That's the thing about this city

Submitted into Contest #85 in response to: Start your story with the line, “That’s the thing about this city…”... view prompt

1 comment

Inspirational

Kelly Alaniz

3/17/21

#234

City Living


"THAT'S THE THING ABOUT THIS CITY. "


 That's the thing about this city; it is not a city rather, it's a town on the northern coast of California.

     The name of it is Eureka because, years ago gold was discovered in some of the creeks and rivers that are abundant here. Not so much anymore though, and Eureka has undergone many changes over the last century. Some good, some bad but, for the most part Eureka is a fairly nice place to live.

     There are a lot of old moneyed families that still live here. However, there is a new influx of people that move here from all over the U.S. annually. That's because of the university just up the highway. Then, there are many out of towners who stop in on their way to vacation at another destination and some just never leave.

    That's another thing about the town of Eureka,

 its surrounding beauty.

     Eureka used to be a major fishing port with it's dangerous but scenic opening from the ocean into Humboldt Bay. There used to even be an old whaling station on the outskirts of town.

     Although it's long gone now, visitors can still find pictures of the whaling station on the internet. 

     Humboldt Bay just happens to be the second largest bay on the west coast of America after San Francisco Bay.

      The surrounding forests are internationally famous for its giant redwood trees and

as a matter of fact, in 1909 after the "great earthquake" that destroyed San Francisco, millions of board feet of redwood was used to rebuild that city and it was provided via ship from the Eureka redwood forests. 

      There are also breathtaking scenic views from the pristine beaches and cliff tops all with generous parking and easy access. The sunsets are outstanding!

     Tourism is a large part of the economy for Eureka and there is a scenic waterfront district in "old town" and a new boardwalk along the bayfront. With its many quaint shops and excellent restaurants, cafes, and bistros along Eureka's waterfront district which has something for everyone.

     Another venue of interest in Eureka is the nightlife. There are many restaurants that include separate bar areas with ample dance floors and/or space to include live music. In addition, Eureka has several other watering holes to choose from.

     There are many choices of live theater outlets, movie houses, a performing arts venue and even a complete symphony orchestra. 

     Eureka is also famous in the art world and noted for its eclectic variety of artists along with venues for viewing and purchasing original artwork and other handmade products exclusive to this area. 

     "Arts Alive"night is an important event held once a month in "old town" Eureka where artists and artisans display their work in a myriad number of venues including sidewalk displays.  

    Humboldt Bay Tours is a popular attraction aboard a refurbished antique boat that includes daytime and evening excursions along with an open cocktail lounge. Another specialty of "old town" Eureka is the lovely open carriage ride that takes guests on an extensive sightseeing tour of the beautiful waterfront district. Many of the old original buildings that are well over 100 years old have been slightly restored to their time period and are definitely picture worthy. Many also have beautiful murals hand painted on them by notable local artists.  

     In summer there are other entertaining delights to choose from such as free outdoor concerts, street fairs, parades and fresh produce markets which include locally grown organic produce. These venues also offer local honey, and our famous award winning artisanal goat cheese as well as handmade goats milk soaps. Other local products include hand spun goat or rabbit fur yarns in a great array of natural dye colors. Local cured olives, vegetable plants and displays of colorful local grown herbs and flowers.  

     Just up the road are vast fields of tulips and lilies of every color that can be purchased at inviting roadside vegetable and fruit stands where samples are free. That's just another wonderful thing about Eureka.

     For the ladies there are several clothing shops to choose from, gift shops, an antique bookstore along with other specialty shops and a 71 store shopping mall in south Eureka. Coffee houses that roast their own beans, breweries that create their special artisanal brews, and dispensaries with a large selection of cannabis infused edibles and drinks can be found in the waterfront district as well. 

     Another major attraction are the wonderfully restored Victorian homes painted in bright colors with well manicured original landscaping. Eureka is also famous for its wide variety of colorful native rhododendrons and rose gardens. There is an extensive botanical garden that has both native plantings, unusual plants, a picnic area, plenty of free parking and self guided tours as well as handicapped accommodations.

Optimum time for flowers in bloom are of course spring through summer. 

     Of historical interest are several old native Indian sites as well as museums with original native artifacts such as costumes, basketry, images of villages and more. These are free and open to the public with guided tours or self guided tours. In the surrounding areas are several Indian reservations that are friendly and inviting. They offer gaming houses that are open to the public 24 hours a day. There are quality restaurants, live entertainment, specialty events, and beautiful hotel accommodations included within the gaming houses. 

     Eureka has whole family entertainment offerings such as mini golf, a zoo, several pocket parks with picnic tables and children's playgrounds. Also included are two larger scenic parks with hiking and bicycle paths, picnic areas, play grounds, disk golf courses, a duck pond and accommodations for large parties and weddings among the redwood groves.

These are all free to the public. 

     The thing about this town is, its convenience of location. For example, Eureka is located directly on highway 101 in the northwest corner of California. It is approximately a 4 hour drive from San Francisco or a short 40 minute flight from the airport in San Francisco to a large recently refurbished airport just 12 miles north of Eureka. About an hour and a half further up highway 101 is the Oregon border.

 An hour east of Eureka is the town of Willow Creek which is known for Bigfoot sightings in the surrounding forest. There is a dedicated museum to everything Bigfoot and is a major attraction for the area. 

     Twenty minutes south of Eureka is a small picturesque town full of Victorian homes called Ferndale. Just beyond that down a country lane is Centerville beach. It is a large beach area with free access to beachcombing, picnickingand fishing. Pets are welcome on leashes. 

     A little further beyond Ferndale is the small town of Fortuna, famous for its fresh apple cider. There, one can observe the entire process of apple cider making, enjoy free samples, and purchase freshly made apple products. 

     This entire area is considered a mini-ecosystem also known as the "Pineapple Express." The reason for this designation is the climate here has been compared to a Mediterranean climate.  

     Another major attraction is the natural redwood tree groves that are gloriously breathtaking and quite abundant throughout the town and outlying areas of Eureka. The Redwood National Forest is a magical natural wonder with protected herds of wild Roosevelt Elk, banana slugs, giant ferns, and delicate purple columbine flowers carpeting the forest floors. Marked trails for hiking, picnicking, and birdwatching are a local activity for everyone, and it's free! 

Upon planning your next vacation consider Eureka, California as your next destination you will not regret it!




March 18, 2021 04:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Caroline Burkey
01:41 Mar 25, 2021

Good description of Eureka. Makes me want to visit.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.