disappoints, but this year, it seems to be fun. I run around the fairgrounds with Courtney, as she talks about school, and her friends and her dog, but I don’t mind. 

What do people say? Kids will be kids? Something like that.

The fact is, kids can be cool, and when they are, you get a kid like Courtney, who doesn't have a care in the world for anyone or anything else but herself. Call it selfish, but she’s learning who she is as a person, and when she finally figures it out, she’ll have people to support and love her.

“Ooh, can we go get cotton candy?” she asks, perking up. I bite my lip.

“Do you really like cotton candy? Of everything there?” I ask. Damn, cotton candy? This kid is begging for a sugar crash.

She nods, so we walk through the crowd to the cotton candy stand. No one is there, luckily, so we speed to the front of the non existent line.

“What can I get for you today?” the guy working in the cart asks. 

“Just cotton candy,” As I pull out my money to pay for what Courtney wanted, I hear a scream, one that only I could recognize as someone being scared.

I turn around and Courtney is being dragged away from me by two men in white t-shirts. I run after her, but the crowd swallows me, and I can’t get out.

“Courtney!” I yell, and nobody takes notice. “Courtney!”

Shit shit shit. I lost her to some creeps-

A tall man with short greasy hair waves me over. The collar on his bright purple shirt is folded unevenly, and his shoes caked with dirt. I push through the crowd to get to the man, and when I do, I grab his shirt and shove him up against the wall outside of the building that’s the bathroom.

“Where the hell are you taking her?” I ask, my jaw clenched. His lips press into a line before he starts laughing. 

“Calm down Easton. We don’t want to hurt her. Unless you don't get us what we ask for.” the man says. 

My grip loosens, and I reach into my pocket. “You want money? I have all of this, and if you need more, I have my whole bank account.” I respond. “Just let her go. Please”

The man pushes my money away and looks at me, disgusted. 

“Why is it that everyone always thinks we want money?” the man asks. “We want something more valuable.”

I start to shake. What do they want?

“Cara Mayson. We want her.”

Everything echoes in my head. Why the hell do they want Cara? My Cara of all people?

“Make a choice, Easton. It's Cara or Courtney.”

I don’t want to. If I can find Courtney, I can get her out. Keep her safe, while also keeping Cara safe. 

Odds of me finding Courtney though? I don't even know. 

Cara or Courtney? 

“Alright. I’ve made my decision,” I say sternly, and the man nods his head.

----


Cara sits, tied to a chair in the basement. The man I met earlier, has let Courtney go, so she clutches onto me for dear life, sobbing into my shirt. I feel bad, but Cara would have wanted me to choose Courtney.

Cara was all that Courtney had, all that I had. And I have to let her go.

We don’t say goodbye. This is going to hurt too much. I’m not even sure what they are going to do to Cara, but I hope they won’t kill her.

“Courtney, we have to go now,” I tell her softly, picking her up. Poor girl is only six, and now I’m all that she has.

I love her, like she’s my younger sister. 

As I walk up the stairs, Courtney in hand, I hate myself because I couldn't save both of them.

“Easton, I love you.” 

I turn to see Cara. She mouths a silent “thank you” and it takes everything in me to not go and beat the shit out of the guys standing around her. If I did that, I couldn’t win. It would be 7 against one. 

“I love you too. Always and forever.” I reply, my voice breaking.

Then we walk out of the basement, and out of the house.

“Where is Sissy going?” Courtney asks.

Maybe someday I’ll tell her the truth. But for now, she needs time to grow and become who she was meant to be.

“Your sister is going to fix some problems that she started,” I tell her, remembering that Cara had started issues with that man.

They aren’t mine to fix but I still wish she had told me.

“Is she going to be okay?”

I swallow. “I hope so,” I say but so quietly that she can’t hear me.


August 18, 2022 16:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Miles Gatling
10:04 Aug 24, 2022

I like the " pick your backstory " concept, very original. It brings the reader closer to the characters. Maybe Cara was an engineer for cotton candy machines and designed one that accidentally opened a hole in space-time. That's why she was captured, to make more. This way the evil cotton candy empire would spread tooth decay across the galaxy. Nice story, great pitch, easy to get into.

Reply

Jexica Marcell
13:28 Aug 24, 2022

Oh my goodness, thank you so much! I love the backstory though, I don't think I would have come up with that at all! This is why I was so excited to do a "pick your backstory", because everyone's answers would be so different than from what I thought!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
01:43 Aug 31, 2022

Heyy It's been so long! This story was so well written!!!! I liked the backstory concept, but my creativity is just😭 rn. So yeah. Maybe Cara got into a Mafia grp somehow to idk, save Courtney, since they were the only 2 people living together and were short of money??? Idk I am just writing the plot of mny Hindi movies.....XD😅

Reply

Jexica Marcell
13:11 Sep 01, 2022

lmaooooo I LOVE your idea!!!!!!! My creativity is like dead. It flat out died like last month :( But tysm for the ideaaaaaaaaa <333

Reply

Dhwani Jain
01:41 Sep 02, 2022

XD Everyone is facing WB at the same time

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
05:31 Aug 24, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Jexica Marcell
13:29 Aug 24, 2022

I don't think so... I cannot think of a way that I could stretch this out into another story, but I'll think about it...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
19:54 Aug 23, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Jexica Marcell
21:20 Aug 23, 2022

yayyyy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.