2 comments

Fiction Crime Black


“See, we swallowed our pride as a nation to even sit down facing each other in the name of negotiation. I don’t know how many organized nations that will agree to stoop so low like we did just for peace to reign. We want an end to this conflicts and release of all the school girls and they held hostage since two years now. The demand of one billion naira and release of all your members without conditions cannot work, one billion for what?", he querried. "From the look of things, we are not sure that they have peace in mind. These guys are terrorist and they must be made to understand that.

We are not military rulers, where we came from, there is what is known as election, if we release all these terrorist and handover this amount they are mentioning here, the press will add their own thought to what we said, and did and voters will vote us out of office, the opposition party will take over and I tell you; the hardliners there don’t have the word negotiation in their dictionary, infact, I am sure they never heard of the word before and the sufferers will be those helpless school kids you people rounded up. No one is even sure whether those school kids were even still alive, one billion naira, one year budget for a state, won’t it be better to add you as number 37 member of our nation?.”


“This is insult, slap on the face, deceit. We agreed to come here because we were deceived into believing we are talking to serious minded people from what we are witnessing here, we deduced that they didn’t come to talk but to insult, threaten and throw their weight around. For your information, we are not terrorist, we are soldiers of Allah, the Supreme one from the tune of your voice, we believed that the release of our fighters is not in your agenda. Concerning the money, you are not willing to releasing and recompense us for the feeding we have being feeding those kids you are pretending to care for, we have it in good authority that you have been starving our fighters and hitting them nonstop in the name of extracting information from them. No problem, one good turn always deserve another, watch out from today, we will treat you the way you treat us, he shouted. "That is the only language you dictators and infidels understand. Look here, we will start to execute those girls one after another.” he said.


“The situation of things are not encouraging, the government of Nigeria scored an own goal. Boko-Haram are pissed off, threatening to start execution of the kidnapped girls. African Union (AU) is wondering whether they will be able to find answer to the deadlock soon, how soon is soon is what AU don’t even know. Boko-Haram came with high hope but was quickly deflected by the tough talking Nigerian officials, Boko-Haram are beginning to believe that Nigerian government don’t have any plan to releasing their fighters and yet wants them to release the girls. AU is trying to get Nigerian government to release even few prisoners as a sign of goodwill gesture and who knows, it might make Boko-Haram not to execute or starve the girls as they threatened. If AU can achieve these aims, then, there might be opening for further talks in future."


A week later:

“In neigbouring Kaduna State, the parents of the kidnapped kids were busy encouraging people to join the opposition party for they see the ruling party as one holding their kids hostage. Disenchanted by the ruling party’s inability to secure the release of their kids, in particular the stale talk with Boko-Haram in which they threatened to start feeding the girls poorly or even execute them if their requirements are not met, the people of Nigeria seems to be divided on the issue, some were wondering why government that were siphoning billion of money into their personal account abroad could not meet the terrorist demand to free two hundred of her citizens while some supports the hardline stand of the government on the issue claiming that it is unheard off in four corners of planet earth. The opposition party since last week was hammering on the failed talk remainding people that two hundred families were in anguish today, due to the callousness of the unsympathetic ruling government that have refused to provide security to her citizens. If the ruling party performs poorly in the coming election, there might be mighty dissent against the president. He was made the head of the party and country due to his pass achievements as president during early 80, some were still attributing these achievement to his then vice-president.”


“In retaliation for the failed talk and terrible violence that followed in Maiduguri, the Nigerian government had come under severe criticizens for not adopting a more concrete line on Sharia. The issue has been on since August, when Kaduna said it would introduce Sharia. Many other northern states said they will follow suite. Boko-Haram claimed that they were states that were following their orders. They advised others to follow suit and ignore the ranting of the Christian community that they were all infidels that will end up in hell. Government caught in the middle were confused on how to react without being seen as being too weak or partial.

A week after the Maidguri violence, Boko-Haram invaded science school in president state, kidnapped about three hundred and fifty students, whether to spite on president face or to make him release fund, they were not saying. The president was under fire even from his own party, parents of the missing students, international organizations, Nigerian polity and all the stake holders.


“The Boko-Haram leader came out today to list requirement for the release of the kids, listed criteria for talk and ordered states that have not introduced Sharia to do so immediately to avoid being attacked, he told the parents of the missing kids to hold the president accountable if anything should happen to their kids. He ordered the government to close all girl’s schools in the whole north, close western education and open only Islamic schools. He gave government ultimatum to do all he said within four weeks or buy five hundreds caskets”. they said.


In Aso Rock, presidential advisers were busy analyzing Boko-Haram ultimatum in their own ways. Some were advising the president to ignore the threat, some were advising him to initiate another round of talk. Some claimed that it was in the interest of the kidnapped girls, others were suggesting talking to them secretly. President himself told them to give him three days to reply. He was planning on hearing from the service chiefs before addressing the nation. He advised everyone to keep the talk under wrap.

African Union on their part are threatening to send in troops to handle the situation they claimed that Nigerian government were handling the situation poorly, the terrorist were given freedom to roam around and they have entered Cameroon and Chad. If not check on time, it will spread to more nations and that was what they won’t allow to happen. Nigerian government on their part were warning that they will not allow their territory to be invaded by anyone whether AU or not.

January 11, 2021 14:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

02:21 Jan 21, 2021

Poor English. Reads more like a political harangue. Reader is expected to know the geography of the region and politics of the State.Out of 5 it gets nothing. CRITIQUE CIRCLE

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
06:59 Jan 21, 2021

Even the ink on the paper don't merit a point from you?. It is political of course. Professors read papers everyday to follow happening around the world. You sound myopic. I follow Asia alittle from here. Boko Haram is terrorist group like others you know.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.