Career Day with Mr. George

Submitted into Contest #39 in response to: Write a story about a Google Street View driver.... view prompt

1 comment

General

The setting is Mrs. Anderson’s third grade classroom. It’s Career Day and all of the students’ parents are coming in to share what they do for a living. 


Mrs. Anderson: Good morning class! Let us give a warm welcome to Timmy’s dad, Mr. George, here to tell us all about his special job at Google!


Mr. George: Hello everybody! My name is Mr. George and I am a Google Street View driver. I love my job so much and really enjoy discovering new places every single day. One of the best parts of my job is that I get to drive this really cool looking car that takes pictures for Google. It’s got a huge camera on top and takes pictures of everything outside. Whatever you see on Google Earth’s Street View feature was captured by someone like me in one of our special cars. 


Mrs. Anderson: Wow, what an interesting job you have Mr. George! Does anyone have any questions to ask Mr. George about what he does?


**Student 1 raises his hand to ask a question**


Mr. George: Hey bud! What is your question?


Student 1: How did you get into working as a Google Street View Driver and how long have you been working for Google?


Mr. George: That is a very good question! Well, it was about 10 years ago. I had actually just graduated from college and was looking for a job through an agency. There was an opening for a job as a driver for Google. I did not think much of it when I first applied and just filled out the application for fun. Then a couple weeks later, I got a phone call from some people who worked at Google and they told me to come in for an interview. I went to the Google Office the next day and was amazed by what I saw. The inside was super cool! There was a huge slide in the lobby, funky looking artwork on the wall, and colorful chairs and tables everywhere. It looked like a giant playground! I told the receptionist that I was there for an interview for the driver position and she led me to another room. There were about five other people in there and they asked me some basic questions about who I was and my qualifications. The interview was only about five minutes long and then they told me that I got the job! I was super excited and I could not wait to start work. They explained what I was supposed to do and showed me how to use the special car for Street View. Over the next week, I went to training and learned all about what my work would look like and how to drive the car around. Then after about a week they let me go out and into the streets to capture for Google Street View. I have been working for them ever since then!


Student 1: Wow, that is super cool Mr. George! Maybe I will decide to work as a Google Street View driver when I grow up just like you!


Mr. George: That is awesome, buddy! Does anyone have any other questions?


**Student 2 raises her hand to ask question**


Mr. George: You there, what is your question?


Student 2: Are you scared that you will ever be replaced by a robot?


Mr. George: Well, I sure hope not! Hahahah. There has been some speculation that Google will move towards driverless cars to capture for Street View, but I seriously doubt it. It will take a long time for them to test it out and account for all of the obstacles that might come in it’s way, it’s just way too risky. It will also take a long time for them to get legal permission to let driverless cars out onto the streets and figure out the issues with insurance. So, it will be a very long time before they even think about replacing our team with driverless cars. 


Student 2: That makes sense, I am kind of scared of robots anyway. 


Mrs. Anderson: Alright, are there any more questions for Mr. George?


**Student 3 raises his hand to ask a question**


Student 3: Are there any people that try to attack the car while you are driving it?


Mr. George: Hahahah, good question. No, I would not say that they come to “attack” the car, but I do get a lot of attention from pedestrians while I am driving around the city. 


**Mr. George’s son, Timmy, raises his hand**


Timmy: Ooh, dad!! Tell them the story about that one couple you saw that one time!


Mr. George: Oh yeah, that was amazing! So, one time while I was driving, I was on my route for the day and this guy comes up to me and asks for a favor. He tells me that he wants to propose to his girlfriend and that he wants me to capture him on the Street View camera while he is holding a sign that says “Will you marry me?” Now usually we do not let people hold up signs or interfere with the Street View and usually we will have to go back and reshoot the area when something gets in the way. But, I thought to myself “Why not? Let’s make this couple’s moment special.” So, I tell the guy that it sounds like a great idea and I tell him where to meet me the next day. He comes all dressed up the next day with his sign and I get it on my Street View camera and send it in to get it on the website. He thanks me and I go on about my life. Then, a few weeks later I get an email from him asking if I could do the same thing and this time he will be on one knee proposing to his girlfriend with a ring. I thought it would be super romantic and special, so I agreed to capture this moment for them. Overall, it was a super cool experience!


Mrs. Anderson: Wow, that is very nice Mr. George! Class, please give a huge round of applause for Mr. George and be sure to thank him for sharing his interesting stories about his work as a Google Street View driver!


Whole class: Thank you Mr. George!


Mr. George: It was my pleasure, thank you for having me! 


April 30, 2020 21:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Zea Bowman
18:19 May 04, 2020

It was interesting how you wrote it like a script, but it was a good different. I feel that the ending was a bit abrupt, but good job on the story anyway!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.