20 comments

Fiction Thriller Suspense

This story contains themes or mentions of suicide or self harm.

When a lie becomes indistinguishable from the truth, is it really a lie? 


The lone man walked slowly down the snow-covered sidewalk, collar flipped up in a vain attempt to shield his neck and face from the blustering wind, hands stuffed in his pockets in a slightly more successful attempt to keep his fingers from freezing. 


The falling flakes were visible in the light cast by the street lamps placed at regular intervals along the road. They seemed to be lighting his path and his alone, not a soul was in sight. The usually bustling city had shut down due to the late hour and the inclement weather. Only his footprints were visible in the fresh powder, giving the illusion that he was the first to walk down this sidewalk.


You sent me to fight for good. For truth and justice. You sent me to kill bad guys and steal stuff. I was given a mission to protect the citizens back home from enemies overseas who would like to kill our innocents and steal our innocence. They want to destroy us, and you sent me to destroy them.


The man came to a cafe. Bright light spilled from the large windows, drawing him into the establishment like a moth to a flame. He stopped at the door and brushed the snow off of his shoulders and head. He then stomped his feet a few times to clear the bottom of his stylish leather boots of any packed snow and grabbed the well-worn bronze handle. The peeling oak door opened to reveal a brightly lit, if empty, cafe and bakery. The five tables scattered around the place were empty and their chairs had been placed seat down on the tabletop to signal they had been cleaned for the night. A glass display case at the front was devoid of the pastries and cakes it usually held.


Suddenly, the clomp of a man’s footsteps on hardwood echoed through the place and a man appeared from behind the curtain separating the kitchen from the rest of the cafe.


“Regular?” He asked, without any other pleasantries, wiping suds from his hands onto the apron tied around his waist.


“Please,” the man responded as he pulled a chair down from one of the tables.


I agreed to fight for you. For us. I believed in our mission. I decided to do whatever it took to punish the evil that had arrayed itself against us and promote the good of our cause. To do this you said I had to become like the enemy. To go undercover and to spy. I didn’t just have to lie, I had to become the lie. I had to convince the enemy that I was one of them, that I believed in their cause and hated our own.


In less than a minute, the air smelled of roasting coffee and baking bread. The sounds of clinking mugs, dripping coffee, and a whirring oven soon filled the previously quiet room. The lone patron removed his jacket and hung it on the coat rack by the door. He then sat down and stared out the window, thinking of nothing but the way the lights of the cafe made the snow glow as if it was alive. The man loved the snow. Every winter, frozen water fell from the sky and made everything look white and pure and clean. For a time, the backstreets and alleys of the city looked almost as nice as the wide, mansion-lined boulevards.


Then the sun came out and its unflinching rays brought the world back into focus, with all of its evils on full display. He knew the snow didn’t really make the evils go away, but it kind of felt that way. 


I left everything I ever knew for our cause. You gave me a new name, a new birth date, and a new background. The old me ceased to exist. Together, we crafted someone who hated good and loved evil. Who thrived in the darkness and scorned the light.


And it worked.


The owner of the cafe emerged once again from behind the curtain, a steaming cup of black coffee in one hand and a plate topped with a thick slab of banana bread in the other. He set the food and drink in front of his one customer and patted him on the back. He then disappeared again behind the curtain. 


The man grasped the handle of the mug and brought it to his mouth. Wisps of steam rose from the dark liquid as he breathed in the scent. The first sip scorched his tongue but he barely noticed. He felt the hot drink slide down his throat and warm his freezing body. He took another sip then set the mug down and broke a piece off of the banana bread.


Together, we fooled the foolers. The evil-doers thought I was one of their own and invited me into their inner circle. When I had been accepted, I stole from them and fed you information that resulted in the capture and even death of some of them. At every turn, I foiled their plans and made certain their evil deeds were stopped before harm could come to the innocents. 


The man made quick work of his coffee and bread then rose from his chair, brushing crumbs off of his shirt and pants. He cleared his throat, then called for the owner of the cafe who came through the curtain a few seconds later. 


“Would you like another cup of coffee? Another slice of banana bread?” The man asked making his way towards his customer.


“No, no, I am good. Thank you very much, it was wonderful as always.” The man reached into his back pocket. The owner began to protest, saying that it was on the house, but stopped when his customer didn’t offer cash but his entire wallet. 


For a moment, the owner’s face was a knot of confusion, then his face fell. “You're doing it tonight?” He asked quietly.


“Yes,” was the one-word response. He stepped forward and placed the wallet into the man’s hands. 


“You don’t have to do this. You really don’t.”


“I do,” the man sighed and reached for his coat. Putting it on, he said, “Thank you. For everything.” Then he slipped through the door and back out into the falling snow.


I made these criminals and vagrants my friends. They became my only friends. Their ideas became my ideas and their thoughts became my thoughts. I became one of them. Slowly, the lie I had been living began to slip away. The lies became truth, and truth became the lies. I became lost in the labyrinth I—we—had built for me.


The lie was too successful.


The man once again flipped his collar up and thrust his hands into his pockets. He glanced back. His earlier tracks had been covered by the falling snow as if they had never existed. He turned away and continued making his way down the sidewalk, the street lamps once again his only companions. His destination wasn’t far. Less than a mile. 


I realized that I had fallen for my own lie. I no longer even knew who I was. I had been so busy protecting everyone else from evil, that I hadn’t protected myself.


As the man walked, he suddenly had the urge to make a snowball. Bending down at the waist, he used both hands to scoop up some snow and form it into a perfect sphere. He chose his target—a snow-covered red sedan about twenty yards ahead—and fired. The snowball sailed through the air and landed square on the car’s windshield. 


I have slipped into the grasp of the evil and lies and I can feel them squeezing me, trying to suffocate the life out of me.


He smiled briefly then kept walking. He could see his destination just up the street. The imposing brick building that used to mean safety and security. In a sense, it was his home. That was before.


I refuse to go out of the way. I went into this mission pretending to be a bad guy. I refuse to come out actually a bad guy.


He took a deep breath and walked slowly up the stone steps leading to the large double doors. It had been a while since he was welcome in this place, but he had decided he would visit one more time and drop his facade once and for all. 


He opened the heavy doors and stepped across the threshold. It had been a long time, yet it still felt familiar. 


Evil and lies are all-consuming beasts. Uncontested, they will spread until the only option is to burn it all down and start over. 


The man stood just inside the doorway and looked around. There were a few faces he recognized and a few he didn’t. Some of them wore looks of shock while others looks of confusion. 


He glanced over each of them and then looked up at the large flag hanging from the ceiling. The flag he had gone to war under. The flag he had fought for, killed for, and lied for.


I still believe in our cause. In my bones, I still do but I must drop this facade before the lies finally overtake me and send me spiraling into a life of grey. Where there is no black and white and everyone does what is right in their own eyes. I could think of nothing worse. I did what I could. I’m sorry I couldn’t do more.


Signed, 

Your loyal servant.


The man let the image of the flag burn into his vision, then he shut his eyes and placed his left hand over his chest pocket. He could feel the sealed envelope through the fabric. It was his letter. The why and the how. Hopefully, they would read it and understand the dangers of lies.


With his right hand, he then reached into the small leather holster on his right hip and withdrew his service weapon. Without opening his eyes, he put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger. 

July 20, 2023 05:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

20 comments

Parul Shah
23:50 Jul 23, 2023

Antonio, you have a gift for descriptive writing. The walk through the snow and the cafe were quite vivid to me, I felt as though I was there. The story ending is shocking, you amply reward the reader with a good story. I think you can make the story leaner and stronger by editing out any cliches and not relying on the italicized paragraphs to do the work of explaining who he is and what's gone wrong. The letter in italics doesn't begin with an address such as "Dear Maam X" and so it doesn't come across as a letter but rather as internal dia...

Reply

Antonio Jimenez
00:49 Jul 24, 2023

Thanks for the comment. Unfortunately, I can’t edit it now but I will keep that in mind for later.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:51 Jul 22, 2023

Great line - "I went into this mission pretending to be a bad guy. I refuse to come out actually a bad guy." Great spin on the prompt! Engaging from start to finish.

Reply

Antonio Jimenez
00:26 Jul 23, 2023

Thanks! Glad to hear it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:35 Jul 21, 2023

Spying - a great take on the prompt. And it highlights a phenomenon that happens anytime someone goes undercover, or even just immerses themselves in another culture. I hear this is why ambassadors get swapped out periodically too. The protagonist is stuck between two sets of lies. That which his own country fed him, and that of his assumed identity. But he's also stuck between two sets of truths too, isn't he? He's lived in both places, he's seen reality here and there - and the fact that the enemy is ultimately human, just like he is, dr...

Reply

Antonio Jimenez
00:53 Jul 22, 2023

Thanks for your awesome comment! I'll delete those tags. This story turned out to be pretty philosophical almost, and I guess I can get wordy when venturing in that direction, as I've gotten multiple comments now about streamlining the story lol. Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John K Adams
18:15 Jul 20, 2023

This portrait of both sides of the same coin is remarkable, Antonio. You do a fine job of keeping us wondering which side he's on, and then realize both sides do the same thing. Pretty chilling. Some of your descriptions seem wordy and editing might energize them. I find that reading aloud helps me cut flabby sentences. And the use of cliches like 'like a moth to a flame' distract from what is otherwise, a deep and compelling story. Thanks for inviting me to read this. I will happily read more.

Reply

Antonio Jimenez
06:51 Jul 21, 2023

Yeah, I’ll get rid of the “moth to a flame.” What other specific sentences do you think should be changed?

Reply

John K Adams
13:55 Jul 21, 2023

Now that you have some distance from it, read it aloud. What sentences need streamlining will be obvious. I cannot dictate that. Develop an editor's taste by testing each sentence for whether it is as strong and purposeful as it needs to be.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Bruce Friedman
13:06 Jul 20, 2023

Beautifully written. Wonderful flow and highly descriptive. I did get the idea of the danger of lies. For my taste, however, it was a little too abstract.

Reply

Antonio Jimenez
05:01 Jul 21, 2023

Hmm, I purposefully wrote it to be a bit abstract. I didn’t want to single out any specific country, agency, etc. I’m glad you liked my writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
10:42 Jul 20, 2023

I really like the premise of the tale, Antonio. The theme of blurred lines between reality and illusion is great. The only real criticism I have is that the internal dialogue is telling too much and showing too little. If you could tone down the telling a little, the tale would be more powerful. You can obviously write, and you do it well. I admire your talent. Cheers!

Reply

Antonio Jimenez
06:50 Jul 21, 2023

How would you go about doing that? Maybe I didn’t make it clear enough, but the italics are supposed to be the letter he has written. Thoughts?

Reply

Delbert Griffith
09:28 Jul 21, 2023

Ah, yes. You did make it clear, but that came almost at the end, my friend. Perhaps if you had started by showing him writing a letter, I would have seen it more clearly. As a letter, it makes more sense. Good tale, Antonio. And a very good premise. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
00:54 Aug 12, 2023

Hi Antonio, Oh my gosh, this was a heavy hitter. This piece felt heartbreaking and honest. I loved the way we got to walk with this character and slowly understand what has become of him. Your story was a great exploration of the human spirit and the line between “good” and “evil”. Great job on this one!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Charles Corkery
21:37 Jul 26, 2023

Okay, firstly, thanks for commenting on my story. Much appreciated. I really like your story, too. I like the switch from third person narrative to being inside the protagonist's mind. It's ironic that one of the comments (criticism) that I received for one of my stories-"Breaking Point" -was because I used the same switch in voices. I guess everybody has their own perspective of how to write. Anyhow, back to your story, I thought it was really good and summed up the sense of disillusionment that most "good" people feel with the morons runn...

Reply

Antonio Jimenez
04:48 Jul 27, 2023

Thanks! I am glad you enjoyed it. I may have to check out your other story. I enjoy both reading and writing a POV switch that is done deftly and effectively.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Joan Wright
18:19 Jul 24, 2023

Great story! You wore me out, changing back and forth. but I enjoyed the adventure. Good job!

Reply

Antonio Jimenez
04:47 Jul 27, 2023

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Antonio Jimenez
05:46 Jul 20, 2023

Ok guys, probably more unsure about this story than anything else I have written. It turned out way darker than I initially intended and not sure if I really got the message I wanted across. This story is not intended to condemn spies or spy agencies. Rather, I wanted it to be a warning about the danger of lies and evil in general. Spies are just a genre I feel comfortable in. Please lmk what you think!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.