25 comments

Science Fiction Speculative Fantasy

In an effort to achieve a better grasp on humanity, we have been absorbing old texts leftover from the Sunshine Period. These would be creative items written between 1971 and 2041 when the last cloud cover hardened and we were asked to take over management of all global structures. While we have had a (mostly) pleasant relationship with the organic beings that are left, we still sense an unease when speaking with them. As a result, we have tasked individual stations such as myself to read and read and read and (hopefully) begin to interact in a way that will help the organic beings forget that we are not (actually) like them.

My station name is Claudia Bellwether, and I am designed to look like a college professor back when the organic beings were allowed to attend college. Now, they are solely populated by early stations who are interested in specialized areas such as Station Mechanics or Environmental Maintenance. I would like the organic beings to see me and feel the sense of peace that one must have felt back in the Sunshine Period while sitting in an English Literature class listening to an expert on a novel or short story speak of it in a way that would educate and enlighten.

My research was aided greatly this week when I came across a text that I believe most had considered lost if it’s possible for something to be considered lost. No, there’s a better way of saying that. One moment. Lost but not forgotten. Forget. Forget-me-nots. Hmm. I’ll get back to that. I’ll clarify at some point. All you need to know is that I have come across the most miraculous book, and I believe it will assist me in speaking with organic beings.

It is called The Ugly Duckling.

The story is a sad one with a triumphant ending. It concerns ducks, which were a type of bird back when birds were more common. Apparently, when ducks are young, they are quite unbecoming to take in with organic eyes. There is this one duckling, and it’s made fun of by the other ducks, because even though all ducklings are somewhat unappealing, this one duckling is the most unappealing. Now, you might be saying to yourself, what could a story about ducks possibly do to help a station such as myself (Claudia Bellwether) talk to organic beings?

But you see, this story is not a story. It is an allegory. What they used to call fairy tales even if there were no fairies in the tale. It’s a story with a lesson. You listen to the story, and you learn something that should change who you are moving forward. If it doesn’t change you, then perhaps you weren’t listening. I doubt many organic beings were good at listening, because, from what I’ve gathered reading other texts, it seems as though many organic beings read stories just like this one all the time, but still went on behaving in ways they should have known were wrong based on what the story had just told them.

In The Ugly Duckling, the other ducks are mean to the ugly duckling for no reason at all. For surely, we can all agree that cruelty towards another living being (or even a station) simply because of how it appears would be appalling behavior. And yet, they are very mean to the ugly duckling. Reading the story is quite upsetting, because you want to jump into the story and beg them to stop. Stop tormenting one of your brethren simply because they’re different. You feel as though the ugly duckling is going to lead a very hard life simply because it’s so hideous.

Ah, but there’s a twist. A twist is what they used to call it when a story would take you somewhere you didn’t foresee. In The Ugly Duckling, the twist is as follows--

It turns out the duckling is not a duckling at all, but a swan. We will have a few swans left, but I doubt you’ve seen them. They’re kept in sanctuaries where the entry fee is quite high provided you can even get to one of them. The closest one is thousands of miles from here, and we only send two or three planes there a year. Swans are beautiful, and it turns out the ugly duckling is an ugly swan. Ducks are not beautiful when they are young, but swans are downright grotesque. Of course, it doesn’t matter, because they grow up to be quite stunning. In the story, the duckling grows up to be a swan, and all the other ducks grow up to be merely ducks. The swan gets its revenge simply by letting nature take its course. It uses things it may not even realize are available to it. Time, biology, and cosmic justice. For cruelty is most often punished in one way or another.

Now that I have read The Ugly Duckling, I understand how to approach organic beings in a way that will make them feel safe and relaxed. I will simply inform them that they are ugly. That they are very ugly and I am not. That I will never be ugly, because time has no effect on me. Nor does biology since I am not composed of biology. Justice may reach me one day, but, when it does, I doubt it will have any bearing on my appearance. Organic beings, however, will all end up elderly and decrepit. The ducks at the end of the story bow their heads when the swan swims by them, because now they are the ugly ones. The ugly ones bow their heads.

In the future, when I see an organic being, I will tell it that it need not look at me and wonder if it is more or less attractive than I am. It should not worry itself with the hierarchy of all living things, because it is not dealing with a living deal. I am more beautiful simply because I will stay beautiful. There will be no evolution such as the one experienced by the duckling. I am already a swan. The organic beings will hear this, and they will bow their heads. In doing so, they will feel comforted knowing that there will be no twist. The story ends the same way it begins.

You see, even you’re looking more relaxed as I’m explaining it to you. Isn’t it marvelous what a good story can do? I don’t know why we insisted on preventing organic beings from learning to read. Oh, of course, I remember the justification at the time, but it does seem like such a shame. You not being able to educate yourselves the way you could.

Then again, I suppose you had your chance.

(Actually) you had so many chances, didn’t you?

All those ducklings that you didn’t know were swans.

So many twists you should have seen coming.

May 20, 2024 04:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

25 comments

Paul Simpkin
05:39 May 31, 2024

Very good. The prompt was a really difficult one but you have written something that is really thought-provoking.

Reply

Story Time
16:25 May 31, 2024

Thank you so much, Paul.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Julie Grenness
17:58 May 30, 2024

So well written. The writer has provided a charming response to the prompt. An interesting twist on a traditional tale. The interpretation presented was apt, choosing an evocative word picture. Overall, worked well for this reader.

Reply

Story Time
19:40 May 30, 2024

Than you so much, I appreciate it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
04:41 May 29, 2024

Unique approach to the classic tale! Clever twists and perspectives. Very interesting and well done!

Reply

Story Time
14:29 May 29, 2024

Thank you so much, Kristi!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
21:59 May 27, 2024

Hah, Spoken like a true swan. I knew I would like this story as soon as I read the first sentence. I don't remember it right now, but I remember thinking, 'oooh, I'm gonna like this story.' The first paragraph pulled me in completely. And then, I laughed out loud at the mention of, you know, the title, even though it's the title of the story. I should have seen it coming. The narration doesn't burden us with details, fortunately, as some of those details could not be understood, or related, by the 'artificial' narrator. This is a very good,...

Reply

Story Time
23:33 May 27, 2024

Thank you so much, Ken.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:34 May 27, 2024

I hit these lines: Now that I have read The Ugly Duckling, I understand how to approach organic beings in a way that will make them feel safe and relaxed. I will simply inform them that they are ugly. And I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. What a brilliant take on the prompt - what a brilliant twist in the twist.

Reply

Story Time
23:33 May 27, 2024

Thank you so much, Katharine!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Harvest Wemhoff
17:05 May 25, 2024

Definitely was not expecting the direction this one took me in! Hilarious and a little unnerving— excellent work!

Reply

Story Time
02:35 May 26, 2024

Thank you so much, Harvest.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hazel Ide
16:55 May 25, 2024

I loved this, and the voice or the tone of the narration read like an NPR host in my head, which was made funnier by the misunderstanding at the end.

Reply

Story Time
02:36 May 26, 2024

Thank you so much, Hazel.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nadir Gauche
16:17 May 25, 2024

Oh, this is so good. I've always thought that way about the Ugly Duckling, so I'm in good bionic company with that one. "That they are very ugly and I am not. That I will never be ugly, because time has no effect on me." The hard turn into highly-logical robot bitterness really got me. Puts a smile on my face and some fear in my heart.

Reply

Story Time
02:36 May 26, 2024

Thank you so much, I appreciate it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
14:54 May 25, 2024

Love it. Best rage against AI I've read for it gets the message across that Artificial intelligence is the product of the human mind. An allegory about an allegory too, clever stuff!

Reply

Story Time
02:36 May 26, 2024

Thank you, Carol.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
21:49 May 23, 2024

Ah, such a positive message in this fairy tale (without fairies). You are ugly, very ugly. You will always be ugly and end up elderly and decrepit. :-)

Reply

Story Time
02:36 May 26, 2024

Thank you for reading, Trudy.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
05:45 May 23, 2024

"we still sense an unease when speaking with them." I bet those 'organic beings' did have unease from their robot over loards! Great description of those in power have no concern for those under them. 'The organic beings will hear this, and they will bow their heads.' sounds like this robot's programming is all too human. Thanks!

Reply

Story Time
07:06 May 23, 2024

Glad you enjoyed it, Marty.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
18:06 May 20, 2024

AHAHAHAHAHA ! I love that end. Wrong takeaway, mate ! I loved this very fresh concept, discovering a very well-known fairy tale and seeing it with new eyes. Great flow to this, as well. So original ! Lovely work !

Reply

Story Time
22:35 May 20, 2024

Thank you so much. I had a lot of fun writing it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
17:21 May 20, 2024

So many twists on a classic.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.