I Remember The Day When They Took Me Away...

Submitted into Contest #140 in response to: Start your story with the narrator or a character saying β€œI remember…”... view prompt

10 comments

Indigenous Sad

Β Β "Tell us another story!" Cindy and Lewis asked their grandfather, once again.Β 

It was a night like any other night, the moon bright and the stars glowing against the dark sky. They sat up in Cindy's bedroom, the children on the pink-sheeted bed and Grandfather in the comfy hanging chair. Every night they wouldΒ sit down and listen to his adventures.

Β Β "I think I've run out of happy stories. All that I still remember that I haven't told you yet are sad. Some of my stories are not quite ready for you to hear yet."

Β Β Β Every night he told his tales of living before the Europeans came to Canada. Before the whites took over. He lived peacefully with the others of his tribe, uninterrupted and happy. But that was before. And all the stories left were of after.Β 

Β Β Β "Please, Grandpa!" The children's begging eyes were too hard to resist.Β 

Β Β Β "All right. But be warned, it's much different from the others."

Were his grandchildren ready? Oh well, too late to disappointΒ them. He began telling them his story, the way he always did. I remember...Β 

Β Β Β "I remember the day like it was yesterday. It was the middle of the winter, the sun was warm for once and the wind whistled in my ears. My parents had 3 children, me and my two younger sisters, Dyani and Catori."Β 

Β Β Β "Those are nice names." Said Lewis. Do they have meanings, like yours?

Β Β Β "Yes, my name - Animkii - means thunder.Β Dyani means deer and Catori means spirit. Very nice names, we were all quite proud of them."

Β Β Β "Lewis," Cindy spoke sternly, "Don't interrupt again. Grandfather needs to tell his story."Β 

Β Β Β "Yes. Well, that day, we were all playing outside together when someone from the government cameΒ to our camp. They asked to see our parents and they had a lengthy discussion before our parents spoke to me and my sisters.

Β Β Β "They said, 'Animkii, you and your sisters are going to school.'"

Β Β Β "What's so sad about going toΒ school?" Lewis asked.

Β Β Β "Hush, Lewis," Cindy told him. "Grandfather's not done his story yet."

Β Β Β "They took us to the school and made us change into scratchy, uncomfortable clothes very different from the ones we were used to. They caused us to lose our language and religion, and now I can only speak English. Me, Dyani, and Catori were separated. We only saw each other during church, where we were punished if we talked.Then one day, Dyani didn't show up to church, and only Catori was there. She had died from this torturous place. We came back home and things were different. Me and Catori could only communicate well with each other, because we'd lost our native language. We'd grown accustomed to the new things we'd been taught and forgotten our traditions. Yet worst of all, we knew everyone thought it should've been us instead of Catori. I still suffer greatly from the loss and the terrible flashbacks of things that happened at the school."

Β Β Β He looked over at the children. Lewis was asleep, Cindy was crying. He wanted to comfort her but didn't know how. He couldn't say, 'It's okay.' Because it wasn't. He couldn't say that he was fine now, because he wasn't. That school had ruined hundreds of lives, including his. It had completely destroyed him, and he would never, ever be the same again.

April 07, 2022 20:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Lloyd Bubner
01:59 Aug 10, 2022

OMG OMG HE MIGHT OF GOT KILLED

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lloyd Bubner
01:58 Aug 10, 2022

HIS BROTHER GOT KIDNAPED

Reply

Show 0 replies
Spruce Popsicle
13:03 Apr 19, 2022

This is really good! I am very impressed by how you were able to communicate so much emotion in such a short story. Great job!

Reply

Thank you so much! That really means a lot. I've been trying to write something like this for ages!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
15:50 Apr 13, 2022

You know Sapphire? We have a collab coming up on my blog at 04:06 p.m. IST tomorrow (April 14). Do check it out, here's the link (https://djdhwanijain.wordpress.com/)

Reply

Dhwani Jain
17:41 Apr 13, 2022

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:09 Apr 11, 2022

Hello, I like how you have written a story within a story, and I love that there is a political message running through it. Grandfather is sharing a tragedy that’s all too true.

Reply

Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.