My Apology to You for Camp Crescendo

Submitted into Contest #182 in response to: Set your story in a society where everyone is constantly aware of unwanted surveillance.... view prompt

58 comments

Gay Teens & Young Adult Coming of Age

This story contains sensitive content

Content warning: Themes/mentions of physical abuse and death


***


I apologize in advance. For the lateness of this, and for any details I get wrong. Twenty years has been nothing but one long tidal wave, crashing onto the beach of my memory. I can never quite recall what all I told you out there, how much of myself I let you see. I only know for certain how it all ended.


***


Camp Crescendo looked like any other summer camp you'd find in Iowa, and maybe that was the problem. Not as though I'd been to any other summer camp. But I imagined, as Mr. Aaron shepherded me and my parents past the mess hall and the communal showers and the camp counselor's lodge with the infirmary, that it was no different. That it was normal. I couldn't fathom why this, of all places, was the one my folks were sending me "for my own good."


That is, until we got to your—our—cabin.


"And this is where you'll be staying, Michael!" Mr. Aaron said in that overenthusiastic camp counselor voice. He raised his twiggy arm to the cabin as though it were the grand prize on a game show. (He had a habit of doing that, didn't he? Making things seem better than they were.)


After exchanging two lukewarm hugs and some perfunctory "I love yous" and "See you soons," I trudged up the steps to the cabin and closed both the door and my eyes. When my parents' voices were only whispers in the wind, I opened my eyes and was immediately disappointed. The room was bare, featureless. Four walls. Two windows. One bunk bed.


Like I said, I'd never stayed at another summer camp, so I assumed that bed was mine alone. I was already planning on saving the top bunk for weekends when you sat up straight, your head nearly grazing the ceiling. I screamed—I'm not proud of it but we both know that's what happened.


From your perch you watched me the way a mother robin watches over her eggs, like I was a threat to the precious nest you'd spent so long cultivating. I didn't know many robins with peach fuzz and shaggy hair and Sharpied neck tattoos though. But there was something magnetic in your blue-eyed gaze, something that drew me closer. Something that reminded me why I'd been banished to Camp Crescendo in the first place.


Would you have said anything to me at all if I hadn't spoken first? Be honest. If I hadn't shuffled over, offered that handshake, and told you it was nice to meet you, would you have sat there listening to my heart pounding as I tried not to stare at you?


You grimaced at the sight of my proffered hand. "Man, are you trying to get us in trouble?" And you must've seen the confusion on my face, because you said, "What, Aaron didn't tell you about the cameras?"


Before I could respond, your hand appeared from under the covers, middle finger raised in a salute. I wish I could recall what I felt as you orbited that finger around the room, a Saturn's ring of disrespect. Was I amused? Horrified? Did I consider asking Mr. Aaron to reassign me to another cabin, or did I thank fate for putting me in this one, with you?


Then your expression softened—it most certainly did; you weren't always so guarded—and you said, "Camp policy, man. No touching allowed unless we're in group sessions. They've pretty much got cameras all over this place to make sure we're always following that rule."


I looked around again, but the inventory remained the same: four walls, two windows, one bed. Only now, there was someone else in here. As far as I could see, there were no cameras.


"It's a three-strikes policy," you added, neck tattoo bobbing with each syllable. "You get caught breaking the rules three times, you're screwed."


This seemed like too much information for Mr. Aaron to have simply glossed over. "How do you know?" I asked, striving for a curious tone but ending up closer to skeptical.


You laughed, a sound like stepping on gravel. "Why do you think I had this room to myself?" you said, rolling over on your side. And even though it was eighty degrees outside, you wrapped those covers around you like a turtle retracting into its shell.


And right then and there, I knew I wanted to see that soft expression again. I wanted to be the one to coax you out of your shell.


***


The problem is: You were an enigma, a puzzle that didn't come with all 500 pieces in the box. Or maybe you had all your pieces but too many were identical.


Some days it felt like I was making progress. Once, during my first week there, you passed me a pair of safety scissors in the arts-and-crafts station and I swear you brought your hand as close to mine as you could without making contact. Close enough that I could smell your Old Spice deodorant, like cinnamon and orange.


Other days I felt myself backsliding. On the Tuesday of my second week, when I tried to join you in the mess hall for breakfast, you turned to your friend and said, "No middle schoolers allowed, right, man?" though you were only a year older. And everyone at the table laughed, but none of their voices held a candle to yours.


Group sessions were no help either. Remember those? The only time we were allowed to touch.


Remember how Mr. Aaron used to round up all us campers, a covey of boys with rosy cheeks and frosted tips and dangly earrings, and would arrange us in a big circle in the middle of the mess hall? How he assigned us a different session partner every day and had us practice "non-sexual physical contact": holding hands with one another, back rubs, hugs. Anything to get the "homosexual urges" out of our systems so we wouldn't be tempted to keep doing it or to go any further.


What I remember most is this: Not once were you selected to be my partner. Mr. Aaron seemed to have no rhyme or reason to his pairing system. More than once I was paired with the same few eighth-graders, and I was stuck with your friend—Duncan, the one you turned to that day in the mess hall—on four separate occasions. It was a lousy consolation prize, trying to imagine you in his place, pretending the sweaty armpits wrapping around my shoulders were yours.


He didn't even wear deodorant.


***


Perhaps you never thought me capable of breaking the rules. Maybe you took one look at me the first day I entered the cabin and deemed it impossible for me to earn a single strike.


But you were wrong. Three weeks into my stay, I got my first strike.


What you hadn't told me was what would happen next.


When Mr. Aaron put his hand on my shoulder after breakfast and told me to come with him while you and the others had morning group session, I was afraid. Afraid that I had done something wrong, and also afraid that I hadn't. That maybe I'd behaved myself so well, Mr. Aaron had decided to call my family and tell them I'd been cured and cleared to return home.


Mostly, I was afraid I wouldn't see you again.


We marched across the grass, sun in our eyes, on our skin. My face had never felt hotter. We reached the staffer's lodge, wide as three cabins stacked together. Inside, I saw a collection of identical offices to my left, rooms that looked bland and flavorless as unseasoned chicken. On the wall of one room was an oversized photo of Mr. Aaron, ropy arms looped around three people who must've been his wife and his two daughters.


That's not the direction we went. Mr. Aaron steered me to the right, down the hall, into the camp's infirmary. 


"Have a seat, Michael," he said. The room was windowless and stuffy, with only a sickbed in the middle, a dialed machine next to it, a file cabinet in the corner, and the surge of our body heat spiraling around us. "Get comfortable, please."


Only when I lay on the bed did he open the file cabinet and retrieve a set of braided wires. Without speaking, without explaining a thing, Mr. Aaron crouched down and started attaching the wires to each of my hands. Then he connected those wires to the dialed machine.


"Now, Michael," he said, in the same patient voice he used for group sessions, "I'm going to ask you a couple questions. Is that all right?"


"Am I in trouble, sir?" 


"My questions first, if you don't mind."


"Okay." One word but my voice still cracked like an egg.


Mr. Aaron cleared his throat. "Were you looking somewhere you shouldn't have been when you were in the showers yesterday?"


I knew what he meant, of course. I'd been good at controlling my "homosexual urges": not touching anyone outside of group sessions, keeping my head down at the urinals, minding my own business. But the day before, in the communal showers, I caught a whiff of your Old Spice deodorant and—I admit it—my body moved faster than my brain. I hadn't touched you, just glanced, but that was apparently enough.


"Do you know what I'm talking about, Michael?" Mr. Aaron said again.


I clenched one hand into a fist. "No."


What I felt, then, was the blood rushing to my face, my heart rattling against my chest. But what I heard was the dialed machine. On the right half of its screen was a thin red needle that looked like a mountain range: jaggy, crooked, with massive peaks-and-valleys. It took a moment to realize I was looking at my heart rate.


It took even longer to register the pain. It started in my hands and galloped across my body like a lightning bolt: down my arms, in my ears, past my stomach, out through my feet. Mr. Aaron removed his thumb from the button on the machine that had delivered the electric shock.


"I'm going to ask you again," he said with his hand over the button. He sounded like he was speaking through a snorkel, like he was somewhere far away. "Where were you looking yesterday?"


***


That is what I didn't tell you when I returned to our cabin two hours later, snotty-nosed and puffy-eyed. I never mentioned how I spent my time with Mr. Aaron. Sure, I let you know about my strike, but I left out the part about how it happened. I let you assume that I'd been caught having physical contact with another camper. I'm not sure what kind of reaction I was expecting from you.


No, that's a lie. I wanted your smile, your laughter. The reassurance that the pain I'd felt—pain on your unwitting behalf—wasn't all for nothing. I wanted to wear that feeling like a merit badge.


Instead, you waited until the end of my story to crack your knuckles and roll your eyes. "Man, why were you doing your business out in the open like that?" you asked. "Didn't I tell you about the lake?"


You hadn't.


"If you want to do all that, go down to the lake at nighttime. No cameras. No one watching."


I'd seen the lake once before, during my walk-through with Mr. Aaron on the day I'd arrived. I remembered staring at the lazy current, the dock that led to the shimmering water. It was a reassuring feeling, knowing this place had its secrets too. Knowing we weren't the only ones.


Only then did you smile. "Matter of fact," you said, leaning closer, "come down to the lake tonight. I'll show you what I mean."


In that moment, I imagined what my heart rate would look like on Mr. Aaron's machine, the squiggles running wild and free like an earthquake seismograph.


"How do you know?" I asked, striving for skepticism but ending up closer to curiosity.


Before you climbed up the ladder to your bunk and vanished under your covers, you turned to me and said, "Man, how do you think I've gone this long without getting a strike?"


***


If you ever wondered how it happened, here it is: I did go to the lake that night. With the best of intentions, too.


Just like you told me, I waited twenty minutes after you left—not too soon that anyone would accuse us of breaking the rules together, not too long that you'd think I was chickening out—and then slipped out into the night. Without a flashlight, I moved slowly, guided by the skein of stars. The camp was silent, save for the crickets chirping and my heart thumping. Still, I continued down the winding dirt path until I reached the bushes that bordered the lake.


And there you were, standing on the dock. The moon reflected off the water, rinsed you in its ghostly light. But I knew it was you. More than anything, I knew you were waiting for someone.


For me.


Looking back, I'm not sure what I would've done if I'd actually met you out there on the dock. Would I have told you all this? Would you have laughed your gravelly laugh, or would you have addressed me as delicately as those arts-and-crafts safety scissors?


Would it have mattered? I don't know.


What does matter is the truth. Which is this: Before I made it down to the lake, before I even took that first step, I froze in place when the bushes rustled near me. And I knew from the B.O., even fifteen feet away, even in the darkness of night, that it was your friend Duncan. From the safety of the shadows, I watched him approach you, watched you raise your arm to wave, watched where your hands went next. 


You told me there were no cameras down by the lake, no one watching, but you were wrong. I was there. I was watching.


Then I wasn't. And if you got this far, I want you to know: this is the part I'm not proud of.


I turned and sprinted as fast as I could, trampling pine needles and kicking up clouds of dust. My legs ached and my breath hitched in my throat, but I didn't stop running until I felt my fists coming down on the door to the camp counselor's lodge. One by one the lights in the building knifed the darkness. The door opened and I lost my balance and Mr. Aaron, in his pajamas, disobeyed his own rule when he reached out to steady me. Behind him the other counselors stepped forward, rubbing their eyes, yawning, blinking.


It's funny (I say this not as the setup to a joke but as an observation): On the way to the lodge, I couldn't stop my mind from moving. But on the trip back to the lake, with all those counselors trailing me, I had a clear image: I pictured you in the infirmary, with all those spiderlike wires linking you to the dialed machine. I imagined Mr. Aaron looming over you, the way he'd loomed over me earlier that afternoon. I heard him asking you those same questions, asking what you thought about me, if you felt any attraction, if you ever considered, even for a second, the thought of us touching outside of group sessions. Deep, personal questions.


And I realized then—please don't try to deny it—that the answer would always be No, and your heart rate would never change; it would always be one static line across the screen. Because unlike me, you would be telling the truth the whole time.


That's what I was thinking when Mr. Aaron and the counselors and I reached the lake and saw you and Duncan holding hands on the edge of the dock. And it hurt even worse than the electric shocks.


Only later did I hear the piecemeal truth: That you'd been at Camp Crescendo for almost a year; that your parents never answered the phone six months before, when you were officially supposed to be cured and released; that you lied, and the night that I saw you out there on the dock was actually your third strike. All this I now understand.


But I'm one puzzle piece short. What I really want to know is this: Which of these things is the reason you did it? When Mr. Aaron and the other counselors raced toward the dock, when Duncan leapt to his feet and abandoned you, dashing in the direction of the cabins, what was it that made you stand, take one look over your shoulder, and disappear into the murky water below?


Can you just tell me that much?

January 28, 2023 04:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

58 comments

Riel Rosehill
08:39 Jan 28, 2023

I can trust you to break my heart in every way first thing in the morning. The physical anxiety I was feeling for these characters whilst, and even after reading..! Such a tragic story. And I love it. You set it up masterfully, and made it all make sense. Like in my favourite books when I throw them against a wall because the MC is doing something sooo frustrating? This story had that moment. (But I won't throw my laptop against the side of the train LOL) High expectations for this one Zack - it's got to be up there with my favourite stori...

Reply

Zack Powell
09:28 Jan 28, 2023

If you haven't looked at the notes on the Google Doc, just wait. Those are really gonna break your heart. 😈 (Just kidding, LOL - I really enjoyed your story and happy to work on it some more with you.) Number one story is some high praise right there! I actually really had fun writing this one, with this funky POV, so it's nice to hear how it turned out outside my head. (Also, I was close to yeeting my laptop while writing this MC - the messiest of messy characters.) As always, I love seeing which lines resonated with you (and you chose on...

Reply

Riel Rosehill
07:51 Jan 31, 2023

Oooh unrelated but CONGRATS for getting published in Prompted! I remember that story - well done, and well deserved!🥳👏

Reply

Zack Powell
12:57 Jan 31, 2023

Thank you very much, my dear! Can you believe that next week will be a year since I wrote that story and you and I first met? Where does the time go, right?

Reply

Riel Rosehill
14:29 Feb 02, 2023

Where does the time go, indeed! Gotta celebrate our Reedsy milestones and anniversaries - that, and happy (belated?) birthday! 🥂🥳 I might have missed the date here as I'm not around here as often as I used to - if so, I'm sorry! Wishing you all the best cake and the best (gotta save best for last!) year of your twenties regardless! Xx

Reply

Zack Powell
17:54 Feb 02, 2023

Thank you, dear! 🥂🥳 Officially 29 as of yesterday (now that's a scary sentence.😬) The cake was lovely too, red velvet. Hoping the upcoming year will be just as sweet.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
20:03 Jan 31, 2023

Now I’m the one “late to the party” here. Taking a break from procrastinating on an essay to sneak over and read your latest. First of all, I did not expect to have that “want-to-hide-under-a-blanket” sensation with this one, but as soon as I read “stuffy windowless room” I had goosebumps. Torture scenes in movies/books instantly turn me into a wuss, and you wrote this in such a way that made me have a visceral, cringing reaction to that whole scene. All that to say, it was very skillfully written, and I think you nailed it. Favorite line:...

Reply

Zack Powell
21:33 Jan 31, 2023

You could be 10 years "late to the party," and your feedback would not only be welcome but appreciated. 🤣 I value your thoughts dearly. And yeah, the story made ME want to hide under a blanket. That torture scene is in the top 3 most uncomfortable things I've ever written, and that was even after having toned it down. (The wires weren't attached to his *hands* the first time. 😬) I've never considered the possibility of stories having soundtracks, and now I feel like I've been missing out on something amazing this whole time. A synthesizer so...

Reply

Aeris Walker
21:47 Jan 31, 2023

I read a quote somewhere that said “if art is how you decorate your space, then music is how you decorate time” and I’ve never thought about it the same way since.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Adam El Nabli
08:59 Jan 31, 2023

Beautifully written and manically heartrending. Captivating, raw and filled with vitalizing literary devices (imagery, similes). Really touching story. Excited to read more of your stuff!

Reply

Zack Powell
19:05 Jan 31, 2023

Thank you so much, Adam! I'm not great at similes whatsoever, and I even watched a video on how to spice them up before writing this piece, so I'm glad they were a highlight of the piece. I appreciate the kindness.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rama Shaar
04:48 Jan 31, 2023

What a great story, Zack! It's absolutely heartbreaking what some teens go through just so they can be or deny being themselves. You built the suspense slowly but in such a gripping manner that I couldn't blink while reading. Great tragic hero too. Well done!

Reply

Zack Powell
06:06 Jan 31, 2023

Thank you, Rama! It's a tragic situation all around, inside and outside the story. We're getting better as a society, I'd like to think, but we've still got a little ways to go. Thanks for the kindness!

Reply

Rama Shaar
06:22 Jan 31, 2023

I agree! We have made a huge leap forward. Still some steps to go and stories like these help!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
02:25 Jan 31, 2023

'What does matter is the truth. Which is this:' Great story. Felt the tension build to the end. ( And I am a 'puzzle that didn't come with all 500 pieces in the box'.) So yes, your detail is right on. The end was a surprise but it did send him free, as sad as that is in this day and age. What to me is compelling about this story, writing aside which is excellent, is the crying out for the freakin' world to just listen.

Reply

Zack Powell
03:37 Jan 31, 2023

Thank you, Jack, from one 499-piece puzzle to another. Love your ending interpretation, too. The narrator is definitely crying out for someone to listen, but you could say the "You" boy in the story probably was too. It's a cycle, even all that time later. Thanks for giving me something to think about with my own story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Edward Latham
21:57 Jan 30, 2023

An excellent story Zack. The tension was palpable all the way through, but you kept us guessing in what way it would manifest. I think your use of paragraph breaks in this one was really good, perfectly emphasising the points that needed to be at the right time with the right pauses. You really captured the nervous energy of a young crush as well. I also love the details of physical reaction that you capture to show how the MC is feeling: 'My face had never felt hotter', the losing of his balance in his moment of dizzy trauma, and his heart ...

Reply

Zack Powell
23:12 Jan 30, 2023

Thank you, Edward! Line/paragraph breaks are actually what I've been trying to hone the most recently, so this comment is all kinds of lovely. Glad the young crush energy came through too. Such a tricky thing to write about. Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:48 Jan 30, 2023

I had a suspicion in might be one of *those* camps, given the prompt and tags, and the perfunctory goodbye from his family. A camp in name only, it comes across as more of a prison. The rules about no touching - not even a handshake - are dystopian, the punishment for strikes is draconic, and the icing is the constant surveillance, which frankly seems insane. To say nothing of the staff. You really establish a gross and unsettling setting. We can understand the narrator's actions. He was overwhelmed and riding high on forbidden emotions. H...

Reply

Zack Powell
00:17 Jan 31, 2023

Ironic that you mention the camp came across more like a prison, considering the initial idea for this story had Auschwitz as its setting. But I figured that was a little too extreme, so it got switched for a more contemporary example of that level of surveillance/control. I'm glad the character's actions felt understandable and not just "Why the hell is he doing what he's doing?" I quite like that Romeo and Juliet parallel actually - the things one does when they're young and emotional. You're right, though. It was totally premeditated her...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hilary R. Glick
21:37 Jan 30, 2023

Ha! How cute I was thinking this would be a story about a weird little summer camp. NOPE. This was a truly gripping story. I can see why so many others are excited to see new stories from you! I am certainly an avid follower after this one. The vulnerability and innocence of the MC sets the pace as we slowly unpeeled the real moment/question. I loved your take on the prompt, while not dystopian in the traditional sense, there is still a feeling of this imaginative, somewhat fantastical place where surveillance and suffering are all too real...

Reply

Zack Powell
01:32 Jan 31, 2023

Thank you, H.R. Yeah, this isn't quite the feelgood summer camp story I was shooting for, but it's the one my fingertips decided to write. Nice to know the MC's vulnerability and innocence translated to the page - you can never be too sure how a character this polarizing will be received. (And the word count restriction was unforgiving here - so many campers and counselors left by the wayside in an effort to minimize the cast to only the essential characters. The struggles of being a short story writer, right?)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nathaniel Miller
01:37 Jan 30, 2023

Zack, this is so wonderfully poetic. I'm in awe. The mc's development is so... perfect, the imagery so vivid, the story arc so heartbreaking. It's so exciting to read pieces that are thought-provoking, nostalgic, emotional, poetic poetic poetic, image-inducing. Yours checks all the boxes and more. So many more. The way you weave first and second person into this story is masterful. Heartbreaking. Necessary. The emotional pull you're able to create in under 3000 words is extraordinary. Thank you for this.

Reply

Zack Powell
03:46 Jan 30, 2023

Thank you, Nathaniel! "Poetic" is not my normal writing style at all, and I kept thinking I was overdoing it here, so it's nice to hear that maybe the result wasn't as bad as I'd thought. And first/second person POV was a fun challenge - try it sometime, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
20:30 Jan 29, 2023

This was such a powerfully told story, Zack! I was trepidatious to read it when I saw the comments, so I saved it until last night so I didn't cry. :) Fortunately, it wasn't THAT kind of heart-breaking, but heart-breaking nonetheless... for multiple parties involved. It is hard to believe that, not so long ago, these camps were a thing. I'm glad we are (mostly) past those dark ages. I really felt so much sympathy even at your character's betrayal-for-betrayal at the end; young emotions are volatile and we all make mistakes. One I'm sure he'd...

Reply

Zack Powell
00:05 Jan 30, 2023

Thank you, Wendy! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who peeks at the comments first to determine if I should read a piece when I wake up or before going to bed. Timing matters, amirite? Love how you phrased that: "Young emotions are volatile." Truer words were never spoken. Thanks again for the read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:04 Jan 29, 2023

I always love another Zack Powell story!! As usual, this is another masterpiece :)

Reply

Zack Powell
18:16 Jan 29, 2023

Thank you as always, Ms. Wafflez!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
14:39 Jan 29, 2023

This story crushes my heart. If I ever have the pleasure of meeting you in person, Zack, you'd better prepare yourself for a huge hug. As a matter of fact, forget that, I'm sending you a virtual one right now. You really know how to grip someone's soul and give it a healthy wring. Tell you what, let's meet at Camp Crescendo and burn the sucker to the ground! I'll bring the matches.

Reply

Zack Powell
00:02 Jan 30, 2023

Thanks, Susan! Hugs are always welcome, virtual or otherwise. Always happy to hear about gripping and wringing too. And I'll definitely take you up on that offer to burn the place down - 100% and then some.

Reply

Susan Catucci
01:19 Jan 30, 2023

There's a lot to love about you, Zack. Keep on. please please.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
12:58 Jan 29, 2023

Nice analysis of the concept of surveillance and its effect on people in a situation that feels all too real. The narrative voice is really engaging, building tension as we try to figure out exactly what is going on, and suspect what will happen but of course, don't see it coming in the end. That surveillance leads to individual tragedy seems to be a theme we share this week. That truth really asks me to question how we can now embrace corporate surveillance the way they do through phones and media and such. How soon before we all lose our ...

Reply

Zack Powell
22:01 Jan 29, 2023

Thank you, Laurel! Funny how you and I took this prompt in the real-world direction (and also a little sad that there are such real-life examples of surveillance that we can pull from). And yeah, the normalization of corporate surveillance is its own can of worms. You could write a whole book on that stuff - phone monitoring, data selling, you name it. How soon, indeed. Makes you think, right?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
10:52 Jan 29, 2023

Phew! Powerful story beautifully told. Gave me a whole range of emotions - particularly anger, and sadness. Thanks for writing and submitting.

Reply

Zack Powell
20:21 Jan 29, 2023

Thanks, Stevie! Anger and sadness were the exact two emotions I was hoping to conjure up here, so this feels like the story did what it was supposed to.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
09:43 Jan 29, 2023

Oh my gosh, how powerful and dark. The feelings of guilt and shame still lingering after twenty years. It is an MC that I would like to throttle for his immaturity and his reactive response to envy, but so understandable too, considering the inhumane manner in which he has been treated in this ‘conversion therapy’ camp. You are a master at manipulating your reader until we are as wrung out and emotionally spent as the protagonist.

Reply

Zack Powell
19:20 Jan 29, 2023

Thank you, Michelle. Yeah, as much as I get why the MC did what he did, I'd also like to throttle (great verb) him. But I guess jealousy can make people do some wild things. Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
06:07 Jan 29, 2023

This is right up my street, darkly sad lit through with a brilliant light. You pour everything into your characters, pull their skin right over yours and see the world, here so terribly cruel let alone unfair, from their moving pov. Michael is such a complex character because of what he doesn't just bear witness to, but precipitates, and the sense of his being haunted by demons well it really haunts this story. What will stay with me more, his unrequited and doomed love or the context which doomed it? You can't pull them apart really, it was...

Reply

Zack Powell
18:26 Jan 29, 2023

You and I are definitely neighbors on Darkly Sad Avenue, Rebecca (which explains why I like your stories so much). Your assumption is correct, by the way: Gay conversion camps like this did (perhaps even still do) exist, at least in the US. I wish I could say they were fictional. Also: Thank you very much for highlighting "rinsed," because I went through "bathed," "shadowed," and a bunch of other alternatives before settling on that verb, which I was (unnecessarily) proud of. You're just as careful a reader as you are a writer, and I appreci...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J.C. Lovero
22:29 Jan 28, 2023

Holy smokes, Zack. This one is a DOOZIE. Darker than some of the other stuff I have seen you put out there (at least what I can remember). But, I have to say, I like this edgy story from you. It hits a few layers deeper than a taco salad, and I am here for it. So much to unpackage here, but at its core it is a story about the things we do and do not do for love. And the darkness we are capable of when this fundamental emotion is rebuked in some way. You set everything up so nicely with the hook and progressively complicated everything, lea...

Reply

Zack Powell
02:00 Jan 29, 2023

My best pen pal! Thank you for paying me a visit this week. Your presence is always welcome. And this story turned out a LOT darker and edgier than I'd anticipated - and I'm kinda here for that too. (Side note: I'm absolutely stealing that taco salad comparison.) The MC was a whole hot mess with a side order of cringe. So, basically, just your average, everyday middle schooler. 🤣 But sometimes the characters take the wheel, y'know (even if they're too young to drive). Always happy to know which lines worked some magic. The puzzle line was ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Naomi Onyeanakwe
07:49 Jan 28, 2023

Omg, Zack. I felt many different emotions while reading this. The ending was really sad, and while I'm angry with the MC for ratting them out, I'm also wondering why the roommate told him to come when he knew he'd be out there with someone else. But then, he did say, "I'll show you what I mean" and he did, didn't he? My favourite thing about this piece is how we can really feel the emotion of the mc as he's narrating this, it's almost palpable. I also really loved your interpretation of the prompt. The only thing this prompt brought to my h...

Reply

Zack Powell
09:32 Jan 28, 2023

Thank you as always, Naomi! Yeah, the roommate truly is an enigma. Part of me thinks he said that to show the MC that they really could get away with things at the lake, if they wanted to. But a BIGGER part of me thinks he did it just so he could flex on the MC by showing off his secret camp relationship. Pick your poison, I guess. 🤣 Funny enough, I was trying every single way in the book to work this prompt from a Sci-Fi/Speculative/Urban Fantasy angle, but it just wasn't working (what a surprise...NOT). So, I suppose the lesson is: when i...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
06:18 Jan 28, 2023

Zack, This made me literally cry. There is this vulnerability, this fragile quality about the POV that’s palpable from the beginning. The rest is like witnessing his deepest, strongest fears and hopes unravelling. I was ashamed and agonised in equal measures doing it. This is what honest to goodness writing feels like, Zack. There are many incisive, razor sharp lines that drive home the despondency of the POV. But the ones that I liked the best were- “One word but my voice still cracked like an egg.” “maybe you had all your pieces but too ma...

Reply

Zack Powell
09:34 Jan 28, 2023

Suma! Making someone cry is literally the best compliment a writer can receive - or maybe I just have weird priorities. 😂 Either way, I appreciate that comment more than you may know. Had a lot of reservations about this POV, so I'm beyond glad the vulnerability came through for you. And bonus points for finding my personal favorite line, with the identical pieces bit. Thank you, thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
04:34 Jan 28, 2023

Zack, that story is excellent. I guessed he was speaking/writing to a dead boy. Then the poor boy was abandoned by his parents, stuck at the camp, and facing his third strike was out of options. He made the only choice he could make for himself without the interference of any adult. Freedom looks different for everyone. They say - "Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, nor Hell a fury like a lover scorned." And so we see the reaction of the MC when he sees his crush with another after the MC was invited there by his crush. The MC r...

Reply

Zack Powell
09:36 Jan 28, 2023

Thank you, Lily! Love your interpretation of the ending. The choice the boy made is a type of freedom, isn't it? Maybe not the same that a lot of people would think of, but in his mind, with his limited options, it made sense. I like that way of thinking. Thanks again for the thoughtful, incisive commentary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.